WTF kinda bug is this ?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by HardDrive, Jul 12, 2011.

1. What is this and will it eat my weed?
    How do I treat this infestation?

I'm a little over 2 weeks of 12\12 and they are getting everywhere.

I can put a paper plate under a top, shake it and there will be 15 bugs that fall onto the plate.

Here are a few pics.

Attached Files:

2. Aint nobody seen these bugs before?

3. #3 Yoda, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2011
    do they move around??
    I see thier legs... i dont see wings so Im guessing they dont fly..
    Ive never seen those.. but i will try and find out what it is...
    Looks like thrips man.. is there any damage so far??

4. Could be thrips...can't see too well...do they look like this?

[​IMG]

5. #5 IgnorantFool, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2011
  6. Those are most likely some variety of thrip. Use a strong bug killing spray, plant safe of course. Make sure you get under the leaves. After the spray wears off introduce some ladybugs to control emerging larvae.

7. No they dont look like thrips, or that pic anyways.
    They look like snap beetles, except they are sized like , like you took a pepper shaker and put some pepper on a plate. Small like a dot from a pencil lead.

I dont think they fly, just jump, and damage, not yet, but some bottom leaves are kinda drying up, with some spots.

I got some bug killer from a hydro shop in lexington, I'm gonna spray them bastards when I get home.

8. There are over 800 genera of thrips, I just picked one of the more common ones...sounds about the right size though...

9. Yep it's a thrip. On the bottom sides of the leaves towards the bottom, they are clear just like that pic you put up there. I found a 20X--100X microscope and that is them.

They are starting to do damage to the bottom leaves now, kinda dryin em' out and turning sorta grey looking.

I got some anti-bug shit from a buddy that these clones came from and lightly misted em' down. He said do it again in about 3 or 4 days.

Anything else I can do?

Thanks for ya'll responses.

10. #10 oldskoolgrower, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2011
    Ladybugs love thrip babies.

EDIT: The spray will kill them though so wait.