Xbox isn't working properly.

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by SmokeSquad, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Recently my Xbox has been having some issues, it still works fine, but the problem is that if there is not a disk in the drive, it will have a very hard time opening. It will take numerous times of pushing the eject button and it just won't open :( Sometimes i get to the point where i have to get a small screwdriver and pry it open to get a game in. If i can manage that, it has a hard time reading the game. So GC, other than buying a new xbox console, is there anyway to fix this?

2. Hmm, damn yeah it sounds like the tray is just fucked up. If it doesnt work from the dashboard either to open it then you proabably need to get it fixed cause its not gonna fix itself. Perhaps theres a local place you can take it in instead of having to call microsoft and send it to them? I know how much of a bitch that can be. Hopefully its still under the one year warrenty too. Also maybe since its not really a hardware problem hopefully it will be cheap. I wish i could help ya more my man but technology isnt really my element.

3. #3 OneLove22, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2011
    mine did this... eventually broke completely but it opened a little easier. If when you close it with a game and it doesn't even recognize it then that's a common problem. Typical xbox bullshit you'll prolly end up having to buy a new one.

4. ... never had this problem with my ps3.:wave:

5. Thats cause it probably sits in the corner collecting dust.:p

6. like an expensive paperweight

7. but it plays blu-rays great :)

8. True. That's the best thing about it.

9. What kind of xbox are you using? Arcade, Pro, Elite?

The older model ones do seem to do this after awhile, my Pro did it, and my cousions Pro is doing it now, and my best friend's Elite did it. My 4 gb never did it though.

10. #10 DrFragenstein, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2011
    30 bucks on ebay for a new dvd drive it will take about 20min to fix , just make sure you get the right drive xbox has a shit load of different drives.

Attached Files:

11. imagine that an xbox not working

12. Its a Pro i think. I got it christmas 2007. came with a 10 gig harddrive

13. It's a common problem with Samsung and Philips drives for 360s. The belt doesn't have enough grip which has a hard time trying to move. Try getting some belt dressing, if you can get the tray open, you'll see what I'm talking about. PM me if you have any other questions. I fix this problem a lot at work.

14. Swap the small rubber belt in it. If out of warranty, disassemble it and dust the drive and heatsinks out, too. 12v mod the fans, and it will NEVER fail.

15. Beat me to it...
    If your DVD tray wont come out and makes that noise where its stuck on something, try taking off the faceplate to see if that works.
    The more permanent solution is to replace the rubber belt in the drive (if you have those rubberbands for braces, they're prefect) OR just take it out and wash it.
    You dont even need to open your xbox for it. Just open the dvd tray, take the game out, and you should see a black rubber band in there. Just get a toothpick or something and carefully take it out.
    There's a video on youtube if you need visuals :D

16. Few months ago I had that problem. Then it would just say Open Tray when I put discs in. For about two months, the only way I could play disc games was by banging on the top of the box after closing the tray. Now that doesn't work. I took apart my box last night and cleaned all the dust out and reset the laser but it seems it's the motor that spins the disc. It spins like twice when I open/close so I don't know what to do either. I tried everything people had up on Youtube and nothing worked. I'm so fed up with xbox.. If I buy another one I'll be on number 8..

17. Fuck that, I gave up on 6.

Got a Nice PC now and I'm waiting on BF3

18. You two have shitty luck. :laughing: I'm on Xbox # 3 But not because the other 2 crapped out on me, just simply because I wanted to upgrade.

I sold Xbox #1 but Xbox #2 still works like new.

19. dude send it in to microsoft. dont do anything else.

the disk drives on the older xboxs seem to have a lot of weird problems.

ive had 0 problems with the new model arcade and my new slim.

20. #20 DrFragenstein, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2011
    i know the best way to solve your problem chuck it in it's proper home(the garbage) and upgrade to a man's system(PS3) you'll never be happier i have two ps3's my first one now has a 250gb harddrive which only costed me 70 dollars from best buy and it has been running HARD for 4 years, we have six people in my house and it get's used A LOT. all i do is vacum it out like once a month