Would this setup work okay? (carbon filter/exhaust design)

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Budderball, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Hey all, I'm trying to get a proper setup for my next grow. Mainly, I'm looking for more efficient cooling and odor control.

I never put together anything like this up before so I was wondering if my plan below would be an effective setup before I go buying everything.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks,

-Budderball

Attached Files:

2. Flip it around so the scrubber is at the other end of the line. Meaning, you want to PULL air through the scrubber. With your current design you're pushing air through.

3. No your set up is not good . I do not know if your reflector has two vent ports ( most do ) , but if it does it should look like this CARBON FILTER ( it should be inside of your grow box) ,SHORT DUCT ,REFLECTOR,DUCT THAT LEADS OUT FROM THE BOX ,INLINE FAN (duct buster fans are not going to be strong to pull the air troug carbon filter) . So this is how it is going to work : Air from the grow box will get in to the carbon filter , then in to reflector and it will exhaust out from your grow box trough the inline fan. This set up is not the best one but work for many people . If you are looking for better set up then you should have your reflector cooled independently and have 2nd inline fan with carbon filter to ventilate the tent and create negative pressure for odor suppression .

4. Thanks guys, I knew I had it backwards. Unfortunately, my hood only has one duct port coming out of the top, so I don't know if I can have an optimal setup. Guess I'll have to do the cooling and scrubbing independently. If I have my carbon filter right above the exhaust, shouldn't be terribly inefficient at removing heat.

Would this be better?

Attached Files:

5. IMO, if you're going to use that hood, your first drawing was correct...
    Not the best way to do it, but if that's what you got to work with, then nothing you can do..
    Run with the first drawing....

If you can upgrade the hood, go to a sealed hood, and separate the lamp's cooling from the chamber's exhaust as Elvis said...

:wave:

6. Think I'm just going to work on getting a better HPS system first haha. I don't think my reflector would be easily swapped out, besides that, I like this little light. Maybe I can grab a 250w cool tube or something. Are cool tubes the way to go, or is there something better? Either way, thanks for the input guys. Appreciate it.

7. #7 RO76, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2012
    Try CAP LUMECOOL reflector . It is smaller than average sealed reflector but bigger than cool tube . It is perfect size for 3x3 grow box or tent( for bigger space you need slightly bigger reflector) . It has 6" ventilation ports and according to "Monster Garden" video review it is superior quality than Hydrofarm , but about 20% cheaper . There is a chance that you might need a wire adapter ( sometimes reflector wire socket can be different from your ballast plug) . But do not worry , it is only cost about $10 . Also www.greners.com have reflector ballast comparability chart .

8. Ya I agree Budderball....
    Elvis is a very respected member here and gives SOLID advise...
    I'd personally stick with what he suggests is you can afford to upgrade...

So IMHO, you're in good hands with Elvis's advise... ;)