Writing Prompts?

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by C3POllie, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Hi!

So I apologize for posting this to so many forums. Different people go to different forums; I just had trouble deciding where would be best and I also would love to hear everyone's ideas!

I've been having trouble coming up with new ideas for either short stories or a novel, and I was checking out r/WritingPrompts for some ideas and thought why not ask here as well?
    I'm very much into sci-fi and horror, I love mystery as well.

So does anyone have any good ideas?

I thank those in advance who take this seriously, and provide legitimate ideas.

C3POllie

2. self insert.
    can't go wrong.

3. Pardon?

C3POllie

4. If you're into sci-fi maybe some conspiracy theory kind of alien thing might be cool…

Fighting for access to all.

5. Thanks! That's a great idea

C3POllie

6. Thanks. That's kind. I also heard some weird stuff last night about experimental novels… It was the first time it ever heard of them. I guess the chapters are more episode like. It was interesting anyway :)

Fighting for access to all.

7. Man how can you be a serious writer and not have something to write about. Passion is very important when it comes to writing a book, because writing a book leads to a very in depth, time consuming process, known as simply rewriting the book. Yes, after you write your book, you will need to rewrite it to flush out the necessary details, make the reader follow in a more compelled way and overall, just make the story better. You will spend probably three times the amount of time rewriting than you will actually writing.

Before any of this happens, you have your research to conduct and conducting that research is basically going to set the tone for your book to happen. If you do shitty, lazy research, that is exactly how your book will come out, shitty and lazily done. When you have information you need at your disposal and your actually using it to write your book, there is almost always a point when you realize "Oh, i need even more research in this area, so that i can articulate the thing i want to" and this will happen many times over. Once you have all your research that you want, you need to verify its source.. Yes, verifying your sources is time consuming as fuck, but you'd still be saving yourself time if you did your story with research that was not true and ended up having to do a rewrite.

Today, for example, i was writing about my fantasy world, while still trying to draw from early modern times, which i ultimately decided would be the 1600's. So, for the first time ever, i have to go and learn about Great Britain's history while i am in the process of writing. Never in my fucking life did i ever think i would be writing about somebody done to death like that era, but here we are, i find myself in the throws of hours of research of the events leading up to the American Civil War (I am Canadian), about how matchlock slowly transitioned into flintlock and the impact that had, about how ultimately the king of England was kind of exiled and lost trying to take back his own land. Never knew that, or how Scotland and Great Britain shared the same king for quite a few years. Earlier today, i could not of given a fuck about any of the subject matter, but my mind changed fast.

8. Not once did I ever say I didn't know any of that.
    When did I ask about how much of a time consuming process writing is? When did I say I don't research before writing? When did I ask for any of what you said?

I researched for five hours minimum in grade 8 for a simple, informal, short story that the class was not even expected to take seriously. While most kids wrote barely 200 words, I wrote 20 pages... and you bet your ass I received the highest mark for my hard work.

I appreciate your comment but it's not what I was asking for, nor did I need the "lesson" on what it means to be a writer.

Writers block is a legitimate thing, and writing prompts are a commonly used tool by lots of people world wide.

There is an entire subreddit devoted to them and hundreds, if not thousands, of people use it.

Experiencing writers block has nothing to do with being a serious writer OR having passion.
    There's also no handbook or rules to what it means to be a writer so you do your thing and I'll do mine, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to shove your ways down my throat or anybody else's for that matter.
    It's counterproductive.

Also, I apologize if this comment is "messy" it's 3 AM and I was about to fall asleep but decided to check on GC before bed when I saw your entitled comment.

C3POllie

9. Here's one for you guys: "Why?" or "Why me?"

10. my go to word is motherf*cking

it $cratches dem

11. I disagree.

12. Might be time to find a new hobby.

13. Your attitude is disgusting.
    I'm done humoring you.

C3POllie

14. For the record, to anyone new reading the original post or the comments, somebody from /r/WritingPrompts has actually become a published author. That's at least one person that I know of, and I would not be surprised if there are more.
    The book is actually fantastic.

But I guess they're not a real writer, huh? Based on the sound logic that anyone using a writing prompt, or experiencing writers block cannot actually be a professional writer. Even if they become a published author, they shouldn't be taken seriously.

^Bullshit on that.

C3POllie

15. Being a published author is not really anything special in 2016, i have published material myself, did not even cost that much.

16. I don’t know if this post is relevant or not, but if there’s a desire, you can directly search for writing services on the Internet. Good luck to you

17. This thread is a couple years old lol