Would you rather be beautiful when glanced at, or ugly when known?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Marleygirl07, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Would you rather be beautiful when glanced at or ugly when known?

2. Meaning like if you had to choose, would you rather be beautiful just on your outer appearance but have an ugly heart/personality on the inside, or be ugly on the outside but have a good kind caring heart/personality?

3. Lol you must be high man.

4. What?

5. I'd be ugly as fuck, no question.

6. I'd probably be a potato

7. Meaning like if you had to choose, would you rather be beautiful just on your outer appearance but have an ugly heart/personality on the inside, or be ugly on the outside but have a good kind caring heart/personality?

8. I already am one of those, y'all can take your pick.

9. ... beautiful on the outside, bitches like a jerk anyways.

10. Did you know? The OP can count to potato!

11. Trick question. If you are beautiful on the inside, you need not be critical of your outer appearance.

12. This certainly seems like the answer sometimes.

13. #14 Timesplasher, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2012
    beautiful when glanced at and beautifully ugly when known.

14. People will still love you. It's sad.

15. Beautiful/ugly all subjective
    Who decides which is which?
    you are you
    just be that

16. I would rather be beautiful when glanced at, answering OP's original question :D

17. #18 SkunkWoodz, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012
    ah snap smells paradoxal. Beauty at a glance for sure.. But looks like im with the crowd. It is better to be beautiful for just one single moment than to know ugliness forever. Beauty can change lives for the better, its all in the eye of the beholder..

ahhh i see where the author divulged more info with question now.
    inside beauty would be prefferable knowing its not just a glance.

18. The basic root of the question is: would you rather be attractive or have a good personality? OP tried to word it rhetorically and made it confusing.

Everyone's gut response is to say 'have a good personality' because it makes them seem noble and layered. It's a difficult thing to answer because except in extreme circumstances people aren't just one or the other. This has been presented as a pretty yes or no question but I'm bored so i'll take it to an unnecessary level:

Women, through no fault of their own, are more likely to choose beauty over men since society emphasises the female role as one of appearance and virtue (despite several decades of cultural deprogramming; and some people say feminism has run its course?). This doesn't mean woman are more likely to choose beauty over personality, simply that men are valued less on their appearance and more on their personhood.

The side to which you already naturally swing is also an important factor. People who are unattractive but have great personalities are more likely to value their personality and visa versa. However, this is assuming that all people work on an inverse scale in which having more of one means a lack of the other. Humans aren't really like that. We'd rather be a better all round person (looks and all) than deficient in one trait and excelling in another, at least that's how I see the majority of the human race - total deficiency in one area often leads to a psychological breakdown.

So in answer to your question, OP, if offered the choice I'd pick neither.

19. OP - the reason why everyone gave you shit at first and said it doesn't make sense is because you worded the title of the thread wrong. You said the same thing, twice, because you're high :D the thread title is, "would you rather be beautiful when glanced, ugly when known," when it should be, "would you rather be beautiful beautiful or ugly when glanced, vice versa when known," or something similar. Your original title implies the same thing twice (beautiful when glanced, ugly when known versus ugly when glanced, beautiful when known).

For the record, I would rather have an ugly appearance but be made of gold. The taunting/teasing would help me build up self-esteem by realizing other people's opinions don't matter and you would at least know that people entering your life for the best are there genuinely for you and not for superficial reasons. This question is actually pretty cut and dry because it's like asking are you superficial or not? If you would choose beautiful but to be ugly inside, that speaks for itself.