Worms and Chemicals

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Livin Sublime, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Quick question. I just filled my 7 gallon buckets and pre-soaked them in 1 gallon of water mixed with 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt. I will be using 1-tablespoon of MG Plant Food with 1 gallon of water for the following waterings. I want to add 5-6 earthworms per pot before I put the plants in tomorrow but I am worried that since I am using a chemical based fertilizer, it might kill the worms. Is there a high chance of them dying just from the fertilizer?

2. Listen, honestly, I used MG for quite awhile before learning about organic fertilization and I've got to say its not all THAT horrible for the novice to use. Now granted, you can use too much and just make everything go to shit as well as taste bad when its harvest time, (but that goes without saying for most any form of fertilizer, chem or not ). What I'm getting at is that its not all bad and can be used safely with a little bit of knowledge regarding whats in it, @ what strengths, and how its going to perform in the soil that you've amended and/or bought. I still use a tad bit on my pepper beds early in the season and trust me, there are earth worms all in my soil, so they must not mind it too much:D

Here's a better option: Learn organics, it will pay off and they are free, just look around in your yard!

3. Are you worried about killing the worms? Get over it.

4. Thanks!

This will be my first grow (starting from scratch) on a very tight budget so I did use organics in my soil. It's about 30% homade compost (rabbit droppings) and the rest is just peatmoss and perlite. Nothing crazy but it'll work. I will try to find something organic as far as fertilizer goes. I just don't like the though of chemical being used.

5. #5 Dr Lowtie, Dec 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2008
    if your goin to use MG (i do not reccomend) use 1/4 tsp per gallon or less!! The compost will provide the rest:D Wait until the plants are a few weeks old to add the worms when the soil will hold more water.

6. Thanks for that. I used the recommended amount it said on the box for small plants (1 tablespoon per gallon) but it came out very dark. I will trash that and try much less.