Would you ever call the police on your own kid?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Murs, Jun 29, 2010.

1. #1 Murs, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2010
    I was reading a topic on another forum where a 16 year old kid was robo tripping and his mother turned off his TV so he flipped out and attacked her. Repeatedly punched her in the arm and the face. The father said he was going to press charges and 95% of the posters said thats the right thing to do.

Whats your opinion on this?

I personally would never ever under any circumstance press charges on my own kid. As a parent you protect your kid and support through anything...pressing charges on him is the exact opposite. Nobody seemed to realize that he's just 16 and criminal record lasts for life. I said just get him anger management and therapy but he said he was going through and pressing charges. I can't think of worse parenting...afraid to do his own damn parenting so he has the court system do it for him.

Would you ever press charges on your kid?

2. Nah, not in this case anyway. Who the fuck raises a kid that robotrips (at home nonetheless) at 16? They must be some shitty parents. I'm jumping to conclusions, but I don't care.

3. Depends on the situation.

I wouldn't ever have my kid arrested if I found drugs on him or anything like that. A sit down talk could possibly take care of that and an explanation.

But, if said kid is beating on myself or my wife profusely.. then you have a much bigger problem.

Violence is never cool. Especially within the family.

4. Depends.

Is this the first time they have ever done something like this? Probably not. I'd try counseling, etc etc etc.

Have they done this stupid shit before? Reoccurring theme? Damn right I'd call the cops. I'm not going to let my own child attempt to kick my ass.

5. i wouldnt call the police i would just beat his ass.

And after beating his ass he isnt straight and hes above 18 and pissing me off then ill call the cops

6. I am surprised the father didn't beat his ass.

A kid attacking someone, especially your mother, deserves to be charged.

7. I have...not for stupid shit but once because they were in danger and it was the only thing i could do.

8. Unless it was something that couldn't be dealt with by myself or my significant other.

Like if he was doing drugs - no, if he stole something - no, if he was dealing - no, if he got in a fight - depends how bad the injury was and if it would require legal action - if he killed someone - yes - almost anything else - no.

The only time I'd involve the police is if my kid was a danger to myself, my family, society or themselves.

9. yes, definitely for this

kid needs to learn the hard way if he's punching his mum in the face for switching off a tv

10. haha never. my parents never called the police on me, and I wouldnt do it to my kids either, no matter what they turn into. If they fuck up seriously ill try n get em help and if they dont want it and continue to fuck up their life ill jus kick em out of the house and when they come crawling back ill ask, so, gettin help sounds pretty kosher right about now hu? Considering you dont have SHIT, nothing, not even a buck to eat. So when and If i let u back into my house, you better fuckin appreciate every bite of food you eat, cause the real world costs money, and we all know YOU aint payin the bill. So get your shit together or you're not welcome anymore. Your call. I can only help so much.

11. Yeah, and now let me tell you how the legal system would read your statement.

"An adult attacking a child, regardless of reason, deserves to be charged."

12. Well, first of all, most charges and subsequent records obtained at 16 years old are not exactly "for life". A lot of offenses tend to "drop off" or can be expunged or sealed once you become an adult.

As far as how I would treat it, it would honestly depend on the situation. I wouldn't call simply for possession or something like that, but if it's a situation where I cannot control the person, or it is a habitual problem, then as a last resort I would use the authorities.

Unfortunately, the laws against adults are way too strict to resort to using violence to combat violence, so chances are the best methods (i.e. an old-fashioned ass-kickin') would likely not be used.

13. #13 I~Rok~Donks, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2010
    I would have whooped his ass...

Simple solution...

but about calling the cops on my child, can't tell until i have a child and im put in a situation..

but hopefully my parenting can prevent a situation like that from arising..

14. Talk about a bad trip.....

15. Yea, I'd beat his ass too. But man I could never have any kids though, I get pissed off to easily. I'd end up with some pretty meesed up kids.

16. It depends

Most of the time, I'm going to assume my parenting skills can solve the problem.

But if the kid is more or less an adult, and getting physical, then I don't see a problem calling the cops.

17. It'd depend on the situation.. only as a last resort. Getting shit on your kids record is just gonna make everything harder for you and the kid later on.

18. if my own kid did that, i would first of all woop his ass and i mean good.

19. Oh boy, if I ever lay one hand on my mom or look at her the wrong way my dad lets it be known. Jesus if I beat my mom I dont know if i'd be alive right now. I think this kid needs a beating more than anytihng.

20. I might if he hit his mother like that.

What I would want to do is beat the piss out of him, but if I did that then he could have me arrested.

I can't think of any other reason to call the police on my hypothetical child. If he came home covered in blood an confessed a murder I'd help him cover that shit up. If I caught him dealing massive amounts of drugs out of my house I'd make him give me a cut.

Hopefully if I ever have children they won't be the type to hit their mother, that's just fucked up.