Would this be a decent grow setup?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Csimp3, Feb 26, 2015.

1. So I found this on Craigslist and I'm wondering if this would be a decent setup for a first time grower? Was also thinkin about maybe going with 2 200 watt cfl lights instead of that one, would I notice a big difference in that light? Is the fan large enough and would that all work together? Any advice would help, thank you!

Attached Files:

2. It might work pretty well. It's all lowers priced equipment though, so I wouldn't pay too much for it.

The only things I don't care for in it are the low powered fan and batwing hood. They didn't mention brand but by the list of equipment I'm guessing they bought a cheap filter as well, which are often ineffective in eliminating odor.

3. They are asking $350, and said they won't take anything below 300, think it's worth it? I have checked it all out on Amazon, and it's all definitely lower end stuff

4. For 350 you could piece together that set up if you find the the right deals on eBay. Plus then you will at least know that your equipment will be new and not potentially abused

5. #5 james.wolverine97, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2015
    Why buy 2 x 200w CFL when you can buy 400w HPS still use same electric and 400 HPS = the best wattage per lumen compare to any other light. 

6. I thought the 600 watt was the most efficient in terms of power consumed to lumens that were created I'm pretty sure it is even better than the 1k watt . Pound for pound so to speak because a 1k watt will obviously put more lumens out

7. Actually yeah you're right just checked. 

8. Yeah but the 400 watt works pretty damn good. I have a 400 and a 600 from the brand you posted, apollo horticulture, and they for sure work nicely for a beginner like myself plus the heat is easily controlled

9. Actually we're both wrong, lolool I found this 

And yeah 400w is fine you don't really need 600w especially for summer grows, 400w can nicely do about 6 plants for personal usage 600w way too hot and will knock up your bill by 1/3. 

10. Aha I feel it I'm using the cheap bulbs for now I couldn't see spending a ton of money on a light bulb that is very similar but 3 times the cost

11. Yeah dude, I got the cheapest  one because I spent way too much in total so maybe next year I'll get a decent one I paid 10 pounds. 

12. Theres always LED!!

13. I got two mh bulbs for 30 off of eBay and they worked fine for me. You just have to look and their are plenty of deals to be had

14. #14 killset, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015
    Small light and small fan for a 4'x4'x6.5

15. CSimp...I only have ONE input, here...the rest, follow the advice you like.

If you replace an HID system with CFLs for ANY reason other than "I'm running a guerilla grow nobody can find out about", you're a fool.

A 23/100 CFL gives off 1600 lumens at the bulb. 10 of them will give you approximately 12K lux at 1 meter.

Yes, the bulbs can be hung closer to the plant.

BUT a 1000 watt HID gives off 98 THOUSAND lumens at the bulb, or 73,500 lux at a distance of 1 meter. 10 "100 watt" cfls INITIALLY give you less than 23% of what an HID system delivers in light energy, even considering the changes in distances required.

Plants are little solar energy machines..."moar light" WORKS. Natural sunlight's 128,000 lux, even the best of the best of lighting system's can't match it, so an indoor grow CAN'T match outdoor in size and yield...but why in god's name would you fucking cripple yourself further, if you have the hardware to handle heat and humidity issues associated with HID systems!?!?!?

16. Thank you guys for all the help, as for this setup, unless I can get it way cheap, I think I will keep looking. And I live in co so no need to hide the setup, just thought cfl would be easier to cool, and less expensive, but think I will stick to mh and hps around 400 watts, thanks again everyone!

17. Also found one with a 300 watt led grow light, would that be anywhere close to effective for flowering?

18. You need more light because that 300 watt led is probably only putting out 180 actual watts.