Worth making ISO Hash with just bud?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by ivraan, Dec 8, 2011.

1. I come up with the idea today with my next half or ounce pick-up to use about a quarter of the bud and turn it into iso hash, since I do not have the ability to wash it since I cannot let my house reek of pot. I was simply wondering if making iso hash with about a quarter of high quality bud worth it or should I use another form of extraction?

2. eh...........
    I'd say no.
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE ISO! But I love it because its quick, simple, efficient, and gets me BOMB hash from "trash" (though its really sugar leaves, mainly, with lots of popcorn).
    But if your buying bud, I'd advise against making hash unless its for the novelty of smoking some really potent hash. And if you are doing hash, read into BHO. The set ups for BHO and QWISO are about the same, and if you are processing only a small ammt you could get a cheap BHO extraction tube (turkey baster). BHO > QWISO. My friend makes BHO rarely and I've hit it even rarer, but I can say it tastes 200% better than my qwiso's. The high's are different, but I can appreciate both.

3. bho is the only way to go.

4. #4 washedmothafuka, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2011
    Pretty much what this dude said, except if you're buying bud period...it's kind of tough to make A LOT of high quality extracts. Maybe for a different opinion I'll say go ahead and make the QWISO or BHO if you have the money to spare. The best bho and qwiso is made from strait nuggets anyways.

To give you an idea of a yield you might get. Here is a run I just did last night with ~14gs of buds. It's in a normal grinder bottom, so you would get double this with good techniques.

Edit: Uhhh...so I had to put a new picture in. I've had this camera for over a year and never realized it had a MACRO setting! DURRR. You can see how much I've already smoked.

[​IMG]

5. ^ is that qwiso or BHO?
    If BHO I think I'm just going to sell my vector cans... Lol.
    Is that a short wash of qwiso? Do you end up with powders from the short washes? Or does it depend on the material?

6. Haha it's QWISO man. Vector is the shit, that's what I run when I make errl.

This is a 15 second wash, maybe less. Then I removed the strainer right away so that the iso didn't keep dripping into the cup. (That Iso has been sitting in the buds for longer like 20-30 seconds and contains extracted compounds you don't want.) I used to squeeze my iso'd buds to get all the juices out thinking I would get better yeilds when in fact I was literally squeezing the chlorophyll into my qwiso. It does depend on material, properly dried/cured frozen buds will release the least amount of chlorophyll. I like to toss my buds and Iso in the freezer a day before I make the batch. Then I decarb for 12 minutes, pop in the freezer for an hour and scrapeeeeee.

7. X.X I just started squeezing my stuff 2 washes ago; Going to stop now. So the powders result from short, dry bud, good quality washes then? My oily stuff is a combination of longer washes, and some fresh frozen bud (yes, I know, terrible)
    How do you(personally) decarb? I don't, but I think I should take the extra step/time and do it (seems everyone does it but me, going to go with the crowd on this one now). Does it make a substantial difference in potency? Can you decarb it when its in its extracted, hash state? (or is that what you are doing?)

Also, why freezer it? o.o aren't the flakes annoying? or is that just how you like your QWISO. (I find its a bit easier to scrape if you throw it on a heating pad and can collect it all that way, but I havn't done this with one of my powdered runs yet (lately all been oil))

8. Some of it is powdered, while other is more like broken glass shards. Some people like OSG believe that fresh frozen buds are the way to go. In order to use fresh you must freeze for at least 24 hours just to make sure everything is frozen.
    Decarbing your product is a crucial step that I just began to do a few weeks back. It heats up the qwiso and decarboxylizes THC-A isomer into the more psychoactive THC. I turn my oven to 215, wait 10 minutes and pop the pyrex in. 12 minutes later (bigger batches = longer decarb) I take it out and immediately put it in the freezer to stop the decarbing. This makes the qwiso hard so that you can scrape it off easier. The flakes are not from being in the freezer, it would be flaky either way, but you would just have to wait for it to cool down and harden up, the freezer makes it quicker.

9. Well unfortunately I don't have the option of an oven to use to cook with, or else I would use bho it's just the fact that I can't cook the bho out unless it an evaporate like alcohol. And I was doing this just for some high quality potent hash to put onto of some bud instead of just having straight bud to smoke all the time. With about 7 grams of bud I'd expect about what 10-13% of the yield in iso so about 1-1.5 grams?

10. Lol I think your math is a little off. You don't have to decarb it in the oven, just a extra step to making it a little better. With 7 grams of bud you could expect....maybe .5-.7 on your first run since you're inexperienced. Maybe you could get 1.5 grams if you let it soak for like 45 seconds.

11. So your qwiso is finished/dried when you decarb? So I can still decarb my hash? My frozen stuff's been in there for weeks. The product I get from there is nice, but its only because the buds are nice. The iso melts the ice, and water pulls chlorophyl (hence, the oil/taffy)

12. Qwiso is the cheapest method, bho is the fastest method, bubble is the cleanest method. From my experience qwiso is great. 1st method I've done and it works well. But I'll have to agree with everyone else and say that bho is the fastest purest method. I have a post showing a run I did with schwag and the specifics of the run a well. Turned out great, even though I used schwag.

13. What about qwiso, followed by hexane? :p

14. when making qwiso from buds, would you use whole buds or would you lightly break them up into smaller chunks? or does it really not matter?

thinking about picking up a half zip of some good mids and doing at least 2 runs of iso, though I'm hoping for 3.

15. Break them up to .1-.2 nugs. You're going to BUY a half zip just to make qwiso? That is really not worth it my friend. And just do one run of iso...the other two wont really produce well.

16. well I was gonna pick up a whole zip and try running a half, maybe run another quarter if the half doesn't yield much. was only thinking multiple runs so i could get my moneys worth out of it.

17. I would say that unless you live in a med state and have a card. Your gonna want to either be growing your own buds or have someone close that does and don't mind tossing you the trimmings and such. other wise hash and such is usually a treat.

18. i just got an oz of good bud and i used 13 grams of it to make iso hash, its still drying out but ill let you know how it is!

19. iso hash is worth it, you dont need to decarb it.. i dont do it anymore, decarbing is only if you are going to eat/cook with it.. i find decarbing makes it even more oilier and a little harder to handle.. usually when i make iso, ill put it outside with a fan blowing on it, and itll evaporate within 24 hours.. then just scrape it together, itll be really sticky but not super oily at this point, almost look like powder but its sticky, then if you leave it out indoors itll usually eventually melt together at room temperature. you dont need any heat to evaporate it, a fan blowing on it will do just fine.

as far as buying bud to use, up to you, if its cheap enough go for it.. i only vape oil in my omicron vaporizor, so i use small buds and sugar trim. that i grow.

my iso extract has never been powder or easy to handle.. its usually a amber color. i run it thru a few coffee filters before i dry it, so theres no bs in it. and only a short 15 second wash then strain it out with a strainer, then filter it thru the coffee filters so its not sitting there stripping more out as its straining.

i like iso extract because it extracts the whole cannaboid profile, since i use it for medicine, i need the pain relief etc. no so much the trippy high, which is what bho will give you.. so people who are real medical users, iso is better.. people who are just trying to get high, bho is better. (bho only strips thc)