Would you rather (school related)...

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by froosh225, May 8, 2015.

1. Have a take home essay final exam or an in class final essay exam?

My seminar class was offered the option of having our in class essay exam become a take home essay exam ONLY IF the vote was unanimous. I'm all about having take home tests...especially when the test is an essay, but I was surprised that a couple of people in my class (and people I subsequently asked) would prefer to have an in class essay. So now I'm really curious as to what people think.

2. I write a lot better in class essays. I don't have bud, I'm not preoccupied, and I can't procrastinate. If you're better than me with losing focus, take that shit home. If not then I'd much rather have in class :)

3. #3 froosh225, May 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
    My main argument for a take home test is that now I have 6 days instead of 2 hours to write three essay questions. I can listen to music and I don't have to spend the 6 days up to the test studying and wondering what the questions will end up being. Everything is right in front of me so I'm not going to forget any material or provide inaccurate information. I just get way more anxious for in class. With take home I can budget my time so I just feel way more at ease. I'm really glad the vote ended up unanimous because otherwise I'd probably be freaking out right now.

4. i like the idea of a take home essay or report type of test. with todays tech being what it is its pretty much impossible to cheat. you cant just copy pasta like you could back in the forgotten days of yore. now a days they just copy large parts of your essay / report and google search it to see what comes up.

being able to do your essay at home gives you the time and ability to be really creative, be comfortable and enjoy the experience. i lived behind a library for the majority of my younger years. it was pretty fucking awesome to be honest. it felt to me like i had the most awesome book on the planet and it was mine....all mine lol! seriously i would get baked {when i was much older} and get lost in the place. i always did my home work / school work there.

anyway, i totally agree with you OP, i think that you should be able to do it at home. [​IMG]

5. I'd take it home, in-class is too much pressure.

6. How can you be allowed to take it home? Everyone would just cheat lol.

7. #7 froosh225, May 9, 2015
    Well it's graduate school so they don't care as much. And using the material to write a more solid and coherent essay is not cheating. The amount of material we cover in a semester is enormous. There is no way I could have memorized three essay questions worth of material for an inclass test.

8. If it's graded on a curve and they think they are more prepared than the rest of the class then why not vote for the in class essay?

9. I'd take it home and cheat. Fuck school though never again will I go there.

10. School is about more than just grades etc. Many times they also inadvertently teach you lessons about your future.
    Take home tests won't help in the future when you have no choice and need to work under pressure.

Get it?[​IMG]

11. Learning and being able to work under pressure isn't a bad thing.
    Just my opinion.

12. Not sure who "they" are here

It's graduate school...there's not a lot of cheating and on top of the test it specifically states that we can use course material since it's take home, we just can't work with others from the class.

Again, it's graduate school. We've probably learned most of our lessons about the future in undergrad. Now we are preparing to do the teaching. Plus there is much more emphasis on being able to evaluate the material and producing a coherent piece. I think that's better for our future in this stage of academia

Apologies. I guess I am so used to school questions being from high school kids.

Nonetheless, the type of people who can do well in timed Class tests will likely beat out those who can't handle it for jobs etc. in the future. Take it home, test your knowledge and abilities and write it twice. Once in 2 hrs and then take your time the second time. Compare them after.

14. #14 SlightlyStonedSD, May 9, 2015

15. #15 froosh225, May 9, 2015
    Oh I see. I don't know, how can you be much more prepared than having the articles and books right in front of you to draw from? That's something that wouldn't be allowed with an in class test. It seems pretty advantageous to everyone. And if a couple of people want in class because they're better under pressure, then they could just not look at the questions until 3 hours before it's due and it's essentially been the same thing. Then everyone wins.

16. oh okay I don't really know how the American system works.

17. #17 froosh225, May 9, 2015
    Well I imagine it's probably similar to other systems. Usually regular tests aren't take home tests. Idk, you don't usually have regular tests in grad school. It's typically papers as finals which you have all semester to work on. These are essay questions so really the only way we could cheat is by working together or plagiarizing, both of which would be pretty easy to detect .

18. #18 gauger buds 060746 200101, May 9, 2015
    it's not the testing that confuses me, its the grad school. Here in the UK there is no grad school it's just high school then you go off to uni or get a job.

I'm guessing you go to grad school after high school to graduate? There's no such thing as graduation here in the UK, if you fail you don't get flunked you still move on to the next year. Everyone has too leave school when the year they turn eighteen (school year).

Can't afford making mistakes on a test tho.

20. Id imagine the take home tests would be graded harder.

In class, in my experience, are easier if you know the basic material. Thats me personally, fuck 6 days. Give me 2 hrs to speed through and wing that shit.