WoW - What the fuck?! Help.

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by 154756, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Okay here is the story.

I recently bought WoW at Wal Mart the other day. I seen the cataclysm box, and above it was just plain old world of warcraft. I decided to just go with the original version because it was cheaper, and to be honest not knowing anything about world of warcraft I figured it would be better starting there, and then moving on to the newer 'version'. Anyhow, I bought it, went home, and put disc 1 in. It started to install fine.. and then after the 'Blizzard Downloader' got done, a cataclysm screen popped up and began downloading a huge ass fucking file. 7.3 GB or some shit (and for the record I tried to download the trial version of it and seen that trying to download it wasn't a fucking option). First of all, my internet just isn't fast enough to download that. It would have taken like 4 days to download it (even though I pay 40 bucks every month for so called high speed satellite internet). Secondly, If I fucking wanted to pay the extra 10 bucks for cataclysm I would have fucking bought it if I would have known I'd be installing it anyways. I now have two questions. 1) Why in the fuck is it making me download cataclysm if I bought just WORLD OF FUCKING WARCRAFT. And 2) Is this optional or if I want to play do I have to take the 4 mother fucking days to download it.

seriously, why even sell the 'original' WoW if you're going to force cataclysm down the consumers throats anyways. Jesus christ. I'm really fucking pissed, so can someone please just offer some help or explanation of some sort. thanks.

2. #2 Food Negotiator, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2010
    I dont play WoW but i from what i understand the cataclysm expansion has effected the entire map of world of war craft. In order for you to play with other people you need to have the same content however you will not be actually be able to play any of the new content because you didnt buy the content. Your game should run fine and you should still be able to do everything that came with the original game just not the new stuff. Hopefully this makes sense. Let me know if your still confused or perhaps other blades that play the game can help.

3. Makes since, but then WHY are they even bothering to sell the other discs? I just don't understand the thought process there, unless of course it's purely money driven.

4. I am sorry dude, but I think you got ripped off. After Catacylsm released, Blizzard released a statement saying they would lower the prices of the rest of the expansions, including the original game. Burning Crusade and Wrath are supposed to be priced around ten dollars, with Catacylsm at fourty.

5. Hahaha much of blizzards awesomeness is money driven but i think the other discs contain the actual playable content such as the new classes and quests. Without them your just in the same world (new cataclysm world) without any of the new payable stuff.

6. Thanks for the replies.. I guess i'll just sell the game I bought and go buy cat. I got fucking duped.. hard.

7. Even after you install from the Game CD, theres still tons of Patches your going to have to download regardless. My Entire Word of Warcraft Folder all combined is 18.7gigs and Im on a Private Server. lol Its just patch after Patch After Patch, fixing all the reported glitches. just leave your computer on overnight for the next few nights, WoW is Always a Bitch to Install from beginning to end.

8. You bought the boxed version of the original game, which that retail box is probably at least a couple of years old now. Needless to say, the designers of the game weren't exactly considering (or worrying) about years-old versions of the base game when designing or even releasing new versions or content.

And yeah, 4 days may seem like a lot of time to wait to download, but the "average" broadband speed to the home these days can probably pull 7+GB worth of data within a day, which is probably considered "reasonable". Why should Blizzard incur the expense of pressing another DVD or two and distributing it as an "add-on patch pack" when almost every single WoW consumer/user has broadband fast enough to download it? They're simply "splitting" the costs of distribution with the end-user, and we're seeing that exact same model being pushed everywhere. Another example is people downloading/streaming movies off a service from your cable provider instead of going to your local Blockbuster rental store and renting the physical disc.

9. When you bought the game all you really paid for is an account.

The game client can be downloaded for free, but an account costs money. The games require special activation codes to enable the content on the account you're playing on.

10. To answer one of your questions, part of the reason that you have to download Cataclysm-related data is because there are going to be millions of people online playing with Cataclysm and if you don't have the necessary patches installed to be able to see the new equipment, pets, mounts, etc. that they possess... what, will they appear naked?

:p

11. #11 SirenWasHere, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2010
    Why not just take it back with the receipt and get your money back? Also, lesson learned, don't buy things on a whim. Do research before dropping money.

12. It seems like overkill but trust me it will be worth it.

13. You probably shouldn't be playing if you can't download the patches...

14. its normal. the origional version is effected by cataclysm. things are difforant even in the origional version. but if your playing the origional version, you still have the new azeroth, but you wont have lich king or burning crusade content. also, besides the new look in the main world, most stuff from the expansion is probably locked. but you should be able to still play up to level 60 in the new azeroth/main game world.