Writing

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Highbinder, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Talking about the physical act of writing.

Why is it pencils are so much more soothing, more.. meditiative and a more calming method to using a pen? Is it the sound, rhythmic, echoing the ebb and flow of your thoughts? The feeling of different gradients and resistances as the pencil tip reacts with the surface? The idea of what it is, being essentially extracted straight from nature and perhaps lends to our spiritual ties with our distance ancestors and their spiritual proximity with symbols?

A pen feels so static. I dread using pens. The only real exception for me are fountain pens, the depth/shading/subtleties of the ink and the tenderness of the point you write with make it an interesting tool. Pencils are anything but static. Sharpening them (especially with a penknife) I find to be time well spent, like smoking, or fishing, or driving.

I wanted to say something else, but I forgot..

But whos with me?!

/e: Oh yeah I remember now. When you're left with a little nubbit of a pencil, the satisfaction knowing there has been time well spent, theres a real sense of calm derived from using a little end of a pencil, because ultimately you've gotten to know that pencil so well, its been the essential tie between your thoughts free and your thoughts captured.

/e2: Thread needs a smilie. LOL. :smoke:

2. Nope, the pen is a million times better then a pencil.
    Except for erasable pens they are just a cheap imitation in my opinion.

3. damn highbinder, that was the most poetic, romantic, passionate piece of work about pencils i have ever read, lol.
    but ever since elementary school i like pencils...and then we had no choice but to use pens in middle school and highschool...assholes.

4. Stoned ramblings, man :eek:

5. i totally get you, but this is only for specific pens i have (for that reason) when i write with these pens i have the utter urge to keep going because of how smooth it goes, i love writing cursive and i think the idea of an broken line forming a word, when correct is so art.

aswell as the idea that the writing and constant flow allows for a definite therapeutic connection in writing.

6. I'm a mechanical pencil person. It makes my handwirting so much nicer. Plus I love shading intricate details with a 0.3mm lead when I draw.

7. I feel ya on this

I use pens for notes tho, its clearer...but when drafting something..and pencil is a must have..

pencil for math, a MUST MUST have

i needs to find my sharpener..btw good erasers ftw! i hate those cheap mofos that smear your paper:mad:

8. Definately. I love the fact that pencil markings aren't permanent.

9. +1 for mechanical pencils. I've used the same line of mechanical pencil for ... 7 years.. :\ a little OCD, not gonna lie haha

But the best writing utensil....THE COMPUTER! So much quicker to put your thoughts down on paper, and so much easier to change them around to get the sentence to say exactly what you want to say. It's easier to work on a computer than with a pencil, it's more efficient. Plus the continuous pounding of the keys when I'm on a roll makes me feel good. :)

10. i prefer pencils. but man, pencils give my hands terrible cramps.

11. Hahaha a pen vs. pencil debate, only on a stoner forum will you find this!:)

I like them both, I had a creative writing course this year, I aced it because I wrote my papers when I was high. I was so much more creative and insightful.