Would your significant other have to smoke?

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by Koops, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Is smoking a requirement for your significant other?
    Or do they have to respect your smoking?

I'm thinking about trying to rekindle an old flame with an ex, as we broke up under more miscommunication than anything else.
    She's an absolute sweetheart, very passionate about her religion, incredibly attractive, and very moral. She's the type of girl that one would settle down with, instead of fool around with.
    I'm attracted to the idea of settling down, but I'm also a very spontaneous person. I love to travel, and I love diversity. Two things that make commitment very difficult, however I'd like to try I think.
    On the other hand, it's nice to be single, and chill out.
    One problem though, is weed.
    She doesn't smoke, probably never will, and is against recreational smoking.
    I'm pretty sure she respects me and my love of cannabis though, but I'm not sure to what degree. I need to eventually sit down and talk to her about smoking and our relationship, which I'm sure will come around eventually.
    She knows I smoke, and am very passionate about marijuana culture, science and activism, we've talked a bit about how I'd rather have a designated room in my house for smoking, and that I think the idea should be brought up to my children when they are at an age where they can decide for themselves what they think. She thinks it's very reasonable, and considers it respectable, but I'm still not sure how it would work out.

What do you guys think about all of this?

Should I see if things work out with her, or find someone who's more open to ganja?
    As it's a pretty epic part of my life, it's hard to imagine not smoking with my wife, even if only on occasion.

2. If they don't get high, there's something wrong with them.

3. my girl doesnt smoke but that's not been an issue.:smoking:

4. My significant other does smoke, but it's not a requirement.

I don't necessarily need someone that smokes, but I definitely need someone who is completely fine with me smoking.

I think you should do as you said, sit down and talk with her. If she can be respectful and cool with your choice to smoke, then sure, go for it. If she can't, then you guys are probably going to have a lot of problems. :p

5. this.

6. #6 Kevin08, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2010
    I would like my sig other to smoke or at least be tolerant of my habits, but not a requirement for sure. I have found in the past that its better to be with someone who allows you to live the way you want instead of changing your ways for them.

P.S. Koops, that sig tripped me out for awhile, I couldn't figure out why i couldn't kill the bug on my screen...

7. My girlfriend smokes all the time, often with me. :)

I can't think of a better way to hang out with your significant other.

At some point, see if she wants to smoke with you, and don't give up...

8. i would like to say my soulmate will smoke. i mean, i want someone on my level that understands me and all that.

9. They don't have to but it would be awesome.

10. I'm going to say yes - I would not date a girl who doesn't smoke pot.

I have dated a couple of girls in the distant past that did not smoke and even though they said they were OK with it, they weren't. And the first time I said "I don't feel like hanging out Friday, I'm gonna go smoke pot with friends" it became a source of tension.

Plus, even if they are OK with it now, that doesn't mean they won't change their mind in the future. I think a lot of people that don't smoke think of smoking pot as a phase, and at some point you'll outgrow it. When you don't, they will resent it, so there is no future there.

If you aren't looking for a future together, then it might be OK for a while, but it won't last.

And smoking pot together is so much fun, why would you waste your time with a straight?

My GF asked me after we dated a few weeks if I would ever consider dating a girl that didn't smoke. I was like "Oh shit - here it comes, she wants to quit or had quit and just smoked with me so I'd hang out with her, but she's going to start nagging."

I replied "Nope. Probably not."

She was like "Yeah, me neither."

Whether it was sincere or she just didn't want me to break up with her so she knew she had a decision to make, I'll never know. But she smokes all the time with her friends so I assume it was sincere and 6 years later we'll still together and still smoking.

11. If she smokes, that's great!!! I'd be uber happy. That just means we will have some very in depth conversations about very stupid stuff. She doesn't have to smoke though, but she would have to be okay with weed as a whole not just the smoking aspect.

12. definite yes
    cant grow and date someone who doesn't smoke.. last thing you want is getting reported to the cops because of a bad break up ... but past that in my experience the few girls i've dated that haven't smoked seem to think your somehow less a person for doing so... and lastly the fucking nagging itself is enough to drive you fucking crazy.. never again just my opinion :smoking:

13. #13 dirtybongwaterr, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2010
    Smoking isn't a requirement, but they must fully respect. On that note, I usually end up getting with guys that smoke. It just happens, so I dunno :confused_2:

It seems like most couples consisting of a smoker and a non-smoker end up in the gridlock of trying to change their s/o's mind, or feeling pressured, or mad that they can't control their s/o, etc.... Those of you that truly have a happy balance going with that are lucky. I wouldn't turn down a guy simply because he doesn't smoke, but I wouldn't be shocked if future issues arose from that lil difference