Would you still vote for Obama?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by stoned budda, Feb 11, 2009.

1. You sir are correct. Thats why I voted for Ron Paul. I would smoke a blunt with Ron Paul if he toked. :smoke:

2. In response to the original post:

Yes, I would still vote for Obama.

Throughout the election and even now, conservatives have criticized Obama's supporters for blindly putting so much faith in him and treating him like a messiah. And I agree this is a valid criticism, but it doesn't mean every Obama supporter is naive or that he isn't capable of doing good things for our country. It seems that way too many people see politics in polar opposites with no middle ground. It's the same mental state as a devoted football fan watching their favorite team play a close game. I just think we all need to be more cooperative and open to people whose political beliefs differ from our own. That's the only way we can accomplish anything.

Anyone who would change their vote based on the events of the past 4 weeks obviously wasn't making a very informed decision in the first place. I followed the election pretty closely and to me Obama hasn't done anything surprising or off course from his message. The only exception would be some of his cabinet nominations, but there's no reason to believe he had any way of foreseeing these problems. That's the reason we have confirmations anyway.

It's important to understand that Barack Obama is just a human being. It seems like his opponents are holding him to more messianic standards than his supporters now. Of course he's going to make some mistakes, of course there are going to be difficult decisions and unexpected situations. It's entirely too soon to condemn his presidency, or to say that he's more of the same. Maybe there would be a legitimate argument if you had made this thread 3 or 4 months from now, but even that would probably be pushing it.

As for the stimulus plan... our economy is in such horrible shape that we HAVE to take action before we're in another Great Depression or worse. I don't like the fact that this bill hasn't even had time to be reviewed before being voted on, but it's better than doing nothing. By the time the people in our government break down every single part of the bill and argue about it, it might already be too late. This is what I don't understand about the Republicans' argument... they criticize and oppose everything about this stimulus plan, but they don't suggest a viable alternative. Do we just sit back, have as little government involvement in the economy as possible, and watch our nation collapse?

3. That's been the neo-cons' agenda all along. :devious:

4. To the original question, I didn't vote fore Obama or Mccain nor would I vote for either now, that said I think it is still early to judge Obama fully, but we seem to be off to a rocky start.

5. The American Recovery and Rescue Plan - although it includes a less than necessary modicum of schematics - is still the most beneficial "stimulus package" since the New Deal. Huge investments in infrastructure and schools, relief for near-foreclosed homeowners and stronger regulation of the central banking system, the largest tax cut in american history, etc.

I feel sorry for all the Rush-heads out there that are praying for Obama to fail in his presidency. In one month he has proven himself the most progressive president of the last 50 years. An ambitious economic project, swiftly closing torture camps and political prisons all around the world, a newly appointed pro-pot DEA Chief, the sweeping cures stemming from previously restricted genetic research and huge governemnt investment in science and space exploration, alternative energy initiatives, i mean the list really goes on. Best of all, he's promised us no more wars without U.N. approval. It's nice to have a president that actually believes in real globalization. I couldn't imagine what kind of shitstorm mccain's insanely right-wing administration would have cooked up by this time.

6. #66 Dirk Gently, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
    Obama was actually elected just so he could steal the Hope Diamond!

McCain would've done the same, I suppose, so yeah, I would vote for Obama again.

7. If Obama is going to serve four years he is currently about 1.5% done with his term, If he's going to serve 8 years (my guess) he's about ... 0.75% done, so IMO it's a little too early to judge I honestly think he's being doing just fine but...well It's only been 26 days.

Sort of like firing a head coach after 2 Games(1.5%) in the NBA (82 Games) ?

8. I don't want an progressive president, I want a good one, so far Obama hasn't lived up to the hype nor do I think he ever will. Though, here's to hoping I am wrong.

9. #69 Deutschbag, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2009
    Largest tax cut that will be negated by inflation. There is no such thing as a free lunch. You have no way of knowing that this so called "stimulus" package will work. This has never been done before and with the amount of debt we have. There are many arguments against the New Deal and time will only tell if this package will work.

And he didn't appoint anyone who is pro-pot, he hasn't even appointed his head of the DEA yet.

10. Yes I would still vote for him.

He hasn't even been president for a month, I'm still giving him a chance.

Am I thrilled with all of his appointments and cabinet members? No I'm not but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Why? Because in this country we have the doctrine of "Innocent until proven guilty", so until these cats fuck up royally I'm going to trust that they are doing what they believe is right.

I certainly wouldn't want McCain and Palin in the White House right now, better Obama than McCain.

11. Democrats had a whole lot more to do with the bailouts than did the repubs. Don't get me wrong I hate the shit out of both parties. Only Paul Gravel or Kucinich could lead our country in the right direction.

12. Wait you want globalization? Surely you do not understand what this entails.

13. Not enough choices in your poll.

I didn't vote for him in the first place. I voted Democrat when I was 18. That was quite a while back. I will never do it again.

14. #74 the roach, Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2009
    It's been said before but it was either him or mcain/palin.
    I'm still glad I voted for our lord and savior Barack Obama.

It's a brilliant motto, it's stupid, generic, unclear, inspiring and uplifting. its perfectly designed and it worked.

If they're smart, they'll use it as often as they possibly can to keep the peasants thinking that a solution is within reach.

15. i registered to vote just so i could vote for mccain.

that being said, i don't think the national debt will ever be paid off. the last time it was, was what? 1840sih?

16. I think it's still to early to say. He's only been in office for 4 weeks. Its the damn republicans messin everything up(if you are a republican sorry, im obviously a liberal. His status of a pop icon is starting to get to me. We need a president in office not a celebrity.

17. #77 dosboot, Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2009
    LOL

of course there were other choices

Love your avatar, btw.

18. I really could not risk having Palin even close to the White House. There was only one choice.

19. of course there were other choices

i vote for the best person for the job

not the lesser of two evils

i don't vote for evil anymore

when evil wins, we all lose

and we all lost this time around

you think Bush was bad, just wait

and i'll never buy another drop of propaganda from either evil party again

have fun now

it will end very soon

:(

20. It's just as much the government's fault as it is the American voters. We put them all into power. There wouldn't be so much divisiveness in Washington if there weren't divisiveness amongst the general population. They didn't train us, we trained them. At least Obama is talking about bipartisanship... it's better than Bush's "my way or you're an anti-American" attitude.

What the hell does religion/ethnicity have to do with his administration? If you actually read up on the people he's chosen, you'd see that most of them have very strong backgrounds. I believe the figure of "7 Jewish guys as his first 7 administration picks " is somewhat of an exaggeration because the only Jewish people I have heard in any major positions are Rahm Emanuel and Peter Orszag. Most of the rest are Christian.

Yeah just like America was completely destroyed after the Great Depression and all the other recessions we've faced, when our government used various stimulus plans to help the economy. :rolleyes:

Hey I agree with you... I think the money would be better spent on the general population, but we don't know that there isn't some form of that in this bill. There are supposed to be tax cuts as well as money for infrastructure and small business. It's inaccurate to say that every dollar of that money is being spent on large corporations.

The point I'm trying to make, and I think the point Obama is trying to make, is that this is extremely urgent. If we take the time to argue and debate every single part of it, the economy is just going to continue on it's present path. Taking some form of action as soon as possible is much better than waiting until it's too late.