Wrestling Tournament

Discussion in 'General' started by nosrac95, Jan 14, 2012.

1. A month ago my girlfriend dumped me, since then I joined my schools wrestling team. I'm a senior btw.
    Anyways, today is my first tournament. There's 10 schools there, and I'm pretty fucking nervous.
    Does anyone have some advice for me?

2. Well if you joined less then a month ago don't expect first, unless you think you can out muscle everybody... What weight class are you and are you doing folkstyle freestyle or grecko?

3. [quote name='"BobTheBeast"']Well if you joined less then a month ago don't expect first, unless you think you can out muscle everybody... What weight class are you and are you doing folkstyle freestyle or grecko?[/quote]

I don't expect to be first, but not last either. I'm 135 and folk style wrestling I guess. I don't really know the difference between those three

4. Well if it's for school it's most likely folkstyle because you're least likely to get hurt doing that. And around here that's a rather easy weight class since that's above the super fast people and under the super strong people. If you have strong arms tie up, if not take shots. Measure your opponent up when you are going up there, and start making a plan, and as soon as the whistle blows put that plan to work.

5. What he said ^

6. [quote name='"BobTheBeast"']Well if it's for school it's most likely folkstyle because you're least likely to get hurt doing that. And around here that's a rather easy weight class since that's above the super fast people and under the super strong people. If you have strong arms tie up, if not take shots. Measure your opponent up when you are going up there, and start making a plan, and as soon as the whistle blows put that plan to work.[/quote]

My arms are fairly strong but at practice I get my ass kicked if I tie up so I just move a lot until I can get a shot. My single leg shot is pretty good so I think I'll try that a lot today. I'm just so nervous lol
    Did you ever get nervous?

7. I'm sure everyone gets nervous before their first homosexual encounter :p

8. youll be nervous up till your first match

9. Don't they have like a protocol of some sort for kids getting boners? Cause shit could get real weird real fast in a situation like that. Lol

10. Well by the time I went to my first tournament I'd already been to 7-8 meets

11. I was a wrestler all through junior/highschool and can tell you that EVERYONE is nervous before the tournaments. First match will cure that.

One of my first matches was against a kid that was litterally crying on the mat as we got ready to wrestle. I won that one!

Push those butterflies aside and remember your training.

My friend was state champ @ 135 and was a beast. Good luck.

12. #12 ismokegreen, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2012
    Not sure what your girlfriend has to do with this, but basically don't eat a shitload after weigh-ins, that can really mess up your preformance. Also make sure you just eat stuff that gives you energy and isn't unhealthy, like honey, bananas, water, gatorade stuff like that. I can't tell you how much you'll regret it if you eat a fucking dougnut or some shit before a match. Stay really hydrated, especially if you've been cutting weight.

Also remember, it's ok to lose but try your best not to get pinned. Getting pinned is much worse than losing by points. Now that said, you will get pinned at least once in your life if not many times so it's alright, don't get depressed but just try your best to avoid it at all costs.

Remember to keep a good stance and stick to a few basic moves. Don't try any fancy shit that you just learned, just stick with your best set up, best take down, best escape etc... Your core set of moves are what will be the most useful.

Remember Never to reach back! haha

You'll be fine.

Oh, and remember to warm up a good minute before your match. Nothing shittier than going into a match completely cold.

13. [quote name='"ismokegreen"']

Not sure what your girlfriend has to do with this, but what weight are you wrestling? This makes a difference in how you should approach your matches.[/quote]

Her dumping me was the reason I joined haha. I was totally wrong with 135, I'm actually 126

14. Gotcha, well I changed my post, so read what I wrote above.

15. [quote name='"ismokegreen"']

Not sure what your girlfriend has to do with this, but basically don't eat a shitload after weigh-ins, that can really mess up your preformance. Also make sure you just eat stuff that gives you energy and isn't unhealthy, like honey, bananas, water, gatorade stuff like that. I can't tell you how much you'll regret it if you eat a fucking dougnut or some shit before a match. Stay really hydrated, especially if you've been cutting weight.

Also remember, it's ok to lose but try your best not to get pinned. Getting pinned is much worse than losing by points. Now that said, you will get pinned at least once in your life if not many times so it's alright, don't get depressed but just try your best to avoid it at all costs.

Remember to keep a good stance and stick to a few basic moves. Don't try any fancy shit that you just learned, just stick with your best set up, best take down, best escape etc... Your core set of moves are what will be the most useful.

Remember Never to reach back! haha

You'll be fine.

Oh, and remember to warm up a good minute before your match. Nothing shittier than going into a match completely cold.[/quote]

I just weighed in and my first match is in an hour. I ate a banana and had some Gatorade, probably gonna eat a small protein bar in a few minutes.
    I had one match last Saturday and the kid pinned me in the second period, I have to wrestle him again soon. I'm most definitely not letting him pin me again.
    Seeing as I have 4 weeks experience I don't know any crazy stuff yet, just working on the basics.
    Thanks so much for the advice man, I'm stoked to beat this kid.

16. Well I'm sure you're doing well for someone 4 weeks into wrestling. It took me a year or two before I was actually winning anything haha

Good luck on your next match.