Would you pay $400 for a cat?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by 8ight, Jun 5, 2012.

1. #1 8ight, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2012
    EDIT: I'M NOT PAYING $400 FOR THE CAT, IT'S $400 FOR THE SECURITY DEPOSIT. Most of you seems to be misunderstanding that.

Hey, so an old friend offered me one of her cats. She's a real chill cat, maybe 6 years old. I know her really well (I actually used to live with and take care of her) and she always jumps up on my lap when I'm over. But she's anti-social with other animals, and my friend has two other cats and two dogs. That's why she offered me this cat.

Anyway, I'd love to take her, but the problem is my apartment's security deposit for ONE CAT is $400. It's ridiculous. I live by myself in a small studio apartment and would love a cat to chill with, but I don't know if I really want to spend that much. On the other hand, work's picked up again so I'll be doing a lot of overtime, making extra $$$...

So, to the cat lovers (or any pet, for that matter), is $400 worth it? I've been wanting to take her ever since I moved here (6 months ago). I have money now that I could use for the deposit, but I just feel bad spending that when I should be saving it or paying off my credit card.

2. only if it was an abyssinian, because those fuckers are legit

thats just me and im high

3. No! I would get a pit and a Oz :)

4. well...it's a deposit..keep the place clean and odor free and you get it back.

BUT...some places have shady managers that like to just claim the apt was wrecked and kee the deposits, no matter how clean it is.

Me...I couldn't live without a pet to console me when depressed (most of the time...).:eek:

I say...go for it!

5. Man, I think that's a crazy price. I've gotten 4 cats in my lifetime, never paid more than $100 for any of them. The last 2 I got for free. Unless its some sort of special breed I'll say hell no. Don't forget many animals are in shelters that are free that need to be rescued. $400? Never. I wouldn't buy a genie for $400. It is way way way overpriced, I'd feel bad if you bought it, if you want a cat I can get you one for $50. But I don't know where you live. Way over priced bro, if you'd like a cat go to the shelter, this way you'll be doing a good deed and not paying much if anything at all. (Maybe $50, for fees and whatnot)

6. Unless its exotic I wouldn't pay 400 for a 6 year old cat.

7. ...ya...details of the OP's post shouldn't prevent some input...:p

the 400 is for a returnable deposit people...read the first post before sticking foot in mouth...

8. Yea blades, I'm not paying for the cat, just the deposit. My friend is offering me the cat plus a food bowl and filtered water bowl.

And the friend I'd be getting the cat from rescued her. The previous owner was abusive (the cat doesn't have a tail and vets believe her legs were once broken--she can't jump nearly as high as most cats).

Don't worry, I would never pay for a pet store cat. That's just disgusting.

9. If a cat will give u joy then pay the 400 and bring that cat to his newhome.

10. this x 100, money comes and goes but a pet is something that will always be there:) (unless it dies)

11. I'd do it if you could afford to keep it.

12. $400 is kinda steep, but if you already know the cat well, i'd say it is worth it. Your cat will keep you lots of good company during smoke sessions!

13. It would be worth it for me. I can't live with out a cat or dog. I know a lot of people who sneak cats into their apartments. lol

14. To hell with cats, they're assholes.

15. Hell yea dude. She's awesome for that. Doesn't like other animals, but loves people.

I think I've decided to pay the deposit. I looked everything over and I'd still be good financially. There's certainly a lot of other things I could do with that $400, included paying down my card, but I miss having a cat (really, I miss having a dog, but they're not allowed. and really, i don't have time to properly care for a dog right now anyway). no really i do like cats, and she's real chill.

16. 400 for a 6 year old cat is crazy! I remember seeing these kittens at the flea market that was some kind of l eqyptian cat or something and were being sold for 1200! o_O

17. I would go to the SPCA and not pay 400.. Just save one for 50 bucks.

18. Yeah personally i'd check the shelters first off, theres a helluva lot of animals in need of a good home :(

But I mean if the me and the cat clicked, and I knew I could give him/her a good home, money wouldn't be an issue :) It's kinda lame putting price tags on animals but not a lot can be done about that I guess

Cat's are crazy awesome stoner pets too, all the love and affection with minimal fuss

19. take the cat but skip out on the 400 dollar deal

20. thanks for the replies... but... is nobody reading the first post?

I'm not paying anything for the cat. The $400 is for the security deposit.