Writing warm up methods

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by BuffetCrayfish3, Nov 23, 2013.

1. When I was in high school I was able to write all the time. In class when I was feeling creative I would write, and usually did all day.

Now I'm in college and my time for writing has been very limited and I find myself having a hard time coming up with sentences. Lately before I've been sitting down to write I've grabbed something at random and started describing it one sense at a time and after I've completely profiled the object to the best of my ability I start writing. It helps tremendously and was wondering if anyone else had an warm up strategies for when they're feeling blocked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. I don't have any strategies per se because I don't believe in being "blocked," I think its all in one's head.  I don't place any expectations on myself, I just keep writing.  It doesn't matter if what I'm writing is pertinent to my desired goal the point is to keep writing and thinking.  Some folks will sit for hours trying to complete a sentence when in actuality they could have still bee  writing something if  they wanted to, anything.  Just write....

3. I just don't ever have time anymore to think about the concept of what I'm going to write about next. I'm trying to focus more on flow. Exercises just help me get in the mindset of finding words.

4. if i ever write its usually stream of consciousness..or whatever its called.

5. #5 smokerings, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2013
    I'm not sure if anyone is capable of willing themselves to inspiration at any one particular point in time of their choosing when they might wish to sit down with the intention of writing something great...just because they want to write something great. 

6. Sorry, I guess I've never heard of it. You'll have to describe it.

7. I usually pick any word to start. From that word i usually write words that rhyme, synonyms, and words stemming from the original word u started with

sent from too high to know

8. In grd.11 Writers Craft we learned the amazing benefits of relaxation and peace through "free flow" writing. It is sort of like meditation on paper. Once the pen makes contact with the paper your writing should not stop for about 30 min or less. This technique, however, is not just a mere exercise, it enables you to express yourself fully and freely.