Would you live here?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Dr Limestone, Oct 14, 2012.

1. #1 Dr Limestone, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2012
    Hey blades,

I'm applying to about 15 different Grad schools in a couple of months and some of them are in places I don't know very much about. Care to help?

Below is a list of possible locations where I will live for the next 5 years. Please share any stories about or opinions of said places, but PLEASE for the love of God, if you say a place is good or bad, please give a reason.

I want to hear about people, entertainment, cost of living, weather, and anything else that makes living there awesome/shitty.

Thanks!

Eugene, Oregon
    Grand Forks, North Dakota
    Carbondale, Illinois
    Amherst, Massachusetts
    College Park, Maryland
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Tempe, Arizona
    Denver, Colorado
    Muncie, Indiana
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Albany, NY
    Ames, Iowa
    Toledo, Ohio

2. albany is a shithole, do not go there, it is not worth it

3. Denver is legit. Plenty of crime and fun to be done here.

4. Rochester all day!!!!:smoke: haha but oregon would probably be fun but I would probably put north dakota on the bottom of my list.

5. [quote name='"headsmaster"']

Rochester all day!!!!:smoke: haha but oregon would probably be fun but I would probably put north dakota on the bottom of my list.[/quote]

Rochester fucking sucks too

6. Haha idk dude upstate ny in general isn't bad but I knew mad people in rochester before I moved to Florida. Lots of hippie festivals in upstate ny too

7. Salt Lake City is beautiful. If you're thinking of University of Utah for grad school, that's where I'll be for grad as well. Neuroscience

Pocatello, ID is nasty

College Park is crime ridden, but the campus is nice

Denver and Tempe are legit choices

8. #8 aPersonUponaHill, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
    College Park, Maryland is not crime ridden. Its a college town, obvious. Which is ten or 15 minutes from DC. Does it have crime? Yea, people live there and its not in the middle of no where. It is very nice and the quality of the education and your professors is exceptional. The housing is nice also for those attending UMD, from what I have seen. In fact, in looking at your choices that would be in my top 3 places. But its a matter of what you like. What do you prefer out of where you live? Obviously you want a degree from an institution that is well-known. Plus UMD is just hot girls everywhere, the hot girl to ugly girl ratio is just abnormal to say the least.

Edit: Entertainment is great obviously because you live in a huge town with a lot of other students, plus you are right next to DC almost, and Baltimore is about 40 minutes away. Pretty much any entertainment you want.

People are friendly and nice, the large majority at least. Also we have a sizable hispanic population if that matters to you, I would think it does.

Cost of living is probably the highest of any of those places, or very near the top.

The weather is nice, it is average seasons but summers are hot(80s and 90s) and humid. Winters are typical, and yes the snow melts in a few days to a week usually. It does not stick around for long.

Also there are a lot of parties there and weed, so don't be swayed by "oh go to this party school." You are there to get an education, not to party and neglect your studies and fail. Which I am sure you know is an idiotic thing to base your choice off of anyway.

/Done

9. i would say NIU over SIU, NIU i hear is a big party college in Illinois. im also planning on going to school there. that and because i live in chicago suburbs

10. nah man, rochester is legit as long as you don't live in the inner-city

11. Denver or salt lake city would be your best bets honestly

12. Eugene is the best... i guess being a Duck fan is a little biased though

13. I'm moving to Tempe in the spring.. Lived there once before. It's the best place in the country. It never goes below 60 degrees there like ever.

14. I can tell you about amherst mass... I'm from Boston and its a different world approx 2hrs west definitely a college town... Very rural area really nice scenery, If it weren't for college kids the town would be barren... The bud is some of the best in state due too college kids and the local grows... Very quite place away from the college with not much too do except enjoy the country.. UMASS Amherst does have a pretty nice party scene however good luck.....

15. [quote name='"EasternSmoker"']College Park, Maryland is not crime ridden. Its a college town, obvious. Which is ten or 15 minutes from DC. Does it have crime? Yea, people live there and its not in the middle of no where. It is very nice and the quality of the education and your professors is exceptional. The housing is nice also for those attending UMD, from what I have seen. In fact, in looking at your choices that would be in my top 3 places. But its a matter of what you like. What do you prefer out of where you live? Obviously you want a degree from an institution that is well-known. Plus UMD is just hot girls everywhere, the hot girl to ugly girl ratio is just abnormal to say the least.

Edit: Entertainment is great obviously because you live in a huge town with a lot of other students, plus you are right next to DC almost, and Baltimore is about 40 minutes away. Pretty much any entertainment you want.

People are friendly and nice, the large majority at least. Also we have a sizable hispanic population if that matters to you, I would think it does.

Cost of living is probably the highest of any of those places, or very near the top.

The weather is nice, it is average seasons but summers are hot(80s and 90s) and humid. Winters are typical, and yes the snow melts in a few days to a week usually. It does not stick around for long.

Also there are a lot of parties there and weed, so don't be swayed by "oh go to this party school." You are there to get an education, not to party and neglect your studies and fail. Which I am sure you know is an idiotic thing to base your choice off of anyway.

/Done[/quote]

Take it from this guy I was gonna post pretty much everything he sai,d I live in Baltimore and visited college park frequently( girlfriend went to school there), it really is a great inviting atmosphere, I made soooo many friends in 1 day, also upstate NY is beautiful haven't been to a campus there though

16. [quote name='"Zeffel"']I'm moving to Tempe in the spring.. Lived there once before. It's the best place in the country. It never goes below 60 degrees there like ever.[/quote]

What Tempe are you living in!?!?

Tempe is great. I'm guessing your grad school is ASU. Well Tempe is dominated by ASU. It's a great town. Lots of bars and shops. The weather is fantastic. Expect 100s in the summer, 90s and 80s in the spring and fall and 70s and 60s in the winter. I pretty much wear shorts year round.

Tempe is in Phoenix by the way. Which happens to be the 5th largest city in the US :)

Arizona is great. You don't only got the desert either. Drive 1 1/2-2 hours north and your in pine forest and the weather drops significantly.

In the winter you are only 2-4 hours away from amazing ski resorts in the mountains.

You got the lakes to go party at!

Can't forget the river either! Throw a keg in a tube n float for hours getting drunk as fuck!

Tempe is great.

Arizona is great.

Go Sun Devils!

17. College Park is nice,never went there but I live in the Greater Baltimore Area

18. Get your medical card while in oregon itll be a Win-win

19. I'm from the northern VA area, and when I was checking out College Park for my own college choices I was not impressed with it. Of course it's not as violent as Baltimore, but it is MUCH more violent than any of those other schools OP listed. It's really not that nice of an area.

College Park crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout