Writing in a Journal help with depression?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by HeadySpaghetti, Jan 17, 2010.

1. The past few days I've had a very cloudy feeling in my head and only been feeling down all day. I've been trying to stay positive and do stuff so I can try to keep my mind off of bad things. I have NO idea why I feel this way, Im not even depressed about anything in particular, which is the weird part. Has anyone ever felt this way before. why? Is it because im taking Lexapro for over 3months and it is doing more harm than good?

Anyways, I decided to start writing in a journal about me and writing things that will keep me staying positive and about how my day went, and what I have to look forward too, has anyone else done this before and how much did it help?
    Anyone have tips of what I should write about?

2. i keep a journal. A lot of it is for stress, anxiety and depression, not to mention my mania. Its also another creative outlet for me. a place to write ideas, lyrics, poems, rants, philosophies, or just... how my day went. I basically write whatever is on my mind. If i'm pissed about something, thats what i write about. I generally try and skim back what i wrote week by week to see what my mindset has been like. For instance, i finished the last page in my journal a few weeks ago, and was looking forward to the fresh pages of a new one. So, after looking at the first few weeks, where, after the new journal, new year, and new decade, i decided to be more positive, etc, i noticed i was writing about how my life sucks, etc. all negative aspects, so it allowed me to see where my minds been and that i gotta change it to help myself.

It just started with one page and a lot ink, also known as stress in this situation. from there, i kept up a journal nearly every day for about 3 years and its one of the greatest things i've ever done. not just for helping with depression/anxiety, but hell man i have my whole life documented now ($ its just great to have around as a writer and musician)

oh, and about the lexapro - i've been on prozac, and celexa (SSRI's like lexapro), and both of them did more harm then good and i ended up weening myself off them. I just got off celexa a couple weeks ago and my mind feels so much better - it never even helped with my anxiety, which was the only reason for it - it ended up just giving me depression, which i didn't have before taking it

3. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who got more depressed after taking it, but thank you for the input. How much MG Ddid u have? Im only 40mg, but two days ago I started taking 35mg, im going to the doctor tommorow to see how to properly get off of it, but I think in the meanwhile I should try to lower it, how much longer would you think I should wait until I go to 30mg?

4. well, i don't know the conversions with them, so the mg's for celexa aren't exactly the same as the mg's for lexapro - but in either case, i i was on 30mg of celexa (and i think 40mg of prozac when i was on that a while back), and when i tapered off, i would decrease dose by 10mg for 10 days. I think you're supposed to do it in 2 week periods because of the half/life and plasma levels or something (i dno, im not a doctor lol), but i had no problem doing 10 days. When i was off it for the first week i was really panicky, anxious etc and it was really shitty, but then i felt great. I know a lot of people who felt fine the whole time getting off it though. This is just my experience, so make sure you talk to your doc about how to properly get off your meds