Writing a letter to a politician

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by blublapped92, Apr 23, 2011.

1. So the other morning I woke up and read the NORML news, as usual, when I came across an article that said my governor Christine Gregoire, upon receiving opposition from the feds regarding the recent bill to legalize mmj dispensaries, decided to veto the bill but promised to make changes. I was INFURIATED. Soo, I've taken it upon myself to write a a personal letter to her voicing my opinion (which I think more people should), and here's what I've got so far, let me know if you see anything that needs to be changed, but be quick about it, because I want to mail it out tomorrow so I don't have to wait all the way until Monday. This is completely open to grammatical corrections too btw.

Dear Governor Christine Gregoire, in light of your announcement following the federal government's response to Washington's recent bill aimed to legalize medical marijuana dispensaries, I, an 18 year old high school senior, have decided to write you this letter. I want this bill to pass unmodified by the criticism of the federal government, and I'll tell you why.
    This is a classic example of people fearing the government. I'm sure you've come across the famous Abraham Lincoln quote, "when people fear the government, tyranny shall surely rule". The federal government has basically said, if you do not comply with our law, we will stop providing funding. Now, if this isn't bribery, I don't know what is. The constitution doesn't grant money a vote, and as much as some would like to believe it doesn't exist, it's a very real document. I've even read it. Imagine that!
    Also, I would like to point out that the federal government is threatening to cut off funding that it, by simple arithmetic, cannot afford anyways. I'm not sure if you've noticed.. but the federal government is facing a multi-trillion dollar deficit that I won't even try to put a number on because it will grow considerably larger in the next five minutes. Why do we lend our liberty to those with bad credit?
    Everything else aside, this recent power play by the federal government has been one of many attempts to keep cannabis, the safest drug yet, outright illegal. If Washington State doesn't take the next step in this movement, we don't know how long it will take another state to do so. Washington is not a state of followers. We need to set an example for the rest of the states, and frankly the rest of the world to follow.
    So please, when revising this bill, consider your liberties.

Sincerely,
    XXX