worried about hermies

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Panda85, Sep 18, 2012.

1. i started a NL x SK cross from world of seeds a while back. now i have a bunch of clones of it and currently week 3 of flower. its shooting out pistils like crazy and some leaves are starting to get a little resign on them. when you rub the resign it has a slight funk smell to it and doesnt really smell strong like most plants ive grown. im getting freaked out that its a hermie. it was a feminized seed, which im not to fond of.

a few other grows i found hermies that smelled exactly the same and had a lack of smell and had a slight funk smell to it. the other plants were feminized seeds also, strawberry caugh, and blue berry. i also had the same problem with another clone i got from a friend..

anyone else ever come across plants like this? faint smell, slightly funky, no sacks or bananas, but they start shooting bananas at about week 5 or 6. well thats what happened with the others that i had. im hoping all is well but i have a feeling they are going to go herm.:eek:

2. I havent grown a crossbreed but i do have some expirience with pure NL. about 3-4 into flowering i got my panties in a bunch becuse i was sure a cat took a leak in my crop or something was molding in places i couldnt see. it turns out NL just smells funky like that so a hint of catpiss is normal :p. but when i touch a bud and smell my hand it smells like it should. Good luck.

3. yeh its not quite the same smell as the other hermies ive found in the past. it doesnt smell much at all and does kind of have an earthy smell with a hint of cat piss lol. in veg the plant was quite skunky so i was expecting more of the fruity skunk smell from it. never grown anything with NL in it so this is my first time around with it. im liking the growth and strenght of the plant, lets hope the bud turns out well and looking like it should be a decent yield.

heres some pics
    -out of focus macro of 1 of the clones
    [​IMG]

-main stem before cutting branches off
    [​IMG]
    -and after trimming a lot of the lower growth
    [​IMG]

-2 of the clones about 4-5 weeks old from clone, getting big fast
    [​IMG]

- and the top view of the larger plant, about 10weeks old from seed
    [​IMG]

4. now they smell just like the hermie plants that i had in the past... could it be possible that it is just the genetics of the plants were similar? anyone know if strawberry caugh, and blueberry from dutch passion have similar parents or NL or SK in them? ive never bought, smoked, or grown anything that has smelled like these plants. they barely smell at all, but once you get some resign on your fingers..the best i can describe it is.. kind of dirty, earthy, musky stink.

the strawberry cough and blueberry smelled exactly the same and both went hermie mid to late flower and all clones did the same exact thing. a friend of mine decided to try and smoke the blueberry and he said it was terrible smoke, tasted just like it smelled, except he described the taste like a burned pot roast and burned carrots lol. ended up making all the buds into hash for edibles.

is it possible that the smell is from the plants being genetic hermies?

im getting mixed feelings on keeping the plant or not, the big one is about 2.5ft diameter and takes up a ton of room and drinks a ton of water and nutrients. if the bud turns out like the blueberry and strawberry cough i had in the past, it will be a waste of time and money.

i have a few other mother plants to take clones off of but wont be ready for flower for about another 5 weeks. i already started taking more clones from the c99 and killed 2 clones i started of this nl x sk. im kind of mad at myself for flowering a bunch of these instead of flowering a couple of each strain i started.

any info on why these plants smell funky would be helpful. ive smoked for several years and grown for about 10years and never seen such shitty smelling plants..

5. calm down :D. Now NL is known for not smelling alot and smelling wierd so i would give them a chance before you decide to chop them down becuse you suscpect this. btw that stalk looks like it could be used as firewood nice job.

6. lol yeh it has extremely strong branches, and ive heard of nl not smelling the greatest and having a low odor while flowering...but its strange how all of the strains smell exactly the same, and now this one. ill let it finish but its driving me nuts. i was hoping it would have had more of the skunk genetics but its looking mostly indica from the nl. if it does end up to be a genetic hermie, thats 4 dif strains to be genetic hermies, this year :eek:

the c99 i was growing was awesome smoke but the branches were weak and not a huge producer so i started some new strains. it was almost pure sativa and super stretchy so i quit growing it for now but kept a mom and started a new pheno of it. now im wishing i would have had some ready to go with this run!

im slowly getting everything ready for a rdwc setup for a sog grow so i dont end up with a monster plant that goes retarded like the ones previously this year and possibly this one.

thanks for the input :D

7. your plants look awesome! just let them go! I've grown strains that don't really starting to smell until the last week. Great job!

8. calm down you can NOT smell gender, trust me you are being massively paranoid

9. well i had some hermies in the past from stress and it did not effect the smell at all, but i find it ironic that 4 plants(different strains) all smelled the same and were hermies no matter how well they looked and how healthy they were(genetic hermies) ive also read of some other people seeing the same thing, having "that" same smell. ill still def let it finish up.. so far no signs of it being pollinated, all pistils still super white.

10. #11 ArabianCrime, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2012
    Micro scope, slides and dies. You should be able to find what ever is in there. There are dies that highlight all sorts of stuff. Look for nonsens not adding up with other plants cells, then you have a good starting point.

maybe a cell working faster or maybe it's that little dodad doing something you just found in the cell from the area question base it from all the other plants , then you stumble on the prXblem. You might be able to get a cheapo microscope used somewhere, good light, clear, an older one would work fine, something vintage.

11. #12 missevo, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2012
    im just about to go into my fith week of flowering my first plant...i have threads if u wanna take a peek.....im worried myself as I've found small clusters of seeds at the bottom buds....now my question is this -if i leave it to ripen and take its natural course, get upto 60-70% amber pistils and cloudy to amber trichs would this mess up my buds THC quality wise....ive LST'd her she has very nice top colas that seem unaffected, its all below the canopy i see seed sacks.......or shall i harvest now?

Does anyone know how this will it affect this lovely female growing balls!!!.... she's showing about 40% orange at best the rest nice and white & starting to glaze over

any help would be wicked

cheers G.C peeps Missevo

12. missevo, let her finish up. If you haven't seen any seeds in the buds, just at the base, it sounds like your plant was pollinated when only the pre-flowers were showing. Just make sure you don't have any open pollen sacs in there and you should be fine.

13. thanks for the quick reply....have a peek, untill now ive been so happy with the help i got of GC and again more help so thank you, i want to let her finish up.....i cant understand how she was pollenated during the pre-flower stage.....can u tell me what a open pollen sack would look like....i just pulled off some pods..they contained mostly mush and one or two actual white seeds......hope all works out had planned to harvest in 3 more weeks but im sure if i keep to that she'll be a good smoke for the winter moons! cheers Missevo