Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Would you consume marijuana if pregnant?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Alrex, May 5, 2011.

1. yes. there's actually been a study done where a decent % of babies born while the mother was smoking only marijuana vs a non smoker had a lower fatality rate... and no i wont find the article so fuck off I could care less if you believe it

2. You're avoiding the argument by focusing a small part of it; the chemicals have no harmful affects on the fetus, and for there to be a person who is affected later in life by the mothers marijuana intake, it would require something to have happened to the fetus in the first place.

Regardless, you can theorize all you want, show me a study to back it up and it won't just be conjecture.

3. Infant mortaility rate doesnt prove much.

Did you know america has the highest infant mortality rate in all of the developed countries?

that means we have more babies dying at birth regardless of circumstance than any other developed country in the world

Dunno if it really matters if the baby does "die" from it.

More so what happens to their neurological formation 10 15 years down the road

4. So what your saying is

you have no research following those kids to see about there congnative development into there teens

And there is no research that provides such data. therefore I cant show you ^_^

5. Absolutely not. Although if I had to choose between weed and prescription pain killers, I guess I'd have to choose weed. But that's it.

6. yeah that would be a safer choice at least.

7. The study I linked goes up to ages 8 and 9, why don't you read it before spouting off bullshit.

8. Didnt I say teens?

9. risk your childs health for the sake of getting high? You do not know everything about cannabis. I am presuming you are not a scientist that conducts experiments on this or you wouldnt have asked this question. You sound like a lame mum if you are willing to risk your baby's health to get stoned.

10. Are you going to read the study? It pretty much invalidates your theories of children born to mothers who ingested marijuana during pregnancy having lowered cognitive abilities.

11. So if they can give the mom all kinds of drugs at the hospital then why not weed, it's much safer than any man made chemicals and drugs an shit

12. It'd be almost impossible and a bit useless to follow kids beyond the developmental years (I'd guess that'd be like 8 years old) since so many other variables kick in. It'd be interesting and I wish the government would approve a study like that, but they haven't yet and I don't see it happening for a while. A study that goes that far and long would require a huge grant fund, families that actually would stay in the study, and a very close eye on other variables (like if the kid starts smoking weed in their preteens w/o telling their parents, or even parenting styles would be something that would change the results). It's very unrealistic to expect a study to extend that far and truly be useful. Besides, tobacco and alcohol studies don't extend that far even and it's fairly common knowledge that those /are/ harmful to babies (and mothers at the same time).

13. Totally. Prescription pills are so scary for pregnant women to continue on.

14. Smoking is bad theory is horseshit. MJ isnt processed with chemicals like tobacco is.
    In fact I already said this in other posts but a scientific study showed that THC actually help protect lung air sacs from tobacco damage.

15. once again i say, it has already been stated in this thread that there is evidence that edibles/vaping would be harmless to the fetus and even beneficial. please dont post on here if you wont do your research and especially not if you're going to just try to judge the lady. she isnt doing anything wrong, just trying to find an answer to her question. this forum is getting too damn hateful lately.:cool:

16. So what your trying to tell me is

It doesnt follow them into there teens?

Good. Then I wont be experimenting on my children.

have a nice day

17. #57 gman7104, May 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2011
    Lol? have you noticed that after smoking all that pot, your memory is shit? Imagine getting high before you were even born... honestly, the best thing for a fetus is perfect homeostasis, eating the right balance of foods and such. Drugs are a huge no-no, especially a mind-altering substance like weed. It's just common sense.

EDIT: I also read the study, obviously there are things weed can do that are good. However, the brain of a baby works differently than the brain of adults. Certain drugs have actually shown to not even work on young kids. Nature intended the brain to work a certain way, and it did not intend it to be altered. This is why all drugs have some negative long term effect.

weed does many things in your brain. It has been shown to inhibit the part of the brain responsible for short term memory (I believe through inhibiting the neurotransmitter glutamate in a specific area of the brain) who knows what that will do to a developing brain.

18. #58 WeedBratton, May 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2011
    Actually, my memory is no worse after smoking pot, the effects of the drug are different for everyone.
    Did you know that it used to be "common sense" that the White man was the superior race, and he should deliver his glorious white-ness to all the non-whites, even if that meant extreme methods of assimilation?

Read, if you want to inform yourself on the topic you're debating over; Latest News - Dreher's Jamaican Pregnancy Study
    Erowid Cannabis Vault : Exposing Marijuana Myths

19. First of all, a test on 30 subjects isn't very conclusive. In addition, the effects of the marijuana may not be known until later in the baby's life. Studies have shown that certain long term effects of weed are worsened the earlier teenagers choose to start using. Also, certain complications may be changed/worsened by weed, we just may not realize it.

I personally have done one drug too many, to say the least. Personally, I feel absolutely fine, and I'm still just as smart and productive as I was before, if not smarter and even more motivated. The negative effect of drugs comes out later in life. We can't discuss other drugs here, but I know that there is no way all the drugs I used to do did not damage my brain in some way. I will probably pay for it when I get older.

20. does anyone else find it funny that this is just a thread of stoners arguing about weed?