Worst Bumper Sticker ...

Discussion in 'General' started by castaneda, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Let somebody in traffic and saw this one ...

Nixon Resigned

Wtf?

2. it probably is just reminding people that he was never impeached, because most people still think he was

there were only two presidents that were impeached, clinton and johnson.

3. Maybe it's a subtle suggestion to George W. Bush

4. clinton was NOT impeached

5. Yes, he was. Impeachment is when the President is charged with a crime.

6. Criminal proceeding instituted against a public official by a legislative body. In the U.S. the president, vice president, and other federal officers, including judges, may be impeached by the U.S. House of Representatives. The House draws up articles of impeachment that itemize the charges and their factual bases. Once approved by a majority of House members, the articles are submitted to the Senate, which holds a trial. At its conclusion, each member votes for or against conviction on each article; conviction requires a two-thirds majority. A convicted official can be removed from office. The Constitution of the United States specifies that an officer is to be impeached for "high crimes and misdemeanors"; experts agree that impeachment is permitted for noncriminal misconduct (e.g., violation of the Constitution). Two U.S. presidents, Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton, were impeached; both were acquitted. In 1974, articles of impeachment were drawn up against Pres. Richard Nixon, who resigned before formal proceedings could begin. In Britain, where the House of Commons prosecutes and the House of Lords judges impeachment proceedings, impeachment was formerly a means by which Parliament could get rid of unpopular ministers, usually court favourites protected by the monarch. The procedure fell into disuse in the early 19th century, when cabinet ministers became responsible to Parliament rather than to the sovereign.
    Source: http://www.answers.com/topic/impeachment

I guess that's where that bumper sticker could have come from.

7. correct, saying he was impeached would be like saying he was put on trial, not removed from office.

8. as i remember it, but this was back in like 7th grade for me, clinton was put on the block for being impeached but when they voted on it it was just under the 2/3 majority and so the case was tossed and he finished his term. but he was never punished, nor was taken from his position. and even though impeachment means to charge a public official with a crime, he was not impeached because he was never punished for it.

its like saying to a guy, we are charging you with murder, then when they find him not guilty, that still doesnt make him a murderer, he was just a suspect in the case.

9. I think Sky Dog has nailed it.

Nixon resign for much less of a fuck up. George Bush is still smiling that smug dumb smile and straddling the nuke.

Bush administration = FUBAR

10. Things started out at SNAFU then turned into TARFU and finally we arrived at FUBAR. I agree with everything you are saying and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

11. I always thought it was Andrew Jackson that got impeached, not Johnson.

12. oh shit he got you there. thats actually the truth.

and what about a newsletter? if its real then hell i would read it.

13. It was Johnson that was impeached.

14. Wow, you guys really need to brush up on your US History.

Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton were the only two presidents that have ever been impeached.

15. Not at all. Look it up. Impeachment is simply bringing someone up on charges. Your analogy doesn't apply at all. impeachment is not a crime. You are never punished for being impeached. You're punished for breaking the law that got you impeached. Maybe semantics, maybe it's actually important, i don't know.

The way impeachment works is there's a vote in the house of representatives as to whether or not charges should be filed. I believe the official term for the bill or whatever that the house has to pass is called the "articles of impeachment." Regardless of what it's called, it outlines the allegations. If passed with a simple majority, the individual has been impeached.

It then goes to the senate, where the actual trial is held. At this point, a 2/3 majority is needed for removal from office. Clinton didn't get removed, but he DID get impeached.

Nope. Andrew Johnson, 17th president, the one after lincoln. Not lyndon B., the guy you were probably thinking of.

no, it's not. check some facts.

A little about Johnson's impeachment:

It was over the newly passed Tenure of Office Act, which stated that a president could not remove an appointed official from office without senate approval. in 1867, Johnson suspended Secretary of War Edwin Stanton pending the next session of congress. Congress refused to ratify the removal. Johnson then tried to appoint a new Secretary of War, which got him promptly impeached. The law was later repealed, and a similar law was later found to be unconstitutional. Homeboy got impeached for violating an illegal law.

16. Yep pretty lame. The Tenure of Office Act was passed in order to protect Edwin Stanton too. And the funny thing about the law, it actually didn't protect Stanton, because Stanton was appointed by Lincoln and NOT Johnson. The Tenure of Office Act only protected officials appointed by the President himself. He was also charged with a few other charges too.

17. can people just accept that johnson and clinton were the only presidents IMPEACHED and that both of them were indeed impeached.

jackson was never impeached, the first one was involved in madison v marbury if thats what people are referncing, but that was after his last term.

18. just going back over threads I'd posted in and remembered this one.

Have to say that why I started the thread is because it amused me this guy was still holding on so tight to whatever that he actually put the sticker on his car.

wow ... holy shit ... wow, got to make some meaning one way or another I guess

kind of makes the people with the I heart something stuff look good imo

19. I've seen that one.

My bumper sticker says "I <3 Nappy Headed Ho's" :D

20. lol

I love nappy hos > nixon resigned