Would These Lights Work On A Tight Budget?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by FluffyMyNameIs, May 30, 2013.

1. #1 FluffyMyNameIs, May 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2013
    http://www.amazon.com/Bayco-SL-300N4-Clamp-Aluminum-Reflector/dp/B007RKKEHA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369944578&sr=8-1&keywords=utility+lamp

I am on an extremely low budget. I don't care if it takes longer to grow the girls, I just want to know if these will work if I have like 5 of them with high wattage bulbs. Thank you -newbie at growing. :EDIT: I'm on like a 100-200 dollar budget until next summer. If they won't work, what would you suggest. I only have around fifty dollars to spend on lights.

2. Ally from what heard hasn't got the reflective properties your looking for, what kind of space you using. I wont lie I'm a noob but I will help where I can take a look at indoor grow part of the forum for my thread titled my first grow diary I've spent around £40 in UK. Depending on space depend and DIY ability you can do it for very cheap.

3. Basement. Room isn't an issue :)

4. Do you know anyone scrapping any metal sheet or can get hold of any Mylar. If in a basement I would say tent with homemade Mylar light hood that can be lowered and raised. Ok for one crop at a time as all you have to do is lift the lights as needed and change bulbs. When flowering but find something that's 80% reflective and above. My hood is polished steal I believe and around 85-90% possibly 92% if I'm lucky.

5. Interesting. Thanks! If anyone has any other cheep suggestions for lighting please let me know.

6. Get a self ballasted Cfl one blue and one red. Blue for vegg and red for bloom. 25-50 bucks depending on what brand and wattage. Goes from 125w-200w and add a bat wing and done. No need to go crazy on things you don't really need. 1 fan should do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. #8 FluffyMyNameIs, May 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2013
    Do I have to install them or do they just have a plug for the wall socket, and is this what you're talking about? And can a CFL light work in a regular fixture?

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-FLCDG125D-125-Watt-Compact-Fluorescent/dp/B001UV6P9I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369966649&sr=8-1&keywords=cfl+grow+light

8. Yup that's it! Its 120v so just plug it into the wall, simple no?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. That 60 watt light should do the trick you need a min of 2 lights per plant.
    As far as colour temperature goes people generally say to get as close to 2700K for flowering and 6500-6400K  for veg.  
    or a good mix of both throughout your grow would probably be the best.

Im growing with a 5000K  and 3000K at the moment (because im a poor uni student lol) and my plant seems to always lean towards the 5000k.  
    (I wouldn't recommend using a 3000K I think its colour is too far into the green range and thus fairly ineffective).

If you don't know what the Kelvin rating is of a light bulb  and how it affects your plants growth then you need to do a some research,  Dont expect to get a good harvest or even get to harvest if you haven't done any research on the basics.

10. for $12 you would be way better off with a 4 foot shop light and cool bulbs.....ballast and bulbs.....$19

11. Yeah I'm still doing my research I don't plan on doing anything until it becomes legal in Missouri anyway 

all good brother, hope it works out for you!

13. #14 BonghornLeghorn, May 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2013
    Yes, but I would say use two, and buy at the very least, these bulbs for the grow. Should give you 8 or 9 thousand lumens in the grow space. At 5000K they'll be good for both the veg and flower if you're on a budget, as there's enough from both ends of the spectrum for the plant.
    http://www.amazon.com/Square-Perfect-Professional-Fluorescent-Photography/dp/B000W07Y5M/ref=sr_1_50?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1369998734&sr=1-50&keywords=300+watt+cfl

To use those in the shades you bought, you'll also need one of these (which you can buy at any home reno store for 5 bucks in the electrical isle, not lighting isle):
    http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-2005-Medium-Medium-Extensions-Incandescent/dp/B0006GQM5A/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1369998830&sr=1-4&keywords=lampholder+extender

And that should bring you close to or under 50 bucks in the end.

Should be able to do 3 plants no problem under these lights. 5 might be getting a bit much.

14. Thanks, man!

15. I'm still open to ideas so feel free to keep posting.