Would it be safe to keep reptiles/fish in my room

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Nyxierawr, Sep 10, 2013.

1. If me and my fiancé smoke in there? We are moving to a new place and were going to for the time being put our Betta fish and bearded dragons in the bedroom, but we smoke in the bedroom. Would it be okay to have them in there?
    We would have the window open, and the fan blowing to push smoke out the window and away from them.

2. Pretty sure it would be ok. I smoke around my reptiles all the time. Snakes, not lizards. Just don't hot box your room that might give your beardy a respiratory infection but if there's air flow and there's somewhere for the smoke to get out I think it will be fine. I don't really think it matters if the fish is near you because they don't really breath the air that has smoke in it, they breath oxygen from the water that's why they have gills, right? Idk maybe I'm wrong because I don't know much about betas but I would think they're like most other fish.

3. the beardies love to eat bud

4. Yeah the room is a pretty big size, we're gettin a huge kingside bed for it with room to spare, yay! Haha but deff don't want our beardies gettin sick. Betta fish are actually surface breathing fish. He does have a bubbler and a surface plant to help keep his tank nice.

5. #5 FaMiLytilIdie, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
    As long as you keep a fan maybe pointing out of the room or out a window to make sure the smoke to air ratio doesn't get to bad then it should be alright. My snakes don't seem to mind, I've held them many times while smoking or just after smoking and they've never acted like the smoke aggravated them or anything and they're all very healthy. I think you should be ok with your lizard but honestly I'm not sure about the fish haha I didn't even know they were surface breathing  :confused_2:

Congratz on the new place btw :smoke:  moving is almost always exciting, assuming it's better than where you were living previously of course haha

Like I said though my snakes don't seem to have any eye irritation or respiratory irritations from the smoke, as long as its ventilated then it will be alright. Maybe try it then hold your lizards for awhile and see if they're doing odd things with their eyes like blinking to much or squinting or acting out of the ordinary. They will probably give off subtle signs if the smoke is irritating them.

6. Yeah. Haha Bettas are strange, but pretty chill. Awesome to watch swim when high haha. Yeah we're going from a house to an villa in a complex the villas a bit bigger. I'm stoked.

7. We had one in class in like 2nd grade they do look really cool. My fiancee and I had a 75 gallon salt water reef aquarium but we sold it to a relative, I regret it haha it was basically a little ecosystem. Like a piece of the Ocean right in the house, I liked getting stoned and watching the fish interact.

That sounds sweet though, good luck on your move hope everything goes smooth for you!

8. Your fish will be fine, they utilize dissolved oxygen from the water. Besides, bettas survive in fairly hypoxic condition anyway. As someone else stated, just don't hotbox your reptiles. They are most certainly more susceptible to respiratory infections.

9. That's not true, bettas actually require a filter that can circulate the water completely.  People assume they're okay because they breathe air, but in reality, they need a good filter.  They aren't hypoxic, they possess an organ that allows them to breathe air directly.

In the presence of well oxygenated water, bettas wont breathe atmospheric oxygen.  neither will goldfish.

10. I think the person may be concerned because Betta fish have a labyrinth organ which which allows them to breath air from the surface. But just like everyone else says just don't bake out your room and they'll be fine lol.

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. #11 cannabisqueen96, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2013
    it will be ok if you have a covered lid over your betta. betta fish breath from the air so its probably more dangerous for them than for other fish. i do know that it is toxic to fish so don't spill anything in the fishes bowl. heard a fish tank horror story once where some one got mad at one of there friends and  poured bong water in there friends  tank , killed everything almost instantly. im a big time fish hobbyist and this is something i worry about. whether my smoking will effect them , and stupid people