Would you look at a family member different if...

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by GeorgeW Kush, Aug 25, 2011.

1. If a Parent or a Spouse pretty much said their religion comes before you, would you look at them differently?

My Father pretty much told me the other day that his religion comes before me and the family and I didnt really have a high opinion of him before but I look at him alot differently now.

So how would you look at a close family member if they pretty much said their religion was more important to them than you and family?

2. #3 JayTab, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2011
    Seems kinda selfish that ultimately his personal religious beliefs are held higher than the well-being of his family.

I would have answered: "Good luck getting Jesus to buy you a gift on father's day."

Edit: Yes.

3. I'd still look at them with my eyes..........

Yeah, I'd be offended.

4. I dont get him gifts period LOL and he would have slit my throat for saying that.

5. Of course I would.

Fortunately my parents love things that are real, instead of some fake God

6. then tell him you put smoking the herb before him

7. Hmmmmmm..... :rolleyes:

8. I really couldnt care.

9. yea in a way i would, but mostly i wouldnt care.

10. Lol I'd laugh in his face.

was he joking?

If not your dad is an idiot.

11. Serious

12. You gotta remember that people give up their lives for religion. So, it's not a strange belief that following the will of God is more important than your own life. If you believe in the bible, look at the story of Abraham who was willing to sacrifice his son for God.

So you should be thankful, at least your dad didn't put you on an alter and slit your throat with a knife in order appease God. Or, maybe you better start hiding all the knifes...

13. I tend to treat people with respect at all times. Those who don't show the same respect back are basically blacklisted and I don't speak to them anymore. I find that when people can say something hurtful to you without caring about hurting you, they don't care for you as much as they might like you to believe. I'm a strong believer that actions speak louder than words and people prove the way they feel for you daily in the things they do. If my father was to tell that to me, I'd distance myself from him. You have to wonder what his intention was in saying something that to the average idiot, would seem offensive regardless.

14. basically this

"I put religion above you or the rest of the family, son."
    "you trollin bro?"

15. Family comes before any "deity" in my opinion.

16. No I wouldn't. It'd annoy me, but I wouldn't think any less of him/her as a person, after all, I haven't lived in their shoes, I don't know what circumstances led them to the beliefs they hold today, so it's not my place to judge. Being that I believe in unity and that we are all one consciousness, I would probably laugh at the irony of placing someone over someone else when I in fact believe all to be the same :)

Live and let live.

17. First, I don't have the same beliefs as George's dad. But, how is it disrespectful to George, when his dad says that he has priorities, and son, serving God is the most important thing to his family. If George's dad said that George's mothers wishes were more important than George's wishes, is that being disrespectful?

18. Because George's son is a person. God is an idea that cannot be proved or disproved. Telling someone else that an idea is more important than a person is all most people need to hear before they split. It has nothing to do with priorities. You have to wonder why it would have to be said at all? What person in their right mind would just strike up a conversation and say something like that? You can have priorities, but that doesn't mean you have to make them known in ways that hurt others. Your idea of respect and mine do not have to agree.

19. If you are true believer in God, you believe that everything you are and everything you have are gifts from God. Think about that. George's birth/conception was a gift from God to George's dad. And, now this precious gift from God wants to be more important or even at an equal level to God? I think not, in George's dad mind.

Didn't you ever have to say prayer at dinner, or even go to church? Everything was a gift from God.

It's not about respect or lack of respect, for George's dad he is just acknowledging his love of God. I don't believe that George needs to believe in God, but he should be thankful for his dad, who gave him life, and should love him for who he is.