Worm Castings

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by BudMASTAH, Mar 17, 2012.

1. So how effective are worm castings? I hear they are great and on the plus side its organic. Does it change PH at all? And during what cycle should I be feeding my babies some worm castings? Lemme know ssity:smoke:

2. Heya BudMASTAH,

Wormcastings/Vermicompost/EWC........They are far and away the most important amendment you can add to your soil mix.

Not only do they improve growth, but they help protect against pests and disease. Check out this video from Cornell University:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFGQR5ERaPQ"]Vermicompost a Living Soil Amendment - YouTube[/ame]

Hope you're enjoying Grasscity,

chunk

• Like Like x 1
  3. I like using worm castings on all my plants. Even the weeds and grass that grows next to my raised garden bed is three times bigger then the surrounding grass. I've also mixed powder worm castings (2-1-1) with MiracleGrow seed starting mix. Once i did a test and i found that adding 10-15% worm castings to my seed starting mix increased growth and germination 2x compared to the control group of just mg soil and no castings. I also found that when I added 20% or more castings, it started to kill them.

4. Thanks for the video it gave me some good insight.

Thanks for letting me know about the test you conducted. Have you ever used worm castings for flowering stage as well as vegging? (So far I'm assuming worm castings are for vegging and promoting plant growth)

5. Usually the NPK of worm castings is around 2-1-1 so I only use it during veg and mostly during the first month. After that I'll go fish emulations which is 5-1-1 or anything else higher in nitrogen. But lots of people only use worm castings during the whole veg. cycle and do fine. Plus you don't have to worry about heavy metals like mercury as much, like you do with fish and other animals

6. Thanks for the tips dude. I was actually thinking of just using foxfarm nutes for flowering but very moderated in small doses just to promote slightly better bud growth than being totally organic. If you've got thoughts on that be sure to let me know. Thanks again for the tips on worm castings i'm on my way to buy some for my garden this summer.

7. uh... I just thought i'd add that worm castings will never burn or harm plants. you can plant into %100 castings with no adverse effect (besides maybe some compaction). I would hedge my username it was the MG that "started to kill them." Then as far as the NPK, that is a misleading way to describe worm castings. Vermicompost is useful for all phases - veg, flower, germination, what ever. I seriously doubt that discussing vermicompost's NPK is useful for any thing, it is simply a vital part of any soil mix, like chunk says, and it is indispensable at all times for plant health. If you are having some kind of issue with this, consider it's a paradigm of sustainable organics vs. bottled nutrient. hint: trying to use vermicompost from the perspective of organics will be easier than as a bottled (or powdered) nutrient.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. They are the shit lol

• Like Like x 1

9. So you would recommend vermicompost for flowering rather than using bottled fox farm nutes to promote bud growth? Interesting. Organic is def easier to control so I will take that into consideration.

How do you apply worm castings/vermicompost to a foxfarm soil/less potting soil? Do I just sprinkle it on? I'd appreciate some guidance or perhaps some links to threads that I can get some more info from.

Thanks for the info so far guys really appreciate it, keep it toking :smoke:

10. You can over fertilizer a lot of plants with worm castings. Its weak, so it's more forgiving, but you can still kill by over fertilizing them. If you want to see for yourself try going out some bag seed or go to Walmart and buy a pack of lettuce seeds or legume seeds (like sugar snap peas) for 99 cents.

Another tip I learned over the years. If you grow legumes in winter, you can directly sow cannabis seeds, and you won't have to fertilize until the plants start flowering, because legumes can make their own nitrogen. Rotating crops also cuts down on disease and allows you to use the same soil over and over.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. I went to my local Hydro shop todhay and asked them about their worm castings. They told me there is no nitrogen in them but it consists of natural elements such as mag and what not. That was a surprise. Higher up in the thread someone mentioned something about it being (2-1-1) NPK.. Maybe my hydro location doesnt provide those kinds of worm castings.

Any thoughts on that?

I found a very good thread on grasscity. The posters name is SG1 and he lets everyone know the simplicity behind growing the old school K.I.S.S. way.. I don't think over feeding will be an issue for me. I believe that plants should be fed moderately and not drowned in these substances that would not be found in their natural environment. Thanks for the warning VINDICATED I will def be careful when feeding my girls.

12. Always look at the npk. The government requires it on fertilizers so poor farmers don't get ripped off. If it didn't have the npk don't buy it. Also worm castings is usually 1-0-0 or 2-1-1. That means 1% or 2% nitrogen, which is very low but still there.

13. I searched it on the internet and the worm castings they were selling does include nitrogen.. I wonder why the lady at the store would tell me it dident have it.. It even says so on the site.. Ahhh damn clerks getting their customers jumbled up. Thanks for the help VINDICATED.

If you're curious this is the bag i'm interested in purchasing for worm castings lemme know what you think.

African Nightcrawler Wormcastings are one of nature's best soil amendment.
    A rich, odorless, all-natural organic product that is extremely cost-effective because you use just a little to achieve big results.

An excellent source of Nitrogen and trace elements.

Guaranteed Analysis:
    Nitrogen: 1.2
    Phosphorus: 0.07
    Potassium: 0.11
    Magnesium: 0.13
    Calcium: 0.47

:smoke:

14. As far as I am aware vermicompost and/or pure worm castings should not take the place of fertilizer, but instead should be used as a supplement to your normal fertilizing regime. The main benefit of vermicompost lies in it's bacterial activity not necessarily it's nutrient profile, although it generally does provide a balanced composition of all of the macro- and micro-nutrients. I'm also pretty sure that the NPK ratio changes depending on the feedstock. Worm castings are also usually neutral in pH, which means that they will decrease the acidity of acid soils or decrease the alkalinity of alkaline soils.

Vermicompost - Nature's Ultimate Fertilizer

• Like Like x 1
  15. #15 hope2toke, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2012
    nice quote. Yeah! budmastah you'll love the worm castings. get the benefits by amending it, topdressing it, and making aerated compost tea. add some kelp meal in for the extra kick.

Any composted organic material ends up mostly as nitrogen that explains why your NPK will include nitrogen- it also may explain why it has no NPK- it's composted. Who knows exactly what compost's nutrient profile is like. It's much easier to stick your hand in a bag of vermicompost and see the health with beetles, millipedes, pot worms, red worms, and that earthy sweet smell of ready to go vermicompost.

If it doesn't include an NPK you have a sign to be suspicious- ask the worm farmer a few questions. Maybe they feed their worms rock dusts and oyster shell flour and you'd be missing out on "da kine" by choosing a bag of commercial wiggle worm instead.

16. Of course it could be the strain, but I have two plants right next to each other, one in a seed starting mix of peat moss and vermiculite, the other on a homemade mix of peat moss, vermiculite and worm castings. The plant in the homemade mix is 1 week younger but the stem is much thicker and it is on its 3rd node while the other is just starting the 3rd. The younger plant is probably already big enough to transplant from its party cup at 11 days. It is the best start I've had in my very limited grow experience, and the only one I've started so far in a mix with WC.

17. Right On Brother Jericho

18. Plant on the left is a Sweet Seeds Green Poison, one on the right is Nirvana PPP. These were mentioned above. The GP is 19 days old from sprout, the PPP 12. Both are getting transplanted tonight (I always wait until the end of the light cycle), the GP because it is hungry (see bottom leaves) and the PPP because it is getting too big for cup.

Attached Files:

19. Oh, and correction to post #16 above, PPP is on 4th (maybe 5th, hard to see) node and there are secondary branches already on all of the existing lower nodes.

20. Wow and to think I was about to start my first grow without worm castings..Definitely gonna grab some now lol :smoke: