Worms?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ProdigalSun, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Anybody use worms in their indoor gardens?

Seems like a good way to keep healthy soil indoors. Aeration, the worms do drill holes in the soil, they wont eat live roots, they excrete nutrients, and if they die, you have a fertilizer stick lol.

2. Ive wondered about that myself

subbed

3. I had worms in my soil when I bought it actualy they shoudn't be any diference betwyn indoor or outgrow.They almost keep the moisture coz they boddy mucus

4. I grew one plant and used worms, but I dont have anything to compare to. Just seems to make sense.

5. Just use them there are great noth indoor or outdoor

6. So open up a can of worms for some whoop-ass bud?

7. Ive decided Im going to try a side by side
    as soon as I have more clones and a worm bin set up

8. Sweet, you can hijack the thread if you want. :cool: Seriously.

9. haha okie :)

It would be a lot easier using this thread rather then trying to remember to post a link here when I do it xD too baked haha

I could really start my worm bin indoors at any time , as its too cold outside right meow
    but im not sure where to start looking for worms in the winter, need to get around to figuring that out .. lol

but until then no worms,

and more clones soonish , but again , not right away

10. A good pet supply or bait shop will have them. Think pet food, and ice fishing.

11. #11 azcactus, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2013
    So would canadian night crawlers be best or just earth worms?

Here's a link to buy worms and cheap too. Cheaper than Amazon.

http://unclejimswormfarm.com

12. Im guessing that more smaller worms might do better than a couple large ones.

13. The pet store I go to for my snakes food doesnt have red wrigglers
    they have some other kind though I cant remember what kind, or what the other kinds that are good for composting are :p

Ill look when I go get some more dead babies for my snakey

There are a couple more pet stores & etc around I could check , Ill find them as soon as I have a chance to :)

Do you know the names of other good composting worms that are gentle with roots ?

14. Look for red wigglers or earth worms. Red wigglers I believe reproduce faster and will make more castings than earth worms. I could be wrong. But that's what I remember reading. I am 100% sure that those red wigglers and earth worms are both great types of worms for a worm bin. You can't go wrong either way.

15. Seriously check out the link above. Uncle Jim even sales FoFarm products. Some with free shipping. I am going to order 500 worms. They are 2" to 3" long but are bir eaters and compost producers. Placing my order now to add to my soil I have mixed in a huge plastic tub, but haven't got into my smart pots yet.
    Can't hurt the plants any.

16. Jerry have you even tried putting a worm in one of your plants pots during growth?

17. Her's from his site homepage:

Thanks for your interest in Uncle Jim's Worm Farm
    I specialize in Red Wigglers - Composting Worms. I've been raising Red Wiggler Worms and Mealworms for over 40 years. I've raised African Night Crawlers, Canadian Night Crawlers and Gray Night Crawlers. However, I cannot find a tougher, quicker breeding and easier composting worm to raise than the Red Wigglers in a worm bin!
    1000 Red Wigglers Price: $18.9 List Price: $27.95
    You Save: $9.00

When your food scraps pile up, don't throw them out. Get yourself some red wrigglers. They are only 1 -3 inches in length, and are about as thin as a pencil lead, but don't call them little. When these guys group together, they become a voracious force, consuming anything in their path.

18. I have many worms in my organic soil - they have been in these same pots for several years now and dont seem to be going anywhere. I topdress occasionally with homemade vermicompost and believe they originated from cocoons that were in the vermicompost. They do provide aeration, drainage, of course a constant supply of fresh castings and help break down organic matter - what could be better? It is an ideal situation to me.

j

19. I recon you'd be better off just adding worm castings and perlite rather than relying on an unstable population of worms. Just my opinion.