worm castings

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by TheGrimReaper, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Do worm castings alone make a good soil?

2. nope...there are simple soil mixes all over the web if you want to mix your own...or you can buy prebagged soil(but be careful using soils with "time release" ferts)

Numb

3. #3 toke-tacular, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2010
    I would'nt go as far as to say that however,
    Ive used wiggle worm earth worm castings and have seen good results. I layered my gals soil with them and trust me she definitely isn't complaining about that ;)

here is some stuff to back me

Why all the excitement over worm-doo?

* Castings are an all purpose organic fertilizer that come to you straight from nature with no alterations whatsoever.

* Castings contain high concentrations of beneficial bacteria and microbes added by the earthworm in the digestive process. These microscopic creatures help different elements of the soil work to create healthy, working soil that provides the best possible atmosphere for optimum plant growth.

* Castings improve soil structure with their noncompacting miniature particles

* Castings contain rich proportions of water soluble nutrients.

Research shows that compared to the soil itself, earthworm castings are high in bacteria and organic matter, total and nitrate nitrogen, exchangeable calcium and magnesium, available phosphorus and potassium, pH and percentage base saturation and cation exchange capacity.

In other words, castings are a sterile, odorless means to condition your soil as well as an organic and natural way to provide your plants with the nutrients they need, when they need them. Scientists have shown that castings work extremely well in promoting lush plant growth, but to this day, they still are not exactly sure why they work as well as they do. It just goes to show that Mother Nature knows best.

The simple fact is that earthworm castings were created by nature for the purpose of promoting optimum plant growth and everything required to provide it, is found in them. When you concentrate this odorless, non-burning miracle of nature in greater concentrations then usually found in nature, the results are truly spectacular.

edit: stond

4. Good info toke.........I tried to rep you but i gotta spread some around:D......

5. well I still wouldnt put a plant in straight worm castings...I use them just not as a pure soil.

6. I think toke said he layers his soil with castings......I definitely wouldn't use them as straight soil either, but they sure make for a great amendment. I'd say hands down the very BEST amendment you can use.

I just went to the local worm farm and filled an 18 gallon tote with some fresh castings......I like to have them on hand.

7. I hear ya chunk...I was really just talking about the OP. I dont layer my soil with EWC but it is a part of my soil mix. I agree great way to fert.

Chunk guessing you got that from NWredworms? I still have a large number of spring tails in the batch I got last time from him. I was going to just use them but read they can cause issues in soil grows.:confused:

Hopefully they are not in yours aswell,
    Numb

8. I just Wiki'd springtails, I hadn't heard of them before you told me about them.......I didn't see any, but really haven't dug through them....there were a lot of cocoons, so i may end up with my own worm farm lol.

Have you ever used Diatomaceous Earth? I mix DE in my soils along with the glacial rock dust. I use it for the silica it adds to the soil, but it also kills insects by cutting the exoskeleton, and drying the insect to death:devious:.

I use DE all around my place........I sprinkle it my chicken coops, also sprinkle around the yard to kill fleas and ants, and I put it in the chicken's food. It's supposed to help with parasites. It definitely helps kill mites on the chickens, and top dressing your soil with it can kill spider mites,(but not all of them)

I'll have to go dig through the EWC with a magnifying glass see what's up. Anyway, thanks for the heads up. You ought to call NW Redworms and ask about them.

Take care _numb_.......just realized I'm starting to hijack TGR's thread.....sorry.

chunk

9. I have my own little worm farm, and I don't use more than 1 part castings to 4 parts soil when I make my soil mix.

10. Sorry to cut in off topic from the OP but on the issue of springtails,

I was actually considering writing up a post on them the other day myself. My soil is is literally teaming with them. My homemade compost is one source for sure but I think the worm casting I use has them too. I've done a considerable amount of research on these little suckers and while there are a handful of cases where specific springtail species can be detrimental to certain crops, they're generally regarded as beneficial insects in organic gardens. They assist in the decomposition and processing of organic materials and making them available for plants, feed on decaying organic matter, parasitic fungi, bacteria, algae and mold.

In my experience you can grow perfectly healthy plants in soils with even large springtail populations, and I think my current grow is a testament to that.

:wave:

11. Thanks for the heads up smoove......after _numb_'s post I was trippin'.........we get our castings from the same worm farm. I looked through mine and didn't see any but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

It's good to know that they haven't harmed anything in your grow, By the looks of your buds, they've helped:D. Nice job on your scrog grow.......that's some good looking weed.