WTF is wrong with my computer?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by 12on12off, Mar 28, 2011.

1. I have an old ass emachine T3624, I've had it since 04 lol and its been alive and kicking up until a couple of days ago. I opened it up, plugged it in, and it's not powering up yet there is a green LED lit up on the motherboard. Does this sound like a power supply issue? I've never had to format this computer once, it worked like a charm. I added my own RAM back in the day and installed a TV capture card. For it to randomly just bite the dust is odd. any ideas? let me know

-12on12off

2. Could be the power supply. It might not be dead, there just might be a short in a wire somewhere as well. You should open it up and see if everything is still connected correctly. Give a few more tries with say 3-4 minutes in between each new start up. If nothing, remove power supply, and test it (if you can and have available) in another computer. If nothing happens in the second computer, then you have a dead power supply or a short that cannot be fixed. If it powers up in the second computer, then it's testing the motherboard/processor/other components.

EDIT:
    Is the computer clean? As in no dust? It could have over heated and or fried something. If you have an air compressor, I'd recommend blowing it out as well, just as a long shot.

3. Look up how to "clear CMOS" on your motherboard first and see if that works

4. I fully agree with every suggestion here. I would suggest, first clearing CMOS. Then maybe spraying out your case. Well do this anyways. Many people do not realize how much dust actually kills your computer.

Then I agree with chocobo. Test power supply, then maybe motherboard/ram/cpu.

5. The problem sounds like the switch to me, you say you have a green LED on the motherboard and its lit up so that means its getting power from the power supply, but it just wont turn on, check the switch and see if that fixes your problem.

6. How many memory sticks are in it? Do as your man says and clear the CMOS, then try it with one stick off memory, if nothing try the others one at a time. Also when doing this remove TV card, graphics card and anything else that's not necessary for the computer to run. Hope this helps!