Worried About My Progress

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by p0tluck, Nov 21, 2014.

1. This is what my plants look like at somewhere around 6 days after sprouting, minus the really little one. Is this okay? Or should they have progressed further? They were a little far from my lights and they started reaching pretty bad so I adjusted them closer. Are they gonna be alright? If they are lacking progress, could it be because they've been focused on getting taller and not growing leaves?

Attached Files:

2. It is probably your lighting.

3. They look okay, fairly normal, but more light is needed.  At least 100w of bulbs (that's 100 actual watts not equivilent, I imagine that one in the picture is probably 20w or thereabouts), and if you are growing 6 plants.... I wouldn't recommend it under just CFLs bulbs, but if so I'd split them in to two groups of 3, have 6-8 CFLs per group.  Even if it's all in the same space, treating them like two grows will encourage you not to skimp on the light, because they really need it.

they'er always slow at the start, although some are faster than others.  Give them time, but more light!

4. You can buy an MH/HPS kit on amazon for 150. It comes with everything you need to start growing lightwise. A Metal halide light for vegging and a high pressure bulb for flowering both are 600w so it will be more than enough lighting for a few plants or more.

5. #5 howando, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2014
    Yeah once you start growing 3-4 plants using CFLs, you either need to get a LOT of bulbs which takes space and generates a lot of heat, or you need a couple of big CFL grow lights with reflectors.  You need a light-proof space for it all, it is more likely to need ventilating because of the heat, and filtering from the smell of all the plants especially in flower unless that is not a problem for your security.

And at that point, getting all that stuff in a kit you can assemble starts to make a lot of sense, even though it seems like an expensive purchase it's actually good value for money.

When looking at tents and lights, a rule of thumb is about 50+ watts per square foot, so something like 80x80cm (about 3x3 feet, a little less) with a 400w lamp would be about right for about 6 plants.  You could go a little smaller but heat will be more difficult at 400w.  You only need one bulb though, I'd suggest just a HPS bulb, it will do for the entire grow.  MH ones are better for veg growth it's true, but it's not really worth bothering unless you know what you're doing to get the best from your plants already.

If you keep 6 plants consider a serious upgrade.  If you want to stick to a small, low budget test grow you will be very very disappointed with 6 plants, keep the best 1 or 2 and put all your focus in to those.

6. So, if I want all my plants to flourish, then I need to provide more light, but if I don't want to buy more lights then I need to get rid of some plants?

7. They are saying that if you use just those lights and try to grow six plants, they will probably have problems and not do well. If you upgrade your lights, then you would definitely beable to suitably grow and yield well off of your plants. If you keep what lights you have, then it would be more beneficial for 1 or 2 plants.

8. Okay thank you! And about how long do I have before it's absolutely necessary to upgrade. I'm a little low on funds atm.

9. Well, you could wait a couple of weeks. The plants might stay stunted and low in growth until you switch

10. You need to get the lights closer. That is why they're stretching. I've successfully vegged 7-8 plants under 3-4 23w CFLs for a couple weeks and the nodes were nice and dense but CFLs have to be within 2" or else stretching will occur.

11. What did you do about flowering them?  No way did you flower 8 plants under 80 watts of CFLs!

Getting the lights closer is another good reason for needing more lights, if you have 1 bulb it hard to get it close to more  than 1 or 2 plants and the rest suffer.

12. I agree with everyone here.  The light is lacking.

That being said.  For 6 days under average old CFL they are doing ok, aside from the strech.  Listen to CanadianOrganic.  Getting it closer to the light will help a lot to prevent stretch.

I don't want to discourage you though.  My very first grow when I was 16 was with shitty lights and I ended up harvesting probably only and eighth of bunk ass herb.  But ya know what?  It was totally fuckin worth it! :smoking:
    Grow on man!  Keep trying.  The little bit you will learn this time will prove valuable for your next attempt.

13. #13 CanadianOrganic, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2014
    Hahah this was only temporary as I took down my set-up in anticipation of moving. They're currently in a 3x3 with a mars 2 900 and later today will be going into a 4x4 with a 600w HID and the Mars :D
    They're still vegging, just getting to a month old today. Awww my little babies. ^.^

Just for the record they were only vegging under the CFLs for ~two and a half weeks :p

^^^ this.  AT the end of the day, smoking something you grew yourself is still pretty sweet even if it's only a couple of hits, and it's all learning through experience.  Second grows go way better if the first grow is a bit sketchy.

15. I really appreciate everyone s input. I'll make the changes thanks guys.