Would you let your employees smoke on the job ?

Discussion in 'General' started by XVIPimp, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Simple Question: If you owned your own company, would you let your employee's smoke marijuana on the job site ?

The company is construction-based, so there are many risks of injury, on any given day.

Why or why not ?

2. hell no

that'd just be stupid, so much shit would happen

3. No, because they could get hurt. If they had a desk job, and I knew they could keep their shit together - then maybe.

Not if there are potential risks. That's just stupid.

4. No. When I was a heavy equipment operator I didn't smoke as I could easily kill someone. Same would apply to my employees. :( Non dangerous job? Toke up boys!:D

5. no, even if it weren't a dangerous job I wouldn't let them.

6. No way

If people are using tools, climbing on ladders, etc...there's no way

That would be such a potential liability. How do I know if some dude cuts his finger off with a saw, he doesn't decide to sue me for creating an unsafe workplace or something because I let people smoke weed (and probably smoked with them)

It would be a good way to lose a business in a hurry, in my opinion

7. No I wouldn't. Why do you think employers drug test in the first place, it's not necessarily because they care, it's because insurance companies demand that they test all of their employees in order to be insured.

Go ahead and smoke on the job, but don't let me catch you, and if you get hurt, when you fail a Dt don't look to me for any help, you did it to yourself.

8. No. If only for liability. If they got hurt they could probably sue your ass off. If it was a desk job and they could still work at the same rate and quality then i would look the other way but not expressly tell them they could

9. No way. Too much risk in a job like that.

I'd probably smoke with them after work, though. Just no smoking on the job.

10. Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I was expecting a lot more people saying yes.

11. another no

if you have to pay insurance on those people. the more injuries you have, the more your premium goes up.. easy as that.

also i think quality and speed of work would decline.

12. Fuck that too many chances for injury especially in doing construction. I mean if your high and there is heavy machinery moving all around thats just bad news bears.

It is also the fact that when it comes down to it, that it is your business and you most likely have put a lot of time and money into developing it and and accident can easily fuck everything up.

I like how the people who voted yes don't have any reasons behind it or want to say anything about it. Probably are the people who get high all day anyways so think they could get paid to do the same at work.

13. no ill get sued

14. Aw, I thought we got to pick which company. I'm going to play my game instead anyways:

Pizza place- No, how would I make a profit with a bunch of stoned cooks?

Sitcom writer- Absolutely! Get those creative juices flowing!

15. Haha, no way man.. marijuana is something for after work if you do not medicinally need it.

The only positive aspect would be the higher worker morale, but I doubt the job would get done any faster, but probably more slower..

16. i'm paying for a persons time, skillset, accrued knowledge, etc so I expect their best. if the employee feels that they operate better while high then that's obviously their choice. just the same, it's my choice to fire them if their work suffers for whatever reason.

the extent of my stopping them is a small paragraph in an HR handbook saying not to bring drugs on company property and me not enforcing a drug testing rule. your performance is what keeps you hired at my place of employ, high or not.

17. #17 Agalloch, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2009
    No, because if they get hurt while high or hurt someone else, legal issues.

People shouldn't be under the influence while at work.

18. no, not for a construction job.

19. Guys. I worked at construction job and my team smoke weed during work. Did they have any problems, no. They were extremely focus on work. They know the risk.

20. Who cares? Do that shit after work hippies!