Wrongfully Strip Searched for Drugs at School

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Bunny Wailer, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Amanda Sandidge Says Daughter Was Wrongfully Strip-Searched For Drugs, Sues Turner School District

The mother of a girl who says she was wrongfully strip searched at school is speaking out against the district.

Amanda Sandidge is suing Kansas' Turner School District after she said school officials forced her daughter to lift her shirt and bra, exposing herself in December, when another student falsely accused the then-15-year-old teen of possessing drugs at school.

"What comes next?" Sandidge said to KCTV. "If somebody else comes in there and says that somebody else has something hidden in another private area, is that child going to be expected to expose that area? When does it stop?"

According to the suit, the incident was instigated by a vengeful student who went to school officials falsely claiming that Sandidge's daughter had marijuana or drug paraphernalia. After the search turned up nothing, school officials learned that the accusation was fabricated because Sandidge's daughter had been talking to a boy that the tipster liked, The Kansas City Star reports.

The mother says her daughter felt "forced, threatened and coerced into exposing herself" and is seeking more than $75,000 in damages. But the district has filed a motion in federal court to dismiss the suit. District and school officials contend that the student was taken to the nurse's office and asked to pull her bra forward with her shirt untucked.

"Although the student has labeled this a 'strip search,' at no point in time was the student ever asked to nor did she remove any article of clothing," Turner Superintendent Michelle Sedler said in a statement to Fox 4 KC.

Kansas state statutes define a strip search as "removing or rearranging some or all of a person's clothing, by or at the direction of a law enforcement officer." The court will decide within the next few months whether that definition applies to Sandidge's case.

The mother says that the incident has forced her daughter to drop out of school from harassment and is now taking her classes online. The teen is also refusing to leave the house.

"I hate seeing a teenage girl who should be out having fun and doing fun stuff for the summer in her room," Sandidge told KCTV. "I am the voice for my child and for every other parent out there who doesn't ever want to be in the position I am with a child that just went through this."

Her case is similar to one out of Georgia in February, when a middle school student filed a suit claiming he was traumatized and humiliated by a forced strip search in the principal's office.

The event allegedly took place in front of his classmates, who said he had marijuana, and led to emotional distress from subsequent taunting by peers who called him "Superman" for the underwear he was wearing, according to the complaint. No drugs were found.

Another incident in North Carolina sparked outrage in June when an even younger student was reportedly strip searched by an assistant principal who accused a third-grader of stealing money.

The child was reportedly ordered to strip to his boxers, though the missing money was later recovered under a cafeteria table. A lawsuit has also been filed against the school.

2. So if i shove my bud down my pants, teachers cant look there? :) ;)

3. I never would have allowed my school to strip search me. I would have been the biggest asshole imaginable.

4. yeah,

5. sounds like that girl has some other issues to deal with as well. because another student said she had some bud on her and she got searched, she was forced to drop out of school and take courses online? dafuq? sounds like a little bit of an overreaction, likely to just strengthen her 'lawsuit' against the school so the parents can get more money.

i found it saaaad when parents use their own kids to make gains financially.

6. [quote name='"Mur"']sounds like that girl has some other issues to deal with as well. because another student said she had some bud on her and she got searched, she was forced to drop out of school and take courses online? dafuq? sounds like a little bit of an overreaction, likely to just strengthen her 'lawsuit' against the school so the parents can get more money.

i found it saaaad when parents use their own kids to make gains financially.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. Also if the school is telling the truth that's really not even a big deal. People will do anything to get some money, its pathetic. If she was indeed strip searched though then its fucked up and I can't blame them for suing.

7. They simply have to call officers to the school to do the strip search, and not school employees.

Me and a buddy were asked to drop our boxers and lift our balls by an officer once in H.S. when we got suspended for possession. Slightly different situation but an officer can strip search you as long as its under the law's guidelines.

We were so stoned we couldn't stop laughing when he said that. Wasn't so funny when we got put into the back of his car though.

8. That's pretty fucked up. I'm not surprised that it happened in Kansas.

9. First off she should have said no. Yet, imagine the repercussions of her doing so. She would probably be arrested and expelled! Yes, she is probably overexxagerating because honestly it isn't that big of a deal it wasn't in the middle of class or something. The parents are looking for money and its very obvious but.. It was a violation of her rights, schools don't do this to protect other students they do it for their own twisted reasons to fuck people over and get money themselves.

10. [quote name='"twitchydude420"']I never would have allowed my school to strip search me. I would have been the biggest asshole imaginable.[/quote]

Hahahaha werd i woulda been like fuck you i dont have shit

11. Who lets a school official strip search them? I think the officials should get repercussions from this but kids need to know their schools don't have that kind of power over them. If my HS principal had told me to take off my clothes I'd call him a pedo and beat his ass.

12. Nobody should be allowed to strip search anybody under age.

13. My thing is that they could've just detained the girl and called her mom in.

Then taken whatever action was necessary.

14. Sorry man but I have to say bullshit, not that I don't believe that you had to go through that, but you can not be forcibly searched at school beyond your backpack or locker. Trust me I went through this. A cop can't strip search you on the side of the road if he suspects you of possessing something illegal, they can not make you do anything of the sort on school premises. I had some bud and a piece in my car when I was in high school, I must have smelled like dank and a teacher noticed or something, because I was called into the office. They wanted to search my back pack, I consented knowing I was all good and they found nothing. Then they wanted to search my person, I agreed and turned out my pockets. The officer then wanted me to take off my pants and make sure I was not hiding something, I asked him if he thought i was cute and told him to politely fuck himself. He got angry and threatened me with all sorts of stuff so I told him I was done with his horse shit and collected my things and started to walk away. He followed my through the office telling me I was in big trouble and I couldn't leave. Again I told him to go fuck himself, I walked out to my car, porky the pig hot on my tail. He told me I couldn't leave and that he wasn't through with me, I told him to fuck himself for a third time, climbed in my car and drove home.

Kids are young and niave and are coerced into doing what they are told without question. The fact of the matter is they will take it as far as you let them, but they can't get away with everything. Your rights don't get thrown out the window because your at school, but if you consent to something there is no taking it back

15. #16 MR_, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2012
    Well we were getting arrested no matter what, so it was either in the school or at the station, either way we were getting searched.

There was no way we could have refused either, I was in cuffs when he was searching my buddy, and then vice versa. I don't think we really could have walked out of that room and said fuck you with cuffs on us.

They used to have female officers only at the H.S., so they called in a male officer to do the searching, but like I said, if it wasn't in that building, it would be at the station, same thing.

Smelling like it is a different situation, they can't fully search you for that. Our school had metal detectors, and they would do a backpack check and check pockets for 1 out of every 3 people when walking into the building. Slightly different situation than what you described.

We actually ditched the bud we had hidden in the assistant principals office (behind his desk) in cuffs when he went to get the male officer, but still got busted either way (10 day suspension/expulsion hearing/etc) for what they found

16. In reality, though, if you are 15 years old in the nurse's office and they're telling you all this bullshit, most likely, about how you are going to be arrested, you aren't going to know what the fuck to do. It is still illegal for the nurse to tell her to open up her shirt and bra, there is no reason for that. This 15 year old is not going to know anything about the laws regarding a strip search, they probably said she had to or she definitley would be arrested. Granted, I wouldn't take it to the court system with the finincial tag for "humiliation" attached, but I would be demanding a hearing from the school board and would want these people fired. If anything I would take the other girl to court for slander/ harrasment/ libelous statements, because she definitley deserves some serious reprecussions.

17. Abso-fucking-lutely

18. Why don't we just take the accuser and have her strip searched in front of the whole school?

That seems like a fair and just punishment.

19. The problem is that the girl that said there was drugs on the body of the second girl viaolated the law. However, she will not get punished most likely while thousands of dollars of public funds will be spent defending the schools action to enforce the rules.