Wwyd: Roommate Broke Downstem And Tried To Hide It

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by cebram, Jun 28, 2014.

1. I have a 500 Blue series customized ROOR that I bought while living in Germany which I have since brought back to the states.  My roommate would often ask to borrow it for an hour or two and would eventually tend to hold on to it longer than that to the point I would have to remind and ask him to return my bong, hours or even days later.  I just recently got a job and have been away from the house more often than usual which means that I hadn't seen him as frequently but considering that we are roommates I still see him daily.  I remembered last night that about 4 days before I had let him use the bong while I went to work and thought that it was odd I hadn't seen him using it as usually as he would when it's in his possession.  Here's how the scenario breaks down:

I asked for the bong in which he replies, "Do you need it now" while concentrating more on his computer game than me.  "Yes", I respond.  He tells me where he put it and I grab it and go back to my room.  At NO POINT did he mention it was damaged.  I'm in my room disassembling it when I pull the downstem diffuser out and immediately feel the weight difference, since it's now snapped in half, and notice the damage.  I then walk back in his room and ask him why my stuff is broken and he immediately puts blame on his friend who was over smoking and said he put too much ice in it, blah blah blah, either way he broke it as far as I'm concerned.  I tell him very clearly you or your friend have to pay me the amount or buy the part and have it shipped from a reputable ROOR dealer rather than a local store who most likely have fake non-German ones considering I want the original part.  He said he'll talk to him, I leave the room without saying anything trying to calm myself down.  An hour or so later he comes out to talk to me and apologizes and tells me how it could be worse (I understand, but what's worse than trying to hide it from me) and uses the worst excuse I could ever imagine, "well you and I have been working allot so we never see each other and I didn't have the time to tell you."  He could have told me when we were playing soccer with each other earlier that same day, he could have called or texted, he could have told me as soon as I asked for the bong, etc etc etc. Lame excuse... pissed me off beyond belief.

If he would have immediately let me know as soon as he could I would have had way more respect for the man and most likely would have told him it was ok just go half on new part with me but since he tried to cover it up I don't feel so kind and I'm furious about the whole thing.  When I first let him use the ROOR we were both understanding of, "the rules", and if anything happened to break it had to be replaced.  He's at work right now and I figured while my minds wandering about what will happen this 2nd day since then, wether he'll pay or not, what would you do?  Go crazy, I would love to read it all...

2. I'd get on him about paying you back. if he doesn't I wouldn't beat him up or anything, I just wouldn't let him use my glass anymore  

kinda fucked of him not to just tell you though. I'd be tempted to stop letting him use my stuff for that alone. 

3. You know they sell german roors here, if you calm yourself you could probably look and find, and talk to someone with a job relating to the grasscity store with a simple email. I almost did that when I needed a new downstem for my german roor, but then I said fuck it when I found a glassblower selling exactly what I needed on ioffer, with a diffuser. Saved me a lot of hassle, and despite the fact it doesnt have roor printed on it, it is just a good, or better quality. Just a thought on what your options could be.

4. Burn his house down.

5. no you know he's a spineless liar..  information is power

6. OK man you let him borrow you shit, ITS his responsibility for what happens to it. Boom. Done. End of thread.

WHAT ID DO: go and find the NICEST Fuckin downstem you ever laid eyes on. Purchase that shit, pay for over night shipping. Then, give the receipt to your buddy. Done. If he doesn't pay, then you have a problem.

DONT JUST FORGET OR BRUSH IT OFF, you trusted someone and theyre responsible for it, even if it wasn't them who broke it. I mean, you didnt break it right?

7. If your "buddy" didn't just up and offer to pay for it and you have to find out this way, well, he sucks as a friend.  He sounds sheisty.  You ever get the feeling he doesn't pay his share of shit, or he uses your shit way more than you use any of his?  If so, I'd drop him as a friend.  

8. #9 organicpandemic, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
    if he doesnt pay to fix in 2 days just sell his PC monitor to cover costs then give him the rest. 

if that was me and the bong wasnt put back everytime spotless AND his friends were using it i would be PISSED. he should of ordered a new part ASAP (i would of done it before i even spoke to you or at least find one)

9. Get his undivided attention and have a "man to man" conversation.

Give him two weeks to purchase a replacement after which time YOU will find a replacement and bill him accordingly. 

If he doesn't have money, Tell him to man up and get a job or sell belongings.  His lack of funds is none of your concern, especially if he can afford weed. 

Friendship might not be on the line, but RESPECT will be. 

10. Run up and hammer fist him in the forhead while screaming ATTACK ATTACK! Nah but seriously just tell him to pay you back by a certain date or you'll break something of equal or lesser value that belongs to him. An eye for an eye.

11. I second this. but if you pawn something of his make sure he doesn't have the serial to report it stolen or any bullshit like that. when people fuck me over they get it back 10x harder. paint thinner on his car might teach him a lesson also 

or brake fluid.

13. #14 IllestVillain, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
    lol.

Habitually took advantage of your generosity AND insulted your intelligence.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. Id have to agree with 2 weeks to buy you a new one or you order the one you want and bill him

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. He owes you a downstem of equal value, plain and simple. You might have to work out some kind of plan to get the money back- make him pay the entire cable bill one month or something.

For what it's worth, most of the places I've lived, bongs are somewhat communal property, even if one person is understood to own it. Honestly, I'd be kind of frustrated having to ask to borrow a piece all the time, then being hassled for it back after an hour. He should def have told you, but you seem kind of anal, which might be one of the reasons he didn't want to tell you in the first place.

16. Man I can't agree with this. Most people don't treat things as nicely if they didn't pay for it.

I bought a bong and alot of people always wanted to use it, which I was fine with. But when you pay alot of money for something, and you see people just using it as they please, most of the time not cleaning it, it can be frustrating.

I feel like there should be rules in place, and if you want to borrow something that I paid for you should have to ask me and return it in a timely manner. Idk maybe I'm anal too.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. FINISH HIM

Sent from my XT1058 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. #20 walterbishop, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2014
    Way I see it is this. He owes you the money ASAP. No bull shitting about, "friend this, or friend that."

Even if his friend broke it, it was under his care when his friend broke it.

So he gives you money ASAP, and it is up to him to deal with collecting money back for himself from HIS friend.