Wow, this dude I know shot 4 cops.

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Boosh, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Police officers hide behind a badge. That's there only source of power, and they even abuse that.

2. ^ cops have guns too, they hold a bit more power than a piece of metal, with the whole being able to kill and all.

3. That's like condemning all Christians because of what happened during the Crusades.

People have the ability to abuse any power you give them, that doesn't mean they all do. It's a matter of possibility and choice. There's always a possibility that an officer of the law is going to abuse his power, but he can always make the choice not to and do what he needs to. That's true power, in my honest opinion.

4. Um yes... it's called law enforcement. They use the powers given to them by the law, so that they can enforce laws, prevent crimes and instill order in our society.

You make it sound like a bad thing. Is anarchy more appealing to you?

Some do, sure. But Law Enforcement Agencies strive to act ethically, fairly and justly. It's why we have a complicated legal system, allowing for detailed and reason and science based judgments to be made.

It's also why we have agencies such as Internal Affairs to correct and prevent wrong doing where it exists in Law Enforcement.

You have any better idea on how to enforce law in a society? Maybe we should just go on the honor system :rolleyes:

5. 98% of the cops I have encountered were straight up jerks and assholes..

95% of the cops that people I know have encountered were straight up jerks and assholes..

Many people think that cops are all sweet, law-abiding, "protecting the community (LOL)" powerhouses, but these crooked sons-of-bitches are something else... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. When cops are caught acting out of line, they get a slap on the wrist.. even if the crimes they have perpetrated are heinous.

Police agencies don't take charge of the brutality until it's made public, then they do all they can to save and hide their asses from bad publicity.

7. "Triple homicide? I didn't do it, I swear it! Fuck all that forensic evidence, you can't pin this on me!"

"Aww, I can't stay mad at you. Get this man his effects, he's free to leave."

8. is anyone aloud to have an opinion without everyone jumping on there ass? seriously.

If someone thinks cops are dicks, cool, if not who cares.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

9. Well you obviously yes, because within the cannabis community, civil laws are not respected and you obviously have a strong bias. Of course they're going to be jerks to you.

Besides, it's anecdotal and is totally irrelevant; most of the cops I've met in my life are nice, understanding people, with a polite demeanor.

Besides, I don't see what a cop being a jerk to YOU has anything to do with how they go about and treat other areas of law enforcement.

So they went from being jerks to crooked cops?

Your argument is truly weak.

Give me some evidence of this, and I'm more likely to believe you.

Proof? Or just an unfounded accusation?

P.S. you have yet to tell me how you suggest we enforce laws in society.

10. I never insinuated that there isn't a population of crooked officers walking the streets, I never said that. The only point I'm trying to make is that you can't judge an entire organization because of what a minute (Yes, minute, I said it) percentage of their officers have done.

Deal with the individual, don't condemn the tribe.

11. Rasta, have you ever heard of the Nuremberg Trials? After WW2 and the holocaust, they were trying to punish the Nazis for their war crimes. One guy did an experiment and concluded that people CAN be 'manipulated' in a sense that they do what their superiors tell them to.

It was an interesting study. what they did was do a double blind experiment (it actually wasn't), where they had an actor strapped in a chair behind a glass, and they took people and told them to push a button to shock them. the actors would scream out in pain, but the subjects almost always pushed the button and shocked them if instructed.

EDIT: Rasta, I can attest to cops getting slaps in the wrist for dumb crimes. I don't bookmark these types of news articles and I don't think I could find one without searching for the terms 'Cop gets slap on the wrist for'. That search would bring up a biased article anyways. I know you can't cite an absence of information, but believe me when I say I've heard countless stories of such.

EDIT EDIT: Ah ! found one! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18587902/

EDITx3: Also... I have to add that the Law Enforcement Community is as tight knit a community as we cannabis users are. Its like the military. Theres a sense of kinship among all of them, just as there is among us. They do take care of their own.

I have another example for Rasta too!

A drunken police officer, about 4 months ago, crashed his vehicle into one of my uncle's apartment houses. A bunch of cops showed up and were trying to cover it up by hiding his uniform in the back seat (they said he was coast guard but it had a XXXncy Police badge on it).The chief showed up, and basically asked what my uncle wanted in order to keep it quiet. My uncle was ripshit the whole time, getting badge numbers, threatening to call the newspaper, etc etc.

He got the chief's phone number as a get out of jail free card. My uncle told me he said something like this:

Chief: Take this number...(writes down) If you ever get into any trouble, call me. We can't cover up murder, you understand.
    Uncle: No, but your pretty good at covering up drunk driving.

12. That's what I say.. I have my own outlook on our whole police & justice system, and people have theirs.
    I have a strong bias, yes, because it's from my own expierences.. I never had anything against 'em until I seen the shit these motherfuckas pull.. And to keep your eyes closed and turn a head, is a cowardly act.

Was I referring to ONLY ME? No, I'm including from what I have seen happen with other people too.

13. Your point? I have yet to hear it.

Yes, interesting indeed - what is your point?

Do you not understand what the is? It is an anecdotal evidence.

Anecdotal evidence is revealing of one particular case and nothing more -- variables involved can be isolated to the incident and in no measure of certainty succeed in proving mechanism pertaining to other events.

NULL!

14. Same thing applies. Your likely to befriend people with a similar outlook.

I've had bad experiences with cops too. I'm smart enough to realize that it's only reflective of the individual, because I've met some really great cops, who I'd love to hang out and have a couple beers with. I realize that I cannot judge a police officer, until I've talked to and interacted with them as an individual.

Your mentality is the same as saying that you hate all jewish people, because the jews you've dealt with are jerks. Get it? /analogy

15. Sorry, I have the habit of not tying things together when I write stoned. :smoke:

It is anecdotal evidence, not 'is an anecdotal'. The use of indefinite articles 'a or an' is decided upon whether it comes before a vowel or not (or if its an acronym or something).

But at any rate, I don't understand why it is anecdotal evidence, or even why it would matter. I'm not proving a scientific principle, I'm just saying that there have been instances where police officers have committed crimes and get away with hardly a slap on the wrist- as is in case of the article I linked.

My point with the Nuremberg Trials is synonymous with your point in who is to fault in the war on drugs. The lawmakers. Soldiers follow orders. Thats how any hierarchy works.

16. when I first heard 4 officers shot in Miami, I right away thought opa locka triangle:rolleyes:

17. Because that's how critical thinking works. because the evidence is anecdotal, it does not prove anything, beyond that particular instance.

If you want me to buy into 'police are always bad people' mentality, then your going to have to give me far better evidence than mere anecdotes.

Yes very good. I don't see what you're trying to illustrate. Cops do their job, weather or not they agree with the laws. This is epitomized by LEAP, people who say the asininity of the laws and now work to have them repealed.

If they were not to enforce those laws, then it is a dereliction of duty, and by definition that would be a crooked cop.

18. But there are alot of cops that are... more then you probably think. I've ran into 3, what i would call, corrupt cops.

Heres just an example of one of those corrup cops.
    Example:
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3f9mj37SeMY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3f9mj37SeMY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

19. <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pNQnqwxy9Vc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pNQnqwxy9Vc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

20. Isn't the actual point that you shouldn't shoot anybody, regardless of their job?

Personally, I've only had one encounter with a psychopathic policeman, he threatened to blow my head off with a shotgun, for sitting in my car, listening to the radio at midnight. But he was just doing his duty to protect the neighborhood, right?

As Bukowski once said, " I don't hate cops, I just feel better when they're not around"