Yellow and purple leaves.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Bwayney, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Greetings,

First time grower here. I have an outdoor grow here in the Northwest, all of which are Indicas. I have 3 strains of "Rude Boy", and one "White Tahoe Girl Scout Cookies". I received all of these as female clones, nearly 2 feet tall in May. They have been in 5 gallon buckets since May. I used fox farm soil with nutes included since the beginning. I have just cut off using bloom for whatever I believe is the last couple weks of flower, and water every few days.

One of my Rudeboy strains is far ahead of the other plants, and closest to harvest, but I am honestly not sure when to harvest. I first noticed the flowering stage beginning in the first few days of September, and it now is coming up on the last week of October. The nights here are roughly 45-50 degrees Fahrenheit, no lower. I imagine the purple leaves are due to the cold. However, nearly all of the leaves have turned yellow, starting a week ago.

I honestly am not sure if I am seeing any colas, however. A lot of the white pistils have turned orange, but not completely, however I have no idea where the actual bud is. Is it hidden beneath the leaves? I know this sounds stupid, but where are the colas in this stage? I have attached some pictures. Any recommendations would be great. I also noticed that some of the flowers in the middle of the plant are starting to die and turn crispy/brown. Not sure what is causing that. Rudeboy4.jpg Rudeboy2.jpg Rudeboy3.jpg Rudeboy1.jpg

2. The tops are colas. The last picture is a cola. The colas are usually made up of many closely packed buds. if you gently squeeze the tops you will feel lumps that's the buds. The fan leaves are your standard serrated blade with a long stem connecting to the center stalk. the bud is pretty much everything left behind after a good trim up which there are countless videos I would recommend on the you of tube.

As for the yellowing I would add cal-mag if you are at least a week from cutting. any closer than that and you really won't get any benefit now. The gradual yellowing from the bottom up is a good sign if you again are close to cutting as it means the plant has almost consumed all the bottled nutrients and salts out of the soil which will result in a better end smoke.

Here in Western Washington my weather sounds like yours. The center dying brown buds are a concern to me. If you are in the same general weather and your plants are not covered with fans blowing through them it is possibly bud rot. The nights here are cold and with humidity approaching 95% at night the buds get drenched and stay drenched which is a place for the spores to germinate. There is no cure for bud rot. If it appears to be black, Brown, tan, olive color. May even look like it's dusted in cinnamon it is very likely bud rot. if the upper portion of the leaf where it meets the center stem appears discolorored and a very gentle pull on it breaks it easily from the discoloration it is very likely bud rot. clear closeup Pictures will help others to identify it. all is not lost though yet. Those buds can be very gently covered in a bag and gently cut away. being careful not to knock spores off the bud and in to other healthy buds. since colas are made up of many smaller buds I have very gently found the place where stem of the bud that is infected meets the branch at and gently cut that off and remove. These buds are pretty much worthless except to make iso extract with. Be sure it is in fact bud rot though before you start cutting. Also thoroughly clean your scissors before and after each bud cut, I use 99% isopropyl alcohol. Best of luck.

3. So, in the middle, it's just the smaller buds that have turned brown and crispy, as well as the thin end part of the stem has also turned a brown color. All of the other stems and larger buds are in good shape. Should I cut off the inside stems that have turned brown from the main branch?

From what I can tell, there is no powdery mildew, or any rot that I can see. I wonder if I should be bringing in the plant at night, so it's not affected by the cold and humidity?

From the photos, can you tell how close the buds look to being ready?

4. Your picture reminds me of why I stopped using Fox Farm product in the late '90's. Sparse bud formation. Buds themselves look good, but I think you'll find that your yield will be rather low in relationship to size of the plant's frame. For whatever reason, Fox Farm stuff never provided adequate nutrient to allow my plant's interior internode bud sites to lengthen to their full potential. When all those secondary interior bud stems crowd together along the limb, and fill out with multiple flower clusters, then honey I'm tellin' ya, you'll be shittin' in tall cotton!

I wouldn't give the plant in your picture anything, except maybe consideration for harvesting, before the weather is supposed to turn next week. I think they've gone about as far as their gonna go for this season.

5. You are going to have to look at your trichomes through a loupe, 30x is a good number and is available on scamazon for about 8.00. that is the best way to tell how done they are.

That most definitely sounds like further progressed bud rot. The reason you are seeing it more so in the center than the outside is that is where the plant stays the most humid at all times. A close up picture would help identify it for certain. and yes you should cut it away. make sure your scissors are sterile before and after the cut and be very gentle to not spread spores. once you cut some off take it a good way from the plant and try to pull the bud open long ways. it will likely pull apart really easy showing a brown dusty looking stem.

6. This is the best picture I can get with the lighting. rudeboy5.jpg

I have a 10X-21MM Eye glass. Am I supposed to be looking at the trichomes at the top of the bud near the flower pistils? I can't really tell if they are clear or cloudy. I guess, I just am confused on whether or not I should harvest these buds in 3-4 days, because the rain is really going to pick up here and the temps are going to drop.

7. That depends. Which type of bud would you rather imagine yourself to be smoking this winter. The kind in your first pictures, or the type in your last?

8. Definitely the first. I just didn't know that if I harvested now, I wouldn't be letting the buds fill out to their potential because I still have 1-2 weeks left until the 8 weeks of flower.

9. Weather factors, more often than not, are what determines when to harvest outdoor plants in the PNW. I'd let 'em go as long as there's still sunny weather. A few sunny days and cold overnight temps can be all they need to finish out. If you haven't just today, I'd give 'em one more shot of water - say a 1/4 to 1/2 gallon to hold 'em for these last clear days. I believe that it helps with resin secretion.
    I'm sure that if harvested today, they'd still be more potent and flavorful than 90% of what's sold in the legal stores.
    Early flowering, rapid bud maturation and mold resistance, are what make for ideal characteristics of a good PNW outdoor strain.

• Like Like x 2

10. This is a no bottle nutrient grow.. only used Foxfarms soils(oceans forest and happy frog). It has produced beautiful buds, I wouldn’t go blaming the soil

Just my .02

Attached Files:

11. My issue was with their fertilizers; Grow Big and the bloom formula - forgot the name. Some plants did alright with it, but not anything extraordinary. For wilderness guerrilla growing, I find that water soluble fertilizer and native soil amended with good 'ole horse flop and dolomite lime just to be more cost effective and convenient.

• Like Like x 1