Would you pay $400 for a cat?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by 8ight, Jun 5, 2012.

1. [quote name='"8ight"']EDIT: I'M NOT PAYING $400 FOR THE CAT, IT'S $400 FOR THE SECURITY DEPOSIT. Most of you seems to be misunderstanding that.

Hey, so an old friend offered me one of her cats. She's a real chill cat, maybe 6 years old. I know her really well (I actually used to live with and take care of her) and she always jumps up on my lap when I'm over. But she's anti-social with other animals, and my friend has two other cats and two dogs. That's why she offered me this cat.

Anyway, I'd love to take her, but the problem is my apartment's security deposit for ONE CAT is $400. It's ridiculous. I live by myself in a small studio apartment and would love a cat to chill with, but I don't know if I really want to spend that much. On the other hand, work's picked up again so I'll be doing a lot of overtime, making extra $$$...

So, to the cat lovers (or any pet, for that matter), is $400 worth it? I've been wanting to take her ever since I moved here (6 months ago). I have money now that I could use for the deposit, but I just feel bad spending that when I should be saving it or paying off my credit card.[/quote]

Or don't pay the deposit, keep the money and the cat. I have done this at two different apartments. Cats are clean. Clean the shit box often and no one will be the wiser

2. Some evil fuckers out there, man.

I dont understand how ANYONE could harm a sweet kitty cat like this.

I say go for it, that cat needs all the love it can get.

3. I wouldn't look at it like I was spending $400 on a cat. I would look at it like I was spending $400 to have freedom to do as I please in my own home. To me that's worth it. It sounds like you have the cash to afford it and science has proven having pets extends your life and makes you a happier person. I think that's worth a little extra cash.

4. Sneak the cat in ? Profit ?

5. [quote name='"mjmama25"']I wouldn't look at it like I was spending $400 on a cat. I would look at it like I was spending $400 to have freedom to do as I please in my own home. To me that's worth it. It sounds like you have the cash to afford it and science has proven having pets extends your life and makes you a happier person. I think that's worth a little extra cash.[/quote]

They are in credit card debt. They can't afford it. Poor financial decision. Either no cat or sneak the cat

6. I may have misunderstood, but let me get this straight, regardless of where the money is actually going, is there going to be an exchange for $400 and a cat? At what point will he be able to get his money back and for what reason?

7. [quote name='"TherafluDaytime"']

I may have misunderstood, but let me get this straight, regardless of where the money is actually going, is there going to be an exchange for $400 and a cat? At what point will he be able to get his money back and for what reason?[/quote]

He can get the money back if the cat doesn't tear the place apart at the end of the lease.

Which it won't if it's trained right, hence the reason you should bypass the deposit

8. I guess it depends on how hungry I am and how the cat is gonna taste

9. yea, once i move out i'd get the $400 back, plus the security deposit. which btw... if for some reason the landlord would claim that cat caused damage, would i loose the pet deposit AND the security deposit?

not that i think that would happen. if anything, the cat would just mess up my couch. i don't see how she could cause any damage to the apartment itself.

i'm gonna call the landlord monday, make the payment. stoked. :)

10. [quote name='"TherafluDaytime"'] I wouldn't buy a genie for $400.[/quote]

And why the fuck not?

11. The pet deposit where I live is 500,yeah it sucked having to pay that much but my dogs are worth much more than that to me :) .

12. Have a nice long chat with the landlord about what the cat could do to make you lose your deposit. Most landlords will try to screw you out of your deposit on some technicality. I know, I'm a landlord.....

13. Yeah, I would (the deposit that is). I'm a very serious pet parent. I take them on for life. If the cost is $400 then that is what I'd pay or live elsewhere.

14. [quote name='"astro-not"']

Or don't pay the deposit, keep the money and the cat. I have done this at two different apartments. Cats are clean. Clean the shit box often and no one will be the wiser[/quote]

Or this... If it were just a cat, I'd do this.

15. [quote name='"TherafluDaytime"']Man, I think that's a crazy price. I've gotten 4 cats in my lifetime, never paid more than $100 for any of them. The last 2 I got for free. Unless its some sort of special breed I'll say hell no. Don't forget many animals are in shelters that are free that need to be rescued. $400? Never. I wouldn't buy a genie for $400. It is way way way overpriced, I'd feel bad if you bought it, if you want a cat I can get you one for $50. But I don't know where you live. Way over priced bro, if you'd like a cat go to the shelter, this way you'll be doing a good deed and not paying much if anything at all. (Maybe $50, for fees and whatnot)[/quote]

He didn't say he was gonnna buy the cat for $400 ..... He's getting it for free but if he takes it , he as to give a security deposit to landlord .

16. LMAO am I the only one thinking I'd just have the damned cat without ever paying that BS deposit?