Would ones '' political'' beliefs stop you from being a friend to '' said person,?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by chicken, Feb 4, 2011.

1. SAY YOU WAS TO MEET SOMEONE,,,,KINDA DIGGED HIM,, HE TALKED COOL,, HANGED OUT AT SOME OF THE SAME LOCATIONS YOU DID,, OR YOU MET HIM THRU WORK,,,,

AND THEN FOUND OUT HE WAS ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE FENCE,,, POLITICALLY THAN YOU WERE,,,,,

would you terminate, any friendship building you may have been doing,?

or just continue on,,,, and like the guy,, regardless of his political views,?:cool:

even a internet person,,, whom youve never met personally,,,

does political standing,, mean that much to you,,,,,

or are you like me,,, take a person for what he is,, no matter what his political standings may be ????:cool:

2. No, but I do judge them. :D

3. #3 Eric111E, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2011
    I could care less, as long as they respect my opinion as I respect theirs. People who argue against your opinion till their blue in the face are annoying as fuck and I'll just never talk politics with them again, but I wont not be friends with them

4. Ya i'd stay friends with him. But I would remind him constantly that my side of the fence has cookies.

5. Im sorry,i had to go with the last option there as it was definitely the best answer :)

To answer your question accurately though, a persons political beliefs does not determine my friendship with them.

However,there have been occasions when discussing these concepts in which i completely lost respect for someone. This was NOT because of their perspective, but rather because of their unwillingness to listen to my argument without jumping in the middle of it, straw-manning, straight up lying about what i said...

In other words ... when they display a clear and concise character flaw in which they are unable to rationalize outside their own knowledge.

I could name a few die-hard liberals and a few die-hard conservatives that i have lost respect for here on GC

6. Exactly how I feel

Respect given is respect earned

7. One of my best friends is a die hard liberal as strange as that sounds...

We talk politics a lot, even.

8. I don't really talk politics. I make myself aware of them, however, could give two shits less.

9. I'm Canadian, so basically everyone of my friends is a liberal, and those who do share my beliefs are a complete bore. The ony way that politics would affect my firendship would be if you were a neo-nazi.

10. #11 rex8000, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2011
    I take you for example, you have strong beliefs, and trust me when I say we don't see eye to eye on much.

But your personality sure is fun, and you're a cool guy. I'd consider you a friend, so that really doesn't get in the way of much. You learn to see past it and accept that everyone is gonna disagree on something. :smoke:

We have different views, but we each have our own convictions. And that's respectable, as long as they don't step on others'. :)

So that answers your question. :cool:

11. Dude if I can be friends with chicken then I can be friends with anybody. :hello:

Its much more fun to have friends that have opposite viewpoints, only Politicians & The Elite surround themselves with Yes men.

12. lol... i only had 3 questions,,, but 4 poll openings,,,,,

so i threw something in there,,,:cool:

13. Weren't you going to leave or something?

14. I voted yes, although only in extreme situations. If somebody is so unabashedly a fascist, I won't be friends with them, for example.

15. I lol'd but I'm not sure why :confused:

16. It's pretty safe to say that certain political views simply would end up fucking shit up REAL bad (and in the US, despite everything, it can get MUCH worse!!). Not gonna name any views specifically - if given any power. If the philiosophies' (or lack thereof, which is my point) visions comes to fruition, it would be absolutely disasterous. I would not be friends with those people.

otherwise i try to see the good in people. we all make mistakes.:smoking:

17. Beh, if I can be friends with chicken I can be friends with anybody... :p

I try to judge people on their personality - if someone's personality gels with mine and mine gels with theirs, then we both like each other and shall be friends. If not, then there's no basis for friendship... politics don't really come into it, except in situations such as IrishChoctaw outlined - an avowed fascist, white supremicists etc

18. actually i tend to look for people with strong political opinions as friends. we argue a lot, but that shit is fun....and it only ever came to blows once.

19. Same as what pretty much everyone said, except if it was my girlfriend / potential relationship significant other. Political views that greatly differ from mine are not allowed. =P, unless they can be justified in ways i can agree, which is not likely.