Y cant i use ALUMINUM FOIL??

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by trillyen, Mar 2, 2009.

1. I was just reading threw rumples, bubble bucket thread and it says something about DO NOT USE aluminum foil???

y because it retains het or what???

i was just about to line my grow box in it, it reflects light well and im not sure but i bet its cheaper than mylar!!!!

thank u ahead of time!!!

2. It causes heat spots and is just awful to work with. There are lots of other things to use, mylar can be a pain to clean. Flat white paint works ok

Good luck

3. u can use tin foil with leds and clfs, but once u use hid lamps, the tin foil will cause hot spots

4. well that makes since so ill use aluminum foil in my veggie room and paint my flowering room white!!!

thanks u guys!!!

5. Tin foil is still awful! If you must use it then be sure to use the dull side, tin foil is my pet hate!

Good luck

6. Just another confirmation - Aluminum foil is a last resort option, and then only the dull side. The shiny side results in uneven distribution and increases the amount of hot spots and if you plan on using an HID, this can damage a plant in an extremely short amount of time. Using fluoro's on the other hand you could get away the foil, but there are much better options. Flat white paint or white visqueen plastic are good options. Mylar is an excellent reflector of light, but it can lose it's luster/sheen and efficiency after time. Good luck and congrats on your decision to grow your own meds, welcome to the club.

7. This stuff about hotspots is another old wives´tale.
    If I focused the heat from a lamp with the accurately configured parabolic mirror from my Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope, I might be able to produce a hot spot if I got the plant at exactly the mirror´s focal length.
    No WAY is a piece of crinkled up Aluminium foil (not tin foil, that hasn´t been made for years) going to be able to bring rays from a lamp to any kind of focus.
    All you guys who mentioned hot spots have just READ about it and are simply passing the INCORRECT information on. NONE of you have experienced it, because it just doesn´t happen.

There is absolutely no reason why aluminium foil cannot be used as a reflector. It has good reflectivity (which is why my telescope mirror is aluminised), is available in every supermarket, and is dead cheap. I think mylar may have even better reflectivity, but is not so readily available and costs a lot more.

8. thanks man, i appreciate the welcome, and ill take the information into consideration, sounds like u know your stuff, and are very knowledgable of the hobby

this is gonna b my first grow that i actually ever get to see the actual buds on a plant and im so excited, i mean i seen the hairs before on some of my old grows but never the buds and stuff all budded out in clusters ya know!!!

thank u

Hey thanks for the scientific detailed post, lol Have u ever used aluminum foil to grow before???

i was just wondering. so would u reccommend using the dull side over the bright side also??? thanks again

thank everyone that responded or responds to this add!!!

9. I see no reason to use the dull side, I have done a bit of homework here, and as expected it is not so reflective. Surely we want maximum reflectivity, to get maximum light reflected onto our plants?

10. I agree that the "hot spots" issue is a myth. I suppose there is the remote possibility that out of a million setups a particular crinkle to the particular angle of the light could cause a hot spot, but the vast vast majority would not concentrate the focus of the light right onto the plant.

Aluminum foil is less reflective than either mylar or flat bright white paint. True that it is shiny so seems very reflective, but remember that our eyes perceive light, we don't absorb actual light directly.

11. I seem to remember Jorge Cervantes explaining how tin foil is not ideal because it reflects light at angles that don't benefit the plant (obtuse if im remembering correctly). I don't know if this is like a 5% mitigation or something more substantial -- but I do remember hearing that rationale.

12. Aluminium (NOT tin foil) will obey the same laws of reflection as any other reflective material.
    ie Angle of incidence = Angle of reflection, both rays being in the same plane.

13. i still think tin foil causes hot spots with HIDs

14. From a purely practical standpoint, it would seem much easier to throw a couple coats of white paint up than to mess with hanging foil. Foil would still probably be cheaper for a small box, but for a room a bucket of paint would be much cheaper than a few rolls of foil.

15. Wow thanks for all the insight guys, and so no one thinks im choosing sides im gonna do my veg room in alum foil and my flowers in white paint cause i already got them both soo thats whats up

wow u guys now your laws of physics, and they say all pot smokers are stupid

thanks for the great arguments guys

i wish all my threads turned out like this i actually learned something!!!

16. Hahahaha yep, pot smokers know whats really good just bc no matter what people say getting "high" is diff for everyone, and some people hang out and do nothing but some of us obviouslly like these guys they read and or learn, im like them, not as fact crucial but i like to draw, ride, or just do something, kudo's to you guys for DOING something when you get high. and kudos to you trillyen for growing your own stuff keep Puff N' Tuff:smoking:

17. LOL, WELL SAID srh AND THANK U

ILL b growing some shit here n a few if my seeds ever get here lol

thanks man!!!