Worst US loss of life in Afghan war as helicopter crash kills 38

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Limecat, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Yes, I have. Have you?

Hijackers in the September 11 attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

American Airlines Flight 11
    Hijackers: Mohamed Atta (Egyptian), Waleed al-Shehri (Saudi Arabian), Wail al-Shehri (Saudi Arabian), Abdulaziz al-Omari (Saudi Arabian), Satam al-Suqami (Saudi Arabian).

United Airlines Flight 175
    Hijackers: Marwan al-Shehhi (United Arab Emirati), Fayez Banihammad (United Arab Emirati), Mohand al-Shehri (Saudi Arabian), Hamza al-Ghamdi (Saudi Arabian), Ahmed al-Ghamdi (Saudi Arabian).

American Airlines Flight 77
    Hijackers: Hani Hanjour (Saudi Arabian), Khalid al-Mihdhar (Saudi Arabian), Majed Moqed (Saudi Arabian), Nawaf al-Hazmi (Saudi Arabian), Salem al-Hazmi (Saudi Arabian).

United Airlines Flight 93
    Hijackers: Ziad Jarrah (Lebanese), Ahmed al-Haznawi (Saudi Arabian), Ahmed al-Nami (Saudi Arabian), Saeed al-Ghamdi (Saudi Arabian).

So by my count that is 19 hijackers:
    15 from Saudi Arabia - 78.95%
    2 from UAE - 10.53%
    1 from Lebanon - 5.26%
    1 from Egypt - 5.26%

Saudi Arabia huh...hmmmm, we have a history of literally blowing them and their fucked up leaders for apparently no reason. And don't say oil. What would they do with it if we didn't buy it? Drink it? Pour it down the drain?

Iraq is a mistake but it hasn't been corrected. Why?

If we are bombing and killing people we are at war. If not, we are just terrorists. You said it, not me. ;) Either way we are murdering people, a lot of innocent civilians as well. What if someone was doing that to us? What would you call it?

2. heres another fun fact, Tora Bora, sound familiar? its the original place bin laden was hiding in.

Battle of Tora Bora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

we built bin ladens original hideout

3. That's the area, in the mountains, that we should have pattern bombed and attacked the heaviest, not Kabul and the other areas. I knew that back then, and I still think so, but if this would have been successful, there wouldn't have been a war to make money on.

Even though we used the wrong strategies, Afghanistan brought most of this upon itself by harboring and aiding bin laden after 9/11. What the fuck did they think we were going to do, send them flowers for refusing to hand him over to us (and I mean to the USA directly not a different country)? You fuck with a powerful country enough, you'll eventually get stomped on.

4. I'm not arguing that a nuclear strike was not the wise decision in world war 2, but thats because the loss of life of an invasion would have been much more. A nuclear strike in afghanistan because of 9/11 would be a ridiculous and idiotic move however.

5. Maybe it would have served as a wakeup call, to the people who permit terrorism to exist, that they'd better get their act together before it happens to them. But, in the long run I'm inclined to believe that other methods should be tried besides nukes - things that would scare the living bejesus out of anybody who even thinks about condoning or ignoring terrorism in their country.

6. I think nuclear weapons in general are "ridiculous" and "idiotic". How anyone can support them or their use on anyone ever is beyond me. It really makes me lose faith...perhaps the state IS winning. :(

7. Yes, play the "who is a bigger terrorist" card...out crazy the crazies right?? :(

8. #68 garrison68, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2011

I do not believe in terrorism, it's the business of self-defense against terrorism that we do not handle correctly nearly enough - mostly because of asinine morals based on christianity and other outmoded ideas.

Right after 9/11, Bush should have sent a diplomat for a private meeting, or phone conversation, with the top Taliban assholes in Afghanistan, to tell them that if they did not hand over bin laden, all of them and their entire families would be hung by their necks with a side of ham and pork.

9. pressing a red button behind a computer seems simple. But you gotta think about the incredible loss of life that a nuke would do... "showing them whose boss" lol... we would lose the moral high ground even more. We already lost the moral high ground after the waterboarding stuff.

10. I'd say Bush and the US handled the situation quite poorly. Their decisions cost many more American lives than the 9/11 attacks themselves did. Bush & Co did a piss poor job of handling Afghanistan and Iraq. Their policies seem to benefit the MIC the most and our soldiers the least.

The Taliban offered to hand Osama bin Laden over to a third-party if the US stopped bombing them and if the US could produce any evidence OBL was behind the September 11th attacks...Bush refused.

Osama bin Laden maintained his innocence and not even the FBI accused him of anything "9/11". There is no way he'd get a fair trial or ever even make it to a courtroom to face the charges against him without choosing an 'independent' third-party country. We cannot suspend our founding principles, Constitution, or Rule of Law...especially in times of "war". That is ever more the time to uphold our traditions and values so we don't let big government erode our freedoms in the name of keeping us "safe".

It doesn't matter now because our government told us that OBL is dead. I do believe anyone associated with the 9/11 attacks is either dead or in jail...so...why aren't our troops coming home? :confused:

11. Apparently there's still a lot of debate on the usefullness of waterboarding, but I tend to think that it was helpful in gaining information that prevented more terrorst attacks.

Nuclear weapons are already being sought by al qaeda, so we'd better get used to the idea that if we do not eliminate a lot of these people, by whatever means we can, they'll eventually obtain nuclear technology to use against us.

12. #72 garrison68, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2011

The Taliban types have minds like children, very dangerous children.

They had to be in the wrong to not hand him over directly to us, they knew he did it. These are people who stone their women to death for nothing, the list of their crimes against humanity in Afghanistan would take up volumes. Do you really think that they are trustworthy, in any way, shape or form?

Bin laden was wanted by the FBI for previous attacks against the United States, even if for arguments sake he didn't plan and fund the events of 9/11 himself.

We just don't get it, and that includes our current and last president - the Islamic supremacists are insane, and much worse than the Japanese were during the 30's and 40's, which is saying something.

13. the main reason we won't withdraw is because the US doesn't want to be the next Russia. Sure their invasion was a complete disaster but at least they got the fuck out of there and cut their losses

14. fixed.

I don't know what's more maddening...the worlds "greatest" military being brought to its knees by some ragtag terrorists in the middle east or Americans actually believing this ragtag group is an imminent threat to the United States. No army, no air force, no navy. Nuclear weapons? Get real.

15. The US Government types, have minds like children. Very dangerous, sociopathic children.

Red herring aside. They offered him up for a few small demands, and we refused. Instead, thousands of Americans died and TRILLIONS of dollars were spent to catch the guy (still no photos or "proof" that we did mind you).

No, Bush KNEW he was behind 9/11. Actual proof be damned...

I'd imagine those insane people would leave us the fuck alone if we leave them the fuck alone. They are thousands of miles away from our country without a means to "attack" us. Well, our north and south borders are wide open..... :rolleyes:

16. Fixed

17. I'm not really a conspiracy theorist, but first there's the large amount of controversy surrounding Osama Bin Laden's death, and now somehow, an unguided missile just happened to hit a helicopter that, according to that article contained "22 Navy SEALs, most of whom belonged to Team 6, the unit whose members were involved in the raid that killed Osama bin Laden," this is a bit weird

18. Well, maybe they had a lucky shot. Things happen like that sometimes, I've had enough weird coincidences in my own life to attest to that.

There really isn't a "large amount of controversy surrounding osama bin laden's death".

19. Physical torture is unreliable as at a certain point people will say anything to make the pain stop.

that's why you gotta fuck with them psychologically.

20. That's were the christian mindset loses it when it comes to islamist terrorism, they don't want to fuck them where they breathe. I guarantee that there are people right here in my city that could break these people wide open without using waterboarding or any other unreliable methods of intense interrogation. :wave: