Would this work alright as a temporary piece?

Discussion in 'Smoking Pipes, Glass Spoon Pipes' started by ErrdayImBubblin, Nov 18, 2011.

1. I just finished making a makeshift bong until I can get to a head shop next week (it's kinda far) so I was wondering if this would work well. The tube is PVC, but I don't see it becoming a problem due to the fact that it's not coming into contact with the flame. The bottom is just some random glass jar that I found in the garage, and the slide is made from an old flashlight and some metal plumbing pieces. Tell me what you think!

image-3574063734.png

2. No it's rubbish sorry

3. Any suggestions?

4. [quote name='"fairmasterOz"']No it's rubbish sorry[/quote]

Any suggestions?

5. use papers?

6. [quote name='"shitloaf"']use papers?[/quote]

I ran out, when I go to get my piece I'll be grabbing more papers too. I would've preferred rolling, but I can't

7. [quote name='"ErrdayImBubblin"']

Any suggestions?[/quote]

He's just fucking with you haha. Its fine, my homemade bongs are a hose, a bottle, and a socket

8. Pvc releases toxic chemicals when heated, use a plastic bottle or something.

9. [quote name='"ErrdayImBubblin"']

Any suggestions?[/quote]

Sorry man had to put my phone in my bag and must have sent that half written. I was going to say . 'no its rubbish sorry. Jk just make sure you run some flame around anything that's going to heat up to burn off any coatings'

10. [quote name='"russian radish"']Pvc releases toxic chemicals when heated, use a plastic bottle or something.[/quote]

Only the tube is PVC though, so wouldn't that be okay? The smoke is cooled off by then.

11. [quote name='"ErrdayImBubblin"']

Only the tube is PVC though, so wouldn't that be okay? The smoke is cooled off by then.[/quote]

Yeah mate it'll be fine. 1 weeks not going to affect you. Shit till I was 19 I smoked out of a Gatorade bottle garden hose and brass cone piece and I'm fine. Have fun

12. 1 week wont kill you, but as I've said (and many others) in so many homemade threads, using PVC or any other plastics for a tube is not safe.

The reason is not because they melt under heat, but because they degrade and are not chemically inert. Little components of them essentially fall off and get caught in your smoke, regardless of heat.

13. [quote name='"dirtridge"']
    1 week wont kill you, but as I've said (and many others) in so many homemade threads, using PVC or any other plastics for a tube is not safe.

The reason is not because they melt under heat, but because they degrade and are not chemically inert. Little components of them essentially fall off and get caught in your smoke, regardless of heat.[/quote]

This makes no sense to me. What excactly is it that causes the PVC to degrade? What are these little components?

14. PVC is a polymer, a long chain of chemical components. It is not chemically stable, so, when stressed, little strands of the polymer chains begin to break off.

These are often carcinogenic.

I'm not sure about all of them, but the VC in PVC is Vinyl-Chloride, and ingestion of vinyl-chloride has been linked to several diseases.

15. [quote name='"dirtridge"']
    PVC is a polymer, a long chain of chemical components. It is not chemically stable, so, when stressed, little strands of the polymer chains begin to break off.

These are often carcinogenic.

I'm not sure about all of them, but the VC in PVC is Vinyl-Chloride, and ingestion of vinyl-chloride has been linked to several diseases.[/quote]

Cheers bro I'll + some rep your way. But it probably wouldn't stop me rippin a couple through it if it was life or death

16. Thanks so much for the advice guys! I'll keep it in mind

17. Yeah and also all of the chemicals in marijuana smoke such as thc, tar, chlorophyll, etc react with the fragile polymer. Fuck yeah chemistry!