Would there be any problems with using this shape pot for a hempy?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by PorcupineTree, Aug 18, 2018.

1. What's up, folks? I was planning on doing a few SOG runs using these one gallon containers. They're perfect for my set up. However, I just wanted to check in with GC to find out if there may be a problem with the smaller mouth, maybe preventing oxygen from getting to the roots? I'm going to have around 80 of them so I really don't want to have to go to the trouble of cutting the tops off of them. Anyone?

Attached Files:

2. 1 gal is a little too small imo

3. Well I was going to do a 2 liter bottle hempy grow, but they're just a little too small. I mean not too small to grow, just too small to mess with that many containers. It can definitely be done in one gallon, being that I've seen it done in 2 liters many times.

Case in point:
    Come SOG with Me - 112 Plant - 2 Liter - Hempy SOG

But, just worried about the shape of it. Thanks for the response.

4. Besides the fact that its pretty much clear i think it can work

5. Ya technically you are correct and i have made many all different sizes but i wouldnt want to wast 4 months on one that small. My money, time, and back says dont wast our time and i listened well.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1534961716.858448.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1534961798.655660.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1534961820.605090.jpg

6. Thanks for the response. What's the deal with the four months? The whole reason I'm doing SOG with smaller containers is to reduce veg time

7. W

Well depending on strain of course but 3 1/2 months is the norm. I start from seed. I think if your going from clone you can shave time.

8. 3 1/2 months from seed to harvest..

I veg up to about day 30-35 then hit the flower switch.. with another 8-10 weeks flowering its about 3 1/2 months or so

9. I was planning on max 2 weeks veg after clones are rooted.

10. Nice.. definitely do-able.. i just dont think itll have enough colas on the clone in just only 2 weeks after roots but it will work.. you can actually flower ur clone b-4 its rooted and itll still flower up

Hope this helps!!

11. II
    Yeah, I got the idea from this guy:

Come SOG with Me - 112 Plant - 2 Liter - Hempy SOG

He did a nice SOG with 2 liter bottle hempies. Basically, he put the clones in an aero cloner, and waited until the roots grew down toward the reservoir, long enough to reach the reservoir in the bottom of the hempy 2 liter bottles, then transplanted them and went straight to 12/12. The plants wound up being 18 in tall with an average of 14 or 15 grams on each one. If you do the math, that is a lot of harvest for even a small space.

Here is a good tool for calculating how many pots of a particular diameter will fit inside a particular rectangular space.

Circles within a Rectangle

I can't deal with that many containers, the 2-liters being so small and numerous, so I plan on using the one gallon containers instead, which are twice the size in volume, but 6 inches in diameter rather than 4.5 inches in diameter like the 2-liters. Plus, with the system I have planned, I'm going to have to veg them for some time and if you veg clones in a 2 L for any time rather than just starting them at 12/12, there's a risk of them becoming root bound.

I want to maximize the amount of harvest I can get from my particular space. So, my plan is this: I have one 2x4 veg tent, and two 2x4 flower tents. I plan on taking about 30 clones and starting them in the veg tent, and after vegging for about a month, move those plants to a flower tent and take a clone off each one before flipping to 12/12, and take the new clones and put them in the veg tent for a month. At this point one set of 30 will have been flowering for 30 days, and the other set of plants/clones will have been vegging for 30 days. Then, I take the plants that have been vegging for one month and move them to the other flower tent and take clones off those and start them in the veg tent. After a month the first 30 plants will be ready to harvest and I keep rotating and harvest one 2x4 tent every month. Maybe a little less because I have some strains that are 45 to 50 days. I've done this before but not so extensively, meaning perpetually taking clones off each plant rather than using a mother. This way, I should be able to harvest a pound every month. We'll see how it works.

Edit: Oh and thanks for the tip on being able to flower the clones before they are rooted. I didn't know if you could do that or not and I've never tried. Appreciate it!