Yakattack90's organic gardening journal

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Yakattack90, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Greetings ladies and gents, I humbly request to join the amazing organic community here.

a little about myself as I embark on this journey. I am the type of person who prefers to be completely self sufficient. I am a home brewer and stiller.

Years ago I researched growing indoors but the cost of growing hydro with nutes kept me from pulling the trigger.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I'm having a sesh with my swmbo's cousin and the bag had a ton of seeds. Turns out his family grows on the farm and this is from a seed batch. We got to discussing growing in general and was picking his brain on growing food in the garden. He suggested i do some research into organic growing if I want the most out of my garden. The smoke was still great for having seeds in it, and as a luck would have it I was gifted the seeds from the sesh.

So back online for me. And I've been reading non stop. I've started some seeds. I have a my seedling soil started and even have a few that have sprouted.

My germination and clone chamber is a mini-fridge that is on its back. Guts removed leaving the white plastic inside. Light hung in the lid which is kept propped open about half inch for airflow and temp control.

I'm in the process of designing and building my grow rooms and could use some advice but we will get to that shortly.

Here's my goal
    1- completely organic. Both for smoke and food.
    2- cost concious. I'm on a budget at the moment but I'm sure with some high quality organic bud I will be able to finance some better gear within 6 months.

The idea is to have the germination chamber in the veg room. And then have a flowing room.
    If possible I would like to use led lights as electricity is bloody expensive here.

The space I have is 4 x 10 and will be split into 2 chambers.

I want to be able to harvest 1 to 2 mature plants every 10 to 15 days.
    I'm debated between using 5 gallon pots or making something larger. So any advice on this would be helpfull.

This is where all the sizing help is much appreciated.

Anyways I'm rambling now. Time to do up dishes from dinner. I'll post pics of the seedlings and the Chamber later tonight if time permits.

2. I'll drag up a chair and watch

• Like Like x 1
  3. As promised here are the pics
    Will update as things progress or as questions or problems arise

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. So question number one. Can seedlings thrive under 24 hour lights. If so for how long?

Question 2. I have the seeds germinating and growing (until try are to big for the chanber) under a 8 watt (actual) cfl and a 23 watt floresent tube that's meant for plants and aquariums ( wide spectrum). Should I be switching the lights to a 18/6 or a 20/4 light schedule as soon as they pop?
    2 out of 4 original starter seeds sprouted and then died (never grew past opening) one is just barely hanging on but I don't think it will make it. And the 4th as pictured above is doing well. Seems to be slow to grow as that's 4 or 5 days old now and isn't swing much growth to the first two true leaves. The second round ( I believe 8 had the arospire great through and make it into soil) are in and 3 are already breaking the surface so I'm hopeful that I'll end up with one or two mothers out of this free bag of seeds.

My tomato plants are just popping though and saw a number of shoots break the surface over night. Anyways time to grab my coffee and about my day.

Oh. I've pulled the plug for thr lights. Giving them 4 hours dark and 20 light and see if that might be part of why I'm not seeing much growth yet.

I'm thinking of building some wooden plater boxes. Transpanting directly into 8 to 12 gallons of soil from the seedling chamber. In the veg chamber they can be put into rows with them tight. Where as the flower room will be more spread out. Unless someone advises otherwise.

5. Subbed id be glad to help you along the way. And seedlings will grow fine under 24/0. Theyll probably veg 30% faster than just running 18/6. Alot of ppl argue that in veg regardless seedlings need dark. I muself have never noticed a difference. They grow just as fine and faster. Its your call 20/4 is good too. Especially if your doing it to temp reasons to cool the lights. 18/6 helps also if you go into dark when you normally go to sleep. Makes it look more normal if you have a big set up going on. But other than that reason to me theres nothing different for the plants with the cycles. Its all on the growers preference on what he likes to do.

6. And id advise against transplanting the seedling into that big of a deal of soil. When you do that the plants will be having to search more in the dirt for water and nutrients. I transplant them after the seedling stage to a small half gallon pot to 1 gallon. Then after that a month before flower i move them to the big pots. Theylll be able to take advantage of the soil more.

7. Hey T.G. thanks for the reply. I've got them under a 20/4 schedule right now. Wanted to give the floresent bulb a break.

I wI'll be letting them veg in the bins for the next few weeks atleast. Still have to build the veg room. Thankfully my grow if away from prying eyes so light leak isn't an issue and with Leds power draw shouldn't be bad either.. I hope.

I'm still debated on room sizing and how much I want to be harvesting. Even considering doing 1 big harvest ( 6 to 10) which should supply me for the year. Get a few strains in and then I'll have variety too or keep 2 smaller rooms going on a non stop basis. Growing much like jerry talks about in other threads where he's harvesting a plant every 7 to 10 days.
    Decisions. Decisions decisions

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I can give you my two cents. I grow organic and have for a few seasons now. Your lighting is a bit low. Normally 60 watts per plant is needed for optimum growth. I use a 1000watt metal halide for veg at 50percent until plants have 3 sets of leaves then at 100 percent with a 24 inch distance from plant to light. This time I did a reveg on some super silver haze so after harvest I clipped them back and put them back into veg. So I kept my light at 100 percent the entire time but only because it's a reveg scenario. As for nutes I use bat guano, blood meal, bone meal, kelp, alaskan fish meal, and tea tree oil as a folar spray. Soil is happy frog mixed with cocco shavings and organic seed starter. Cocco top layer helps with water retention. I started my seeds in 5 gallon pales and it's where they remain today. I harvest approix 1200 grams of dried cured bud off 12 plants the first run. I'm hoping to increase that off the reveg ladies as the root structure and plant base are fully developed already. We will see I guess. Hope your grow is good. If u ever have any questions just send me a message bro.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hey man, just for reference on amazon they've got what you are looking for. You'll just have to DIY with the wiring. Then as I was shown once before by @Tbone Shuffle ( the fucking man for qb's), at arrow.com they have the drivers you need at a great price. One driver will run 4x boards.

IMG_3302.PNG IMG_3303.PNG

11. The quantum boards look promising and at some point I will flip to led. For cost if I were you I would use a 600 watt hps light. Yield lab is good. It's the brand I use and won't break the bank. I use to use a 600 for a few plants. Now I run 2 1000s in tandem. The 1000 hps is nice but it requires alot of ventilation to stay cool so for starting out the 600 is better. Revegging is basically putting the plants back into a veg state after flower so u don't have to start seeds again. Basically I chopped plant down and flipped lights back to an 18-6 from the flower 12-12. Gave them a large shot of nitro to revert them back. Saves some time and potency should increase 2nd time around. As for pot size that's a bit technical, yes a bigger pot will grow a bigger plant but it's not just the pot size, u have to Veg it longer to. Me personally I've always used 5 gallon buckets indoors. I veg for around 5 weeks and then flower on a scrog table. Larger pots seem to be more bennicial outdoors. A 5 gallon indoors is a good manageable size for a standard 5 week veg in my opinion. Lastly if you decide to scrog it's much easier to use the same strain. Many new growers use multiple and it's a nightmare as each strain stretches different and flowers different. I've grown for quite a while indoors and out. Indoors it's much easier to grow single strains at a time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Well here's the update with pics after this post.

I have transplanted out of the community starter bin into small starter pots which they will spend the next week to 2 weeks vegging in slowly in the starter cabinet as they build up root mass.

Out of the 40+ seeds I started with I have 9 plants that have made it to this stage
    I lost 6 that germinated and even sprouted but for whatever reason didn't make it. This 9 will then be trained and the cutings turned into clones with labeling so if the mother turns out to be a father then they can be pulled early.

The aim is to get 6 to 8 plants in the flower chamber over the first month. ( when ready) Keeping the rest in veg so that the harvest is one plant every 2 weeks. The lag will smooth out after the initial harvest.

One plantay have a genetic anomaly as part of the leaf is yellow and twisted but otherwise the rest of the plant seems healthy.

Other than that you will see other plants in the cabinet as well
    Tomato surrounding the ladies. And then there strawberries, cucumbers and more tomatoes in the red and green Potts. I'm going to have to set up another cabinet just for my herb garden ( basil ect), the kids love dads new kitchen gardening project. Completely oblivious to the other grow away from little eyes.

13. Well it's been almost 3 weeks since my last update. Pictures will come later today.

All 9 plants are for the most part healthy. I'm still trying to dial in my watering, but with the next transplant I should be better equipped to give them the right amount of water when they need it.

They are still vegging in the small chamber. No need to move them for another month yet.

I will be topping them today or tomorrow in order to get 2 cuttings off of each plant. The originals will be mainlined and tossed under 12/12 in 2 to 4 weeks, once I've topped it's 2 or three times. This will be to sex the plants. If they are female the mothers will be allowed to flower out for all 9, and the cutting that root will continue to veg until they are mainlined into 8 to 12 bud sites and then the cycle continues. Any males will be culled and composted.

I also need to get some cuttings ready soon for my outdoor garden.

I had my fan go out I'm the grow box a week or so ago. Temps hit 115 before I caught it. Didn't loose any due to it but it hurt them for a few days. They've since recovered and are happily growing.

I will be ordering a few of the cheap Chinese 50w full spectrum cobs. To up my lighting. If I get an average draw of 5 to 8 watts per led 15 to 20 should be all I really need for vegging. I also will be getting mylar shortly too to build the flower room.

Anyways this cheap old bastard has to head into work for a bit. Later gc.
    Yak

14. Look at the hisdard led lights on Amazon. I just picked up 2 of the 1000watt ones for 140 each. The spectrum is nice and the quality of light is great for the price.

15. Well few new changes. Just picked up a 600w mh. A 10x25 roll of panda plastic and a 54 inch x 25ft mylar roll.

6x6 grow room will be put together shortly. For.now.it's just bare bulb over plants. Not ideal but better than what they were under.

Anyways that's all for now

16. Well it's been a while since I've last updated. Been mostly in read only mode.

So indoor garden is moving along. 8 plants survived. All are in 5 gallon or bigger pots in the last few weeks of vegging. They will be flipped as son as I figure out how to get a clone to root. Can't seem to get it to take. More time reading in my immediate future.

Bigger changes have taken place. Thanks to gc, I also started an organic vegetable garden outside, and have found my version of therapy ( gardening)

Anyways not much to report otherwise. Few pics for your enoyment. 20180624_203040.jpg 20180624_203040.jpg

Attached Files:

17. Looking nice man. I don't clone so I'm not much help, I did do a reveg which worked out good. The plants I posted earlier I flowered again for a second time and the yield has seemed good. Flower quality looks good. I ended up using 3 of those hisdard lights but the lights seemed to produce a nice yield. Not having heat issues was nice. Hopefully by this weekend I can harvest, I cut a few buds to dry and try for potency. There are dripping wet with resin so I'm hoping the smoke will be stronger even than the original grow earlier this year. Reveg seems to be well worth it man. IMG_03221.jpg IMG_03211.jpg tapatalk_1529466839641.jpeg tapatalk_1529758413466.jpeg tapatalk_1529758407401.jpeg tapatalk_1529758413466.jpeg tapatalk_1529466845416.jpeg

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. Damn, that looks yummy. That's awesome for a reveg,I'm still going to have to try that. The reason for cloning is my one plant is already showing she's a female in veg. So I want to make sure that I keep her around post flip incase it's really good stuff ( mystery seeds lol)