Wut is better digital or hps ballast

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by soundscience4.0, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Hello guys!! I am upgrading from a 400 watt MH ballast to a 600 watt HPS ballast set up. I am looking to spend $200 or so, on the ballast, and have seen some good deals on ebay. I see that the 600 watt digital ballasts are not to much different in cost as the 600 watt hps ballasts. My question is which is actually better? Digital or HPS/MH ballasts. Lumatek, Quantum, CAP NextGEN, seem to be the popular digital brands. I have had good luck with the Sun System Harvest pro MH elite models and would proably go with that brand if I decide not to go digital. Anybody have any experience with these digital brands, or digital ballasts? What pros or cons can you give me from your experiences? THANKS FOR ALL THE LOVE PEACE!!!

2. Definantly go digital! They are switchable between hps and mh, are quieter, produce less heat, and in the case with my Lumateks, you can adjust the output to 3/4 and 1/2 for when you are using them on cl:Dones and young sprouts.

3. Well to clarify its not Digital or MH/HPS. Digital is both MH and HPS so IMO get one of those and you can do both types of light. Oldschool magnetic ballasts are out, get a new digital one it will last you for years and the light quality won't degrade over time. Not to mention the extra lumens. I too us a Lumatek, I never heard of that other brand personal. Just Galaxy and Lumatek. Peace :smoking:

4. I was able to get a switchable magnetic ballast, 1000 watt with both bulbs for about 2 bills off ebay.

I guess I don't know what I'm missing not having the toys the rich kids have.

5. Mine was $170 Canadian lol. They are the same price as a normal one. It's technology not "rich kids" wake up.

6. I have a 250W Mag a 400W Mag a 600W Digital Lumatek and a 600W Digital Galaxy. I would go with the 600W Digital Galaxy or the 600/400 NextGen imo.

7. So I'm understanding this correctly. If you had a digital ballast you could use both a MH and HPS light bulbs? Just switch the MH out after Vegging, and throw the HPS in for flowering?

8. I heard that digi ballasts don't put out as much light...Is this true?

And yes, they are switchable so there is no BS with conversion bulbs.

9. #9 Bohbo, Apr 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2010
    Magnetic and Digital can use CMH and HPS Digital is slightly more efficient, runs cooler, and is brighter. But they are also more expensive to buy and repair.

EDIT::: I have both types and prefer Digitals less hum too

10. Yessir

11. No, they say they put out more lumens then a traditional magnetic ballast.

12. Thanks for all the love grass city !!! Appreciate it peace!!!