WTF did I do to my PC?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Mantikore, Aug 18, 2011.

1. So I am not too computer savvy, but I do what I can. Well I was getting some DLL kernel message and the only thing I could do was my Windows CD. So I tried repairing it first, didn't work. So I decided to say fuck it and start all over. Well I forgot I had a slave drive in there, and it appears I set up Windows on it.. I hit Drive C during setup cause I was pretty sure that was the right one. Guess I was wrong. My "old" C drive is now my D drive and has a few things on there before the reinstallation of windows.

I don't need anything, didn't mind starting over. Is there an easy solution? Or should I just go and wipe everything and redo it?

Any tips or pointers? This time, I am going to pull my slave drive so I don't fuck anything up. I don't get too deep into the inner working of a computer, should I do partition?

2. Reinstall it. That is your best bet right now. I wouldn't worry about partitions.

3. You're just fucking up man.

This whole wiping shit out is a huge hassle cause you need to go on a scavenger hunt for drivers and firmware.

That's what happens.

I'm not sure what your issue is? You're getting kernel msg's issues?

If that's the case it's probably a easy fix

4. Yeah, wiping is a pain, but didn't take me too long to get all my updates and crap. I didn't write down the message, but when I would try to start up my computer, it would just take me to a black screen. Said something about the kernels and DLLs and that I was to call someone.. If I hit enter, it'd try starting up, but take me right back to the same screen.

So I said fuck it and started over. Only regret is not having my external to transfer all my movies over to, but I can just build them back up.

5. Yeah those are replaceable. But the computer is a little less replaceable.

6. Delete all partitions then re-partition your hard drive with a clean slate of windows. Besides it will run like new!

7. #7 Fëanor, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2011
    Huh? If you aren't upgrading to a new OS there is definitely no need for any firmware updates. And if you have an OEM PC it is relatively easy to get the drivers. Usually you can narrow the list down based on your computer's serial number which is on a sticker somewhere on the computer.

I built my own PC and find it incredibly easy to find the drivers; I have more trouble with the OEM PC's because they offer more shit than I need.

Edit for any newbies reading this thread: if you don't have multiple computers available, I recommend locating and downloading your network driver first (before reinstalling the OS) and saving it on a CD or other external media like a USB flash drive. Otherwise, if Windows doesn't have a built-in driver then you be fucked.

8. #8 curryman77, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2011
    Feanor,
    If you ever have this problem or help someone who does this is the best fix I have found for the Nic problem. Start>>Control Panel>>Add New Hardware>>Network Adapters>>Microsoft>>Loop back Interface>>Reboot>>Start>>Control Panel>>Network Connections>>Properties>>Install All Possibilities But The Net-ware>>Reboot Again And The Windows Default Drivers Will Get You Online Enough To Get The Correct Drivers. Hope That Helps You In The Future.

Sorry for the tangent of topic I got lost in my mind again yall

9. So I just noticed something, I am missing about 120 gigs of my hard drive :eek:

It's only a 186 GB hard drive. When I right click and get the properties, it says I only have 35 GB free. But when I open my C drive and get the properties of all the folders, they only add up to 33 GB used up.

186 - 35 - 33 = 118. So where did 118 GB go? There were a few folders left in my Programs folder that seemed like residual left over. Like most are empty and shit.

When I had a partition, I had a C and D drive. Now I only have a C drive, that's missing 118 GB, after a so-called fresh Windows install.

:(

10. right click my computer and click manage. go to disk management and see how the drive is partitioned. You did delete all partitions during the windows install right?

11. [​IMG]

Maybe I did mess something up with a partition?

12. Nevermind I'm a tard lol

13. curryman, thanks I'll give that a shot next time just to see if it does the trick.

Mantikore,

When installing Windows, I bet you just picked 'C' and installed there.

That won't automatically format the drive, so I bet if you look on your C:\ drive you have a Windows.OLD folder with quite a bit of stuff in it. Here is how to remove it:

How do I remove the Windows.old folder?

Just my theory.

If you don't want to find specifically what's eating up space, re-do the installation and make sure to use the Advanced Drive Options to delete the existing partition, and create a new one.

14. I'm pretty sure that that's what I did, lol. Cause I do still have folders with names and shit from last time round..

This is why I love the City.. Thanks everyone.