wtf is up

Discussion in 'Pets' started by kgb424, Jan 7, 2013.

1. went to adopt a Jack Russell or a Russell mix as a playmate for my 18 month non spayed Jack Russell that I love with all my heart. and will not spay. cause I have been asked to breed him because, of his looks and personality. So I called the shelter they had a female and a male Russell mix for adoption. so I drove the 40 miles in the snow, to get to the place, they bring out the female first she was pretty but a total spaz, and would not even look at me, so I asked to see the male, he came right to me and was friendly, I scratched him behind his ear just like my dog loves, the shelter dog looked up at me as to say I know you want me and your ok, I went to get my Russell, and the two hit it off instantly and were playing and being silly, then the lady from the shelter noticed my dog was not spayed and gave me shit about it and told me there was no way I was going to adopt from them, so I drove 80 miles in the snow for bullshit and no new dog. I then checked my local craigslist and the internet, and every rescue, shelter, kennel, SPCA, even some private parties, will spay before adoption, and won't let me adopt because my dog not spayed. I don't want a spayed dog, I was trying to save a dog in need by offering a home and companionship but I get FUCKED for my efforts, so FUCK EM, I 'll go to a breeder and get a non spayed female and have some puppies and adopt them out to good homes, or just keep them all, and build a kennel, got the room and the money and time, just not committed to do that yet, but I think it would be cool to have some Russell's running around.

2. Yeah that's pretty selfish of them to turn away a good home for the dog.

3. Many shelters have policy's relating to all sorts of aspects of animal care...their main concern is getting the animal a great home and not contributing to the homeless animal population. I would think that, given that you were looking to adopt from a shelter, you would understand how many unwanted pets there are and that choosing to breed can contribute to this overpopulation (and thus contribute to the number of healthy and adoptable animals put down every day).

You, of course, have the right to not spay your dog, but, the shelter also has a right to not adopt out an animal to you.

4. Wow my story will probably make this worse but when I adopted my jack russell they told me that she was spayed and she went into heat 2 months later. When we took her in to have it fixed they made me sign a form saying if she dies or anything goes wrong I can't do a thing.

5. Yeah people that work in places like that have a pretty dim view on dogs that aren't spayed, a lot of people are irresponsible with them which is why there are so many dogs without homes in the first place.

6. What???? That's kind of weird. I mean, I don't know much about spading but it can't be all that life threatening right??? Especially if its a reputable vet. Millions of dogs get neutered/spaded.

I don't even know though. I've never personally gone with my parents to neuter/spade my dogs.

7. Yes, many dogs are spayed and neutered each day, but there is always in inherent risk with going under anesthesia, for any animal (people included). It's not unusual for a vets office to cover themselves in case of law suites. I would bet the form your signed would not prevent you in suing in a case of negligence, only in a case of inherent risk aka accidents happen that are sometimes totally beyond our control.