Yellow Leaves and White Specks?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by pinkfloyd4life, Mar 20, 2007.

1. I received these babies yesterday from a friend in their current condition. They were in rockwool and I planted them in soil. There are a few problems I note to start with (the clones came as they are pictured). There is a top leaf that looks to have light burn (they were under floros before this but I have no idea how close) and the bottom one were there is more brown I am not sure (fert burn?). I know how to deal with both problems but for the fert burn I cannot stop fertilizing because I haven't started this is still fresh soil. Also he had obviously had some problems with this before as some of the lower leaves have been trimmed where they died. Is this good proceedure. In other words should I trim the leaves pictured and if so where is the best place to do it (take of the whole leafe or just tip?).

My other problem is that the other one has these small white specks on the top part of the leaf. They can be brush off with a gentle fingure stroke but seem to come back. I have done a lot of research into pests and mildew /mold (it doesn't look like spider mites or powdery mildew or downey mildew). I just don't know what to think about it. It is a little hard to see in the pciture but I tried to circle it.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. What type of soil are they in? If you are not fertilizing they must be in soil that has nutes because it looks fert burned. Sometimes it can be tricky going from rockwool to soil because the pH of rockwool should be set lower than the pH for soil. As for the white specs, if you see no bugs then thats good. I don't know if it would be mold or mildew.

3. Thanks for the response. They are in Kellogg Patio Plus soil (containing Bat Guano, Worm Castings, Canadian Peat Moss, perlit, horticultural sand, composted forest products, composted chicken manure, rice hulls, and kelp meal). I tested the pH and it was a little low (6-6.5) so I will add hydrated lime to the next watering. But all the damage shown in pictures was there when I got them (they were in rockwool). The soil does have nutes in it but the burn cannot be from the soil. Is it bad to have them in this soil at this point? Will it burn them more? It has been a couple of days and they are looking much better than when I got them.

4. I think the soil can burn them because something sure is burning them. You can try flushing them. It may or may not help.

5. :rolleyes: just saying about the soil looks very dry to me, maybe ur setup is getting to hot for your plants. Or something is totally wrong with your mixing ratio, over fertlizing might be a factor.

6. have you looked in to spider mites ??? cause to me those look like eggs closely look at the leafs and see if you see anything moving around i had the same problem

7. I think I have the same problem , today I walked outside to look at her and she had little white and brown holes in her , I haven't use fertilzer before but the soil has some crap in it idk whats in it honestly but my plant is 4 weeks old here's a pic

Attached Files: