Worms in the soil?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by JohnnyWeedSeed, Jun 3, 2018.

1. I just transplanted my outdoor plants into 5 gal buckets full of Happy Frog potting soil and will be feeding organic nutes and fish emulsion. I'm wondering if tossing some worms into the buckets will help the organic process.

"Let it be written, let it be done. Slowly I walk toward the fractured light."

• Like Like x 1
  2. you would be better off buying some worm castings instead or setting up compost with the worms.
    Vermicompost - Wikipedia

• Like Like x 1
  3. My soil has worm castings, bat guano amid some other microbial shit. Just wondering if there is any advantages to live worms rather than castings.

"Let it be written, let it be done. Slowly I walk toward the fractured light."

4. not really there isn't much of anything in your soil that the worms would need to break down.

5. Just use good quality worm castings.

6. Worms are a great addition to any organic soil! why add castings when you can have them made fresh in the soil right where the plants can use them?
    I have red wrigglers in all my pots and the plants love them, they provide not only castings but help to aerate the soil via the tunnels they dig and they do not harm the plants.
    Actually, most everyone that practices no-till gardening will add some worms to the soil.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Do you make your own castings? If not, you REALLY should start a worm bin. Probably the single most significant thing you can do AFA organic growing. Period!

I no longer purposely add worms to the soil, but the soil always has worms from the fresh VC, either cocoons or worms missed collecting the VC.

Using fresh castings pretty much guarantees worms in the soil. Or, add some, but get some in there.
    Cheers

Wet

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. @wetdog Can I add them into already established plant pots? I have some 10 gallons going that I am thinking of adding them too.

9. Of course you can, but doing this just remember that smaller worms or, juveniles adapt better than full grown adults to new environments and cocoons better yet.

Wet

• Like Like x 1
  10. Worms are the key ingredient in my soil.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. are those worms the little white rigglers?

12. Yep. Those are the babies. My pots are riddled with them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Worm populations are stronger than ever. I got WORMS!

• Like Like x 1