Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Would you quit smoking for a relationship?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by TheDankDefender, Jan 2, 2012.

1. I smoke weed because I enjoy it. If they want to enjoy me, they need to respect that fact.

2. depends, if there very anti-weed, with no hope of changing their views, then no, but if they are hot, and not stupid, and doesnt have any thing against weed, then probally yes

3. only if its for a serious relationship.

4. Depends on the situation, but generally speaking the answer would lean towards "no".
    There's just not enough negative factors in my case.
    I don't have copious amounts, I'm not stoned every minute of my free time, I am gainfully employed, I use the substance in moderation via a harmless method.

So I guess if any potential relationship candidate asked me to quit, my question would be "why?".

If the answer was "Because I don't like it", I'd tell them that was fair enough and that I'd not mention it and keep it away from them (and if they proved worth the time) stay straight the times I was with them, and just keep it to myself. If that wasn't good enough, then no, that wouldn't work.
    Obviously if you were to move in together, that would only be done on the basis of further discussion and arranging something that can work...if it can't, then no again.

If the answer was "It's illegal", I'd have to agree with them, though in letting them know this I wouldn't be agreeing to quit, I'd simply be acknowledging fact, letting them know that I was already aware of this, and that while I am a law abiding citizen 99.9% of the time, this is a particular law that I cannot get behind while things like smoking and alcohol are completely legal for all the harm they cause. I'd throw in that I was a non drinker/non smoker, my financial situation would ultimately be better if this is taken into consideration, as would my general temprement.
    I'd tell her she doesn't have to agree with me on these factors, but this is my preferred relaxant and I'm not going to cease because of frankly unfair laws that punish people that are more often than not peaceful, and waste police time that could be better spent on more dangerous criminals.

If I got the "gateway drug" bit, I'd say maybe for some, not for me.
    Hasn't been, isn't going to be.

It's unhealthy? Not how I do it.

Though really, an explanation and discussion of the matter is all I would really be willing to offer...if I'm not dealing with a logical human being (or yknow, as much so as a female can be :D ) that is willing to openly talk about things and accepting that me not agreeing with her isn't some sign of disrespect or whatever, then there's no point, and no I wouldn't consider being in a relationship with such a person.
    If there can't be a middle ground, then fuck it.

I will say though if you're a tireless pothead and wake and bake every morning, if you're constantly obviously stoned, if you're an actual stereotype of a stoner, always vague and hard to communicate with, and desperately hanging out 'til the next time you can blaze - well at this point I think a partner has a right to tell you to cut down or take a break, because when you're like this you kind've cease to be a "real" person.
    I've had friends ditch birthday occasions to go home and smoke bongs...yeah, that kind've shit is not on. If anyone was like that bad, I doubt a non-enthusiast would even entertain having a relationship with them in the first place - so you telling them not to run your shit would likely be a non-issue in this case.

Though, I'm one of the fortunate ones, my current partner indulges with me.
    I've never had another long term partner so it's never really been an issue that I've needed to get into...and while I have no actual hand-on experience with a partner telling me to stop/quit, I'd stand by the things I've said.
    The only thing I'm quitting for is the 3 months prior trying to have a kid, my girls pregnancy, and the 3 months after. Play it by ear at that point.

5. No, I wouldnt quit for a girl. Its part of me and I would only wanna be serious with someone who likes me for me! :)

6. Fuck that

7. It depends on why she wants me to quit. If she has a legitimate concern, like say my smoking is getting in the way of school or I'm wasting too much money, then I'll take her suggestion into consideration.

But if everything's fine and I have a handle on it all, and she still wants me to quit, then have her sit down while I explained a few things to her. Worst-case scenario, I'd cut-down on the smoking or maybe even stop altogether for like a month. By then, she'll have gotten to know me and be cool with it since I probably wouldn't give her any real reason to complain about anything else.

8. Let me ask this then...what if you are already married and in love but want to start smoking again but your significant other does not approve due to things they have been through with parents the neglected them to get high?

9. Fuck no if she cant accept my shit then she can GTFO plain and simple.

10. If I can't find a woman that is Intelligent and lively enough to either smoke or approve of marijuana then I doubt I will ever marry. For me, a (thriving) serious relationship can only form if both individuals fully love each other for who they are. This will be different for each person and everyone will likely have their own sense of a "perfect partner". Although this doesn't mean that both parties are always perfect, it does mean that they accept each other's faults or differences without question. However, every person is going to have their own limitations to what they can and cannot accept and it is this that ultimately determines how well two people can cooperate inside of a relationship.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is If a women can't trust me enough to believe that I'm making Intelligent and responsible decisions then I don't see why I would be with her in the first place.

11. Probably not a relationship I'd like to be in if they are so controlling that I can't use medicine for my stomach and anxiety :smoke:

12. Then I'd ask them if they think you're being like this, or showing signs of being the same.
    If you are, then you might want to take things into more consideration.
    Though if you are not, then tell them they're biased...they can't judge you based on other people doing the wrong thing, and you intend to show them that you're not like that.
    If they won't give you that chance...well I don't think it's relationship ending stuff anyway...it would be THEM ditching the relationship not you.

13. This situation happened to me. I told my girlfriend to accept me smoking and I will accept her past. It worked :D

14. no, 1 because i vape and its healthier and 2 because if i dont use marijuana medicinally i start to get all weird, personal problems like paranoia, anxiety, PTSD and depresion etc etc

15. If its serious and shes worth it then yes, but if its some fine bitch and like her a bit then tell her yes and keep it on the DL

16. others have probably said but if i really cared about them id try and educate them otherwise id be like yo its part of my life, been part of my life longer then you, if you cant accept it then you cannot accept me, door bitch!

17. are you serious? no id rather be 80 years old. and single and smoke weed all day. stupid question. yes i would quit

18. so you think she has the rite to say hell im not gonna be with you because you use marijuana, thats kind of shallow that she would not be able to get past that problem. but i understand where your coming from.

19. Secretly feed him/her weed brownies at some point..

Who knows, it might work!

Besides that, don't compromise your values and shtuff, smoke herb if that is what you wanna do. Girls always come and go and there's 6.8 billion people an Earth, some of which are girls that would probably be down to have your babies at some point.

20. #40 tonster0161, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2012
    not a chance man.

NO girl is worth changing for,there are to many out there that could be better than the one you already got.

besides,if she has a problem with you smoking weed then she is probably super uptight anyway or ignorant to what cannabis is and can do for people.either way not quality's i look for in a girl.