Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Xmas-time hospital raid busts dying man

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Storm Crow, Dec 26, 2022.

1. Even for Kansas, this seems low.

Christmastime hospital-room raid busts dying man for using marijuana extract | Opinion
    Christmastime hospital-room raid busts dying man for using marijuana extract | Opinion
    Dion Lefler
    Sat, December 24, 2022 at 3:40 AM PST

If you’re like me, you might question whether raiding a dying man’s hospital room to bust him for possession of marijuana extracts is the best use of police time.

But this Christmas season, it happened in Hays.

Police went into a room at Hays Medical Center on Dec. 16 and seized a terminally ill patient’s vaping device and some edible paste containing THC. They cited him for drug possession and set a court date for Jan. 2.

He’s essentially bedridden and in the final stages of terminal, inoperable cancer.

I called the Hays Police Department about it. The dispatcher said she’d have someone call me, but that hasn’t happened yet.

The news of the bust was relayed to me by one of the patient’s friends. I talked with the patient, 69-year-old Greg Bretz, by phone from his hospital room and he described what happened.

He said he’s “flat on my back” in his hospital bed and can’t stand up unassisted. He’s been using his vaping device and eating a little bit of the THC paste on bread to relieve his symptoms since he was hospitalized about three weeks ago.

He said a doctor told him to do whatever he wants if it makes him feel better, because there’s basically nothing medical science can do for him anymore other than hospice care. (snipped)

Granny

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. God Weed laws suck.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. @Blix That is an understatement!

Granny :wave:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. If I knew more about it and wasn't such a dinosaur I'd say start a fund me page and see he gets a fresh supply every day. Unless the cops are willing to put an officer in his room we can simply overwhelm and outflank them.

The sad part is even this far gone massive doses of Cannabis have done amazing things. The patient has to be willing to be stoned into psychedelic land constantly for a month but I've witnessed the incredible results possible.

They only seek my help after being sent home to die by the medical industry. "We've done all we can for you" Is your will up to date?

BNW

• Like Like x 3
  5. #5 BrassNwood, Dec 26, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
    BadKats CannaPharm: Medical Grade Oil, Cannabis Capsules, UV GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna Bombs more
    Here it is. At least as good as RSO. Far better IMO as it has a much clearer head.
    Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads
    My work on her recipe.
    Direct oil is dead simple as all you need is an oven and a cat food dish.

Decarb first 240 F for 40 minutes (weed baked in the oven uncovered)
    Next grind to dust if using buds.

5 grams decarbed Kief, Hash, or Powdered Buds
    1 tablespoon Coconut oil
    1/2 teaspoon Lecithin
    Combine
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes

Done.

[​IMG]

BNW

• Like Like x 2
  6. I'm terminally ill, and when I'm in my death bed, everyone can kiss my ass with rules.
    Going to have a friend bring me a cocktail of stuff.

• Like Like x 4
  7. What state did this inhuman act happen

8. Oh, Come On!!! Seriously??? That is REALLY LOW!!! That poor patient will probably die before his court date. Same thing happened in the hospital I worked at. They had a patient on the third floor but he wasn't terminal and he lit up. Smoking of any kind wasn't allowed but they called the cops just to make sure he wasn't running a drug ring out of his hospital room. Some hospitals don't care about their patients until they see them self medicating then they throw a fit. It's prescriptions that they are missing out on charging you for. And you would be shocked at how much drug companies make on just one months supply of Digoxin. It costs pennies to make but Wal-Mart charges $80 for a 30 day supply. I know everyone likes to make a profit, but there's a line between making a profit and greed. This is the worst kind of greed, profiting off of someone else's misery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I think Granny's post said Kansas. I know some senator or representative is going to file a new bill next year for legalizing cannabis in that state. I hope it goes through.

• Like Like x 1
  10. It happened in Kansas. The only POSSIBLE good I can see about this is that if it gets enough press that it infuriates a lot of people and get the medical bill passed sooner, rather than later! If you can, you might spread this article around - tell a few friends, post it up, maybe even write a letter or two if you live in Kansas or other "unfriendly" state.

No one is immune to getting cancer, and NOBODY wants to end up in a situation like Greg Bretz. And the fact is, this could happen to anyone, if they have the misfortune to live (or to fall ill) in a state like Kansas, Nebraska or Idaho! It's possible even in a state that is "CBD only", or allows just minimal amounts of THC.

Things like this should NEVER happen, but they WILL- until we change the laws! Cannabis needs to be de-scheduled (more people die from aspirin overdoses in one year than have died from herbal cannabis overdoses in the last century- and cannabis is the "dangerous drug"? :confused_2: )

I know I'm "preaching to the choir", but dang it "choir", do a little activism this year. Doesn't have to be much! Comment in news articles on cannabis; share the original article I posted, especially if your state has restrictive laws;
    maybe write a Happy Holidays letter to your cannabis-loving friends, go to the link below, grab the links and send them! New 2022 Granny Storm Crow's List

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. A close friend is in this position now, he’s not deviating from what big pharm is directing him to do, and keeps turning down my offers to help. Both he and his wife are really stressed out and aren’t sleeping well. I can’t get them to even try a hash cap, but they keep taking the Ambian. :thumbsdown:
    Like you, I pretty sure he’ll come around from his deathbed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Granny, I'm not far behind you in age. I'm 60 soon to be 61 in March and growing old is very tiresome. I hurt in places that I didn't think would hurt. And since I've been in this shape, cannabis is making more and more sense. As a child I've seen more lives destroyed by alcohol than any other drug but alcohol is legal. Go figure. I've wrote to Senator Todd Young, Republican-Indiana, so many times that he has stopped returning my e-mail. I guess I will have to start calling now.:love-m3j: I have a long list of law makers in Indiana that I guess I will have to bug to death about the benefits of legalization. I've been invited to join Warrick County Democrats since the Republicans won't do anything for this state and it looks like for the first time in my life I will be involved with politics besides voting. After moving here from Kentucky last year, I am shocked to see the amount of restrictions they have on just the fishing laws here, not to mention the quality of health care. Republicans have been in power here for the last 20 years and a lot of people are complaining about the cost of healthcare, quality of education, etc. If they want change, they have to vote! Even if that means voting for a party that you are not a part of. I'm a Democrat, but I don't always vote by party. I vote for who I think would make a good, President, Senator, Representative, etc. People need to vote like that, not just blindly follow your party. Find a candidate that represent what YOUR values and cases are, what you want done. Vote them in office and if they lied more than the last three justices appointed to the Supreme Court, then vote them out the next election and keep doing that until you find someone that is willing to stand up for what's right and not what goes along the party lines that are out dated. If ALL of the parties want to survive, they must evolve, and keep up with the times. The times of when women, people of color, different religions, and cultures were considered second-class citizens, are over. It's time to mature as a species. WE must evolve.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Update......I think the cops got a "few" irate calls and emails. :laughing: But I'm glad they dismissed the ticket. since it was reported that he had oxygen in his room, I can understand the hospital not allowing the vaporizer, but the THC paste should be allowed.

Police dismiss ticket issued to Kansas cancer patient found vaping in hospital room (news – 2022) https://www.ksn.com/news/state-regi...cancer-patient-found-vaping-in-hospital-room/

HAYS, Kan. (KSNW) — The Hays Police Department and Hays Medical Center are receiving threats after an article was published that the police chief is calling “misleading.”

Hays Police Chief Don Scheibler says a mischaracterization of this incident as a “raid” resulted in the story being spread worldwide. That being said, the son of the man at the center of this case says more needs to be done in Kansas to help terminally ill patients.

“Kansas really needs to legalize medical marijuana and help those who actually need it,” Lee Bretz, the son of 69-year-old Greg Bretz, said. (snipped)

• Like Like x 5
  14. I worked in a hospital for 8 years and the only time they worry about O2 in the room is when it's on. I know that for a fact. That is the only time they worry about it when it is on. 2 liters is the usual setting. But I have seen people that were on 10 liters. That is the absolute limit on O2. And I've only seen two patients in 8 years that were on that much and we had to put up a sign that O2 was in use on the door. Because at the time vape pens were new and since they didn't pose a fire hazard. Patients, and family were allowed to vape. Then when the hospital moved to a different part of town, all smoking was banned on the campus. Because they wanted a "healthier" hospital and town. That's a laugh. When you work at a hospital, you learn fast which doctor to go to and which one to stay away from. And I've seen A LOT of screw ups by doctors.

• Like Like x 2
  15. @Storm Crow
    having a swat type raid that goes looking for illegal drugs in a hospital while only targeting one individual is so much like a raid I'm not sure what else to say about that ... using force to look for drugs is a raid..

• Like Like x 2
  16. And the sad end of the story-

Cancer patient dies three weeks after hospital room raid seized his marijuana extracts | Opinion
    Cancer patient dies three weeks after hospital room raid seized his marijuana extracts | Opinion
    Dion Lefler
    Wed, January 18, 2023 at 3:05 AM PST

I found out this weekend that Greg Bretz died last week.

Here’s hoping that his story will inspire the Kansas Legislature to put compassion for terminally ill people over outdated war-on-drugs politics.

I didn’t know Mr. Bretz as well as I wish I did.

I only encountered him in the last month of his life, after he was cited by Hays police the week before Christmas on criminal charges of using marijuana extracts, while he was flat on his back in a hospital room dying of inoperable cancer.

Police, called in by hospital staff, confiscated his vaping device and some THC-containing paste that he ate on bread to alleviate his symptoms. This, after a doctor told him to do whatever he wanted if it made him feel better, because there was nothing more that medical science could do for him.

I spoke with Hays Police Chief Don Scheibler several days after my story ran and he said the officer who wrote the citation was uncomfortable about it, and the same day sent an e-mail to the prosecutor’s office asking that the charges be dismissed.

Apparently, the prosecutor agreed at some point.

But nobody told Mr. Bretz.

He was cited on the Monday before Christmas. He wasn’t informed the charges would be dropped until Tuesday a week later, three days after my story ran and brought some unwelcome national attention to Hays, its hospital and its police department. In the meantime, a friend helping with his care told me he had tried to contact the prosecutor about it but couldn’t get a callback.

So while Hays ultimately undid the mistake, Mr. Bretz spent his final Christmas believing that he was still under criminal charges.

One thing that Scheibler told me does resonate. The young officer told the chief he felt he had no choice but to issue a criminal citation under the circumstances, and followed the rules when he saw a law being broken.

In this case, it’s the law that’s broken.

Kansas stands as one of only three states that doesn’t make allowances for the use of marijuana and/or its extracts by the terminally ill.

Our state is unnecessarily cruel and senseless in that regard. Cancer patients are routinely prescribed debilitating opioids — hard drugs — for pain control, and nobody seems to have a problem with that.

Nobody, that is, except the patients themselves. (snipped)

Granny

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Grrrrr….:mad:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1